Thread: Campbell Airstrip Trails Today

Talking Campbell Airstrip Trails Today

Finally some (semi) dry trails to play on! I was getting tired of the pavement and thought I had a couple more weeks to go if I was going to avoid rutting out the local trails, but a friend pointed me towards the Campbell Tract after he rode it this weekend. There were a few wet spots, but if you stick on the graveled trails the conditions are awesome! Nobody out there, either. I think I passed one other bike and three walkers in an hour and a half of riding. What an awesome trail system that is, too. I'm just learning it, but the possibilities are endless out there. Easy to get turned around, but man...what a great system. There is some great single-track as well, but that is still very soft, so I recommend sticking to the wider, dryer trails for the time being. Get out there and enjoy!

Brian,

What access did you use to the trails? I'm familiar with the trails around the bragaw extension, the BLM lot, as well as the N&S Bivoac trailheads.

I parked at the Campbell Airstrip parking lot right off of Campbell Airstrip Road. I was out there again today - such a fun trail system!

Default Tour of Anchorage Trail

Brian,
    I am assuming you parked at mile 1.1 in the parking lot off of the corner and by the bridge. If this is the case, is the Tour trail up to Service rideable? Rideable without leaving too many deep ruts that is...

Thank you in advance for your reply.

-Chris

Mostly. I took a wrong turn (I'm still learning those trails) and eventually ended up over by service. I had to walk my bike around a few mudholes so that I didn't rut up the trails, but for the most part those trails are looking good. If it stays nice for a few more days, I imagine that they'll be in good shape by next week sometime. I think I'm going again on Monday, so I'll let you know.

Maybe the reason no one was out there is cuz the trails are technically closed to bikes until Memorial Day weekend. People break that rule all the time. After they tear the signs down Maybe if the city / BLM posted updated information, they could note which trails are dry / firm and open them early while keeping wheels off the mud.

Didn't realize, maxie - I'll have to look into that. I'm new to that trail system, but got the update that there were dry trails from two friends who are both very responsible users of that system and who contribute to their upkeep. I assure you I didn't tear down any signs, nor did I see any remnant of seasonal signage. Hmm... Incidentally, I did talk to a BLM employee in the parking lot and he just told me to have a good ride. If the trails are indeed closed, he sure didn't mention it.

I heard that rumor last year after biking the same area; didn't put much stock in it as I actually ran into one of the BLM guys back there and he didn't say anythin' about it. If they are closed they definitely need to put better signage up. A good amount of those trails are rideable before labor day weekend.

~Jon

I did see a sign posted by the power station on Tudor, just East of Bragaw. I also recall seeing some signs last year.