Thread: Help me choose a sled....

Default Help me choose a sled....

Ok While I under stand Brand loyalty, ( I am GM Service Advisor) I need some advice.

Lets Not turn this into a Pissing contest... PLEASE!

About Me... 6' "5 300 lbs (ish and losing not going up hoping to end up 250-260) skill level rode for a few seasons (12-14 y/o but comp hockey took over) but Im 32 now and havent been but a few times since on a 04 F6 and a 02 tundra. The F

What I am wanting to do rideing wise 40% trail, 40% off trail, 20% mountain

From what Im told Im looking for an 600(ish)cc and a 144(ish) track. I'd like to keep the budget in the 8k range...I guess the highest contender is the 600 Summit. Anything else I should be looking at?

the wife is going to end up with the sled in about 3-4 years...

Lets Not turn this into a Pissing contest... PLEASE!

I told you my opinion yesterday.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

See what you can get the best deal on. Yamaha's are a little heavier, but the 4stroke are supposed to be more reliable. Any of the 600s with a 144/151ish track will do everything you want and more.

Go to each dealer and see how they feel. You'll want a 6" riser on the handlebars to make it a little more comfortable and maybe up the shocks a little bit.

I'd say given your size you'll probably want a longer track and more power, but that comes down to snow conditions as well. In deep powder or going up steep terrain I think you would find a 144" 600 lacking. Lots of good sleds out there, but you might want to narrow down your search by trying to refine how and where you will be riding.

I guess it comes down to would you rather have a more nimble sled on the trail, or would you rather be digging out that more nimble sled in deep snow.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I am 32yo, chose competitive hockey as a kid, am 6'5" tall and was 297lbs at my heaviest last riding season. I have an 800 with a 155" track. I have NEVER wished for less horsepower and the longer track has gotten me out of a lot more trouble than it has gotten me into. My wife is 5'3" tall and she rides an 600 with a 144.....

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I told you my opinion yesterday.
    let me guess Tundra?

A track in the 154 range is recommended. Not too long not too short. Track width is up to you. 600 2 stroke will be okay as a beginner. Depending on how much you ride, you may find yourself wanting to upgrade sooner than you planned. Don't let yourself focus on just the mountain sleds. Lots of other choices that may fit the bill.

I have had quite a few of 600s.... the only diffrence is that with a 800 you get more torque at lower RPM and more "HP" at the top end. I dont beleive that more HP=danger, you just have to let up on the throttle sooner.

me being about 280 lbs it feels like im floggin a 600 too much... i get on my 800 and it doset seem to have to "work" so hard, aka i dont have to be hauling ***** to get up a hill....

Having said that, get a slightly more "trail" orinated machine. One that is a four stroke, with a 144/151 ish track, about a 1 inch to a 1.5 inch paddle. This should be a sweet learning sled, that the wife (or anyone) can play on easily. You wont be able to high mark with it, but hey, it should be able to cruise powder all day long.

If you HAVE to buy a NEW sled, i would go for a Yamaha PHazer, MTX for 8K.....

Check out this web site for more info... look at trail sleds, mountian sleds ect. All will do fine on trails....

http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers/trail.html

If it was ME i would buy a yamaha mountian four stroke, take a used one off of craigs list, say a 2011 or 2012 (CHECK AT THE DEALER) and in 2 or 3 years, when it is out from under warenty, i would get a *nice* turbo added to it.... and it would be a new ball game and new sled

The polaris pro ride 600 aint a bad idea either....
    s

and you could go deal hunting!

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvd/3587030730.html

searching RVs in cragslist by dealer: THERE ARE A BUNCH OF GOOD USED MOUNTIAN 800s for 8K-9K from dealers.. show models ect...

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvd/

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvd/3617684863.html 8500

...wow when i go to buy a NEW SLED THIS IS WHAT IM DOING! I WOULD DRIVE OUT OF FAIR BANKS TO SAVE 4K!

Here I go being a broken record...get a mountain sled.
    You're going to end up on one anyway so you might as well save some cash and get one now. You estimate that 60 percent of your riding will be off trail (40 + 20) which means deep snow and broken terrain/trees. This is where the mountain class shines. You also stated that you were a competitive hockey player. Given your height, weight and athletic history you want an 800 with a track in the 150's and up range because you will quickly outgrow a 600. By comparison, I'm 5'10" and 230 dressed to ride and I'm on an 800 with a 163" track. My sled is a goat. It climbs big hills pretty easily yet there are days when I covet a turbo. Now, I am NOT dumping 10K into my toy any time soon...just saying, if a guy my size wants more power out of an 800, a guy like you will quickly get a case of buyer's remorse with a 600.

Unless you're hauling freight nothing beats a long-track mountain sled for all-around Alaska back country exploring. You can ride a mountain sled on the trails but you can't ride a trail sled in the mountains. All brands have built studs and duds in recent years. My advice is check out the sled forums like Snowest and BCR for model specific info. In AK there are good deals to be had on snowmachines. If you buy used, buy from middle age guys--their stuff is generally well cared for.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

If you buy a 600 now, it'll be easier to convince your wife to let you upgrade to an 800 later

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Levi L View Post
    Ok While I under stand Brand loyalty, ( I am GM Service Advisor) I need some advice.

Having to constantly work on those POS GM vehicles, any new machine will exceed your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    If you buy a 600 now, it'll be easier to convince your wife to let you upgrade to an 800 later

sent from my igloo
    Fair point
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Have you ever said " man I have to much hp and this truck will go to many places, I need a smaller truck with more limitations." ???
    If you HAVE said that get the 600, if you've never said that get a Arctic cat m8 or a rmk 8. You'll never regret it. And you'll soon realize folks only ride trails cause they bought the wrong machines !!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212