Thread: 40 Mile Air drop hunt on 185 Tetlin Wildlife Refuge Unit 12

Default 40 Mile Air drop hunt on 185 Tetlin Wildlife Refuge Unit 12

Anybody here with any info on this hunt, thanks in advance.

I don't know exactly where you are headed but the moose populations in unit 12 seen to be healthy.

Where at? Lots of places they can drop you and I know where all of them are. Moose populations in 12 aren't great, but there are moose.

They have 5 openings in the Tetlin Wildlife Refuge for their 185 on floats, I had great experience from 40 mile air in the past with my TMA sheep hunt, just looking to see if anybody have used them for the Moose Hunt on the lakes, My only Moose hunting experience has being at Ft Rich Archery and Muzzleloader.

I know there are people on here that have used the lake hunts with 40 mile air. Hopefully they will chime in for you.

There was a thread about that area last year, the Park Ranger made 40 mile move a group because of a bear. I could be mistaken, but I believe it was that area. They did not get a moose.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Just bringing back to see if anybody else has a comment.

Which lake would you be going to, do you know specificly? My experience................40mile air, incredible, highly recommend! Lake in unit 12, not incredible, wouldnt do agian

Quote Originally Posted by bklogs View Post
    Which lake would you be going to, do you know specificly? My experience................40mile air, incredible, highly recommend! Lake in unit 12, not incredible, wouldnt do agian
    +1 40 mile air was great, but buckled under Refuge manager pressure to move us due to a "potential" bear problem. not going to do a lake hunt again, we are trying floating this year but going further north.

So anybody that had a positive experience with Lake hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by MorsunRX View Post
    So anybody that had a positive experience with Lake hunts.
    I would get a list of past clients from 40 mile. They have success on these hunts, so somebody is shooting moose.

I did a successful lake hunt in 20d with 40 mile... going back to the same spot this September. If you call Vanessa at the office, she will get approval from past clients of your spot, and give you their numbers. Valuable info as they can tell you how to hunt the area and what not to do. Ed F

I had a great trip with 40 mile air and would recommend them to anyone. However I would not do a lake hunt given a choice of ridgetop versus lake. It was the only fly out hunt I have done in AK (10 or so) where we didn't harvest an animal. We did see cow moose, heard a bull busting brush, but our moose skills weren't up to par. Pretty thick country.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island