Thread: Looking at new Hewescraft Explorer 24 - Questions

Default Looking at new Hewescraft Explorer 24 - Questions

Hello,

I am looking at a new 24ft Hewescraft Pacific Explorer. I am also looking at a new HarbercraftKingfisher 2525. I live in Canada andthe boat will be used in the Queen Charlotte Islands mostly where it can getrather rough. In talking with theHarbercraft dealer he really is trying to sell the Hewescraft as a cheaperquality boat. Mostly in ride quality, hesaid the fact that the Hewes does not have reverse chines or lifting strakeswhich adversely affect the ride quality and makes it a sluggish boat that getsvery wet. Is there any truth tothis? Both boats would fit the bill butI like the layout of the Hewes better and its alot less money. I don't like the short inside deck height inthe Harbercraft but do like the metal floor as opposed to the vinyl coveredplywood. Do you think the vinyl coveredplywood will be an issue if stored in a rainy environment??

I am also looking at a new 250HP Yamaha offshore for power. Is there any other power recomendations forthis boat?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Wooldridge pilot house, Raider boats, Silver streak, are a couple other brands you might consider.
    I didn't care for the Kingfisher either, matter of personal preference really. Wooldridge has the greatest customer service of all the brands out there plus they do custom work for a boat built to your specs.
    Hewescraft are good boats, extremely popular here in Ak, probably due to affordability. I was looking at one two weeks before I bought my boat yesterday. I've seen them cruising for years now and they are quick, appear to be as dry as any other boat, and lots of people I talk to love 'em. I'm guess your local Kingfisher salesman was incorrect when he spoke about the competition.
    Let us know what you end up with and why.
    BK

I have the Hewescraft 26'PC and have had very good luckwith it and the local dealer had been great as well. Harbor craft is a bitheavier and a little nicer inside than the Hewes BUT Hewes is a little cheaper.I have had no problems with their floor in my boat but i believe Hewes has goneto the Diamond plate in the back deck.
    I can't speak for Harbor craft when it comes to rough water but I can for theHewes and it handles the rough water very well but it does bounce you around a bitmore than a heavier boat would. That is the time i wish there was a way to takeon a bit or water ballast to smooth things out.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws3D View Post
    Hello,

I am looking at a new 24ft Hewescraft Pacific Explorer. I am also looking at a new HarbercraftKingfisher 2525. I live in Canada andthe boat will be used in the Queen Charlotte Islands mostly where it can getrather rough. In talking with theHarbercraft dealer he really is trying to sell the Hewescraft as a cheaperquality boat. Mostly in ride quality, hesaid the fact that the Hewes does not have reverse chines or lifting strakeswhich adversely affect the ride quality and makes it a sluggish boat that getsvery wet. Is there any truth tothis? Both boats would fit the bill butI like the layout of the Hewes better and its alot less money. I don't like the short inside deck height inthe Harbercraft but do like the metal floor as opposed to the vinyl coveredplywood. Do you think the vinyl coveredplywood will be an issue if stored in a rainy environment??

I am also looking at a new 250HP Yamaha offshore for power. Is there any other power recomendations forthis boat?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
    Jaws, send me a pm or call me 907-357-9323 regarding a new 24' North River Seahawk OS that I know may still be available in states. It may be a little more money then the two you listed but I'm confident it will be have a ride quality unmatched by the others.

Good luck in your search.
    Mel

Mel,

I cant seem to get the PM to work. Please email me at gabreckon@gmail.com. Sounds interesting, The North River looks like a nice boat we dont see alot of them here in BC but reviews appear to be good.

It is my understanding that the standard floor in the new Pacific Explorer is vinyl covered plywood, however if you upgrade to the diamond treadplate option it becomes a total metal self bailing floor with no wood what so ever. This is different from say the Pacific Cruiser diamond treadplate which is merely just placed over top the wood.

Is this accurate?