Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruined landing strip, anyone know for sure who did it?

Default Ruined landing strip, anyone know for sure who did it?

Anyone know who ruined the big wilderness strip that is out on State Land near the confluence of the Hayes and Skwentna Rivers? About 8-10 miles west of Shell Lake.
    That is the description from a guy on the Supercub site.. And he posted this photo.
    He said it was done last summer and there was only rumor and speculation back then.

I do not remember any big strip in that area... Just the old drill site strip south of Skwentna
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thats a shame to see. the other strip your speaking of is called 8 mile. Great strip as long as you fly over and find the unusable spots. Some people have no common sense or cooth to leave a strip usable. Isn't it a federal law that you can't wreck a strip?
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Did the State or the FAA recognize it as a strip? Probably not. But that wouldn't stop transient guys from using it. Maybe the locals didn't want the company.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Thats a shame to see. the other strip your speaking of is called 8 mile. Great strip as long as you fly over and find the unusable spots. Some people have no common sense or cooth to leave a strip usable. Isn't it a federal law that you can't wreck a strip?

Maybe......Just Maybe they have the intelligence to figure out what the future holds. You know that those "Silly Wabbits" with the tin'foil hats have no common sense.

I read a deal on this topic a while ago and it concluded that anything with markings even a plastic tape for wind dir. Made it a strip and distorting its use ability was a crime. It doesn't need to be listed anywhere, it's a matter of safety and a crime. This is a big deal up north on the slope and. From what I hear out in western areas where the Caribou roam.

Here's the Alaska statute. Define "public use airport".

Alaska Stat. 02.20.050. : Alaska Statutes - Section 02.20.050.: Obstructing airports and runways.
    Search Alaska Stat. 02.20.050. : Alaska Statutes - Section 02.20.050.: Obstructing airports and runways.
    Search by Keyword or Citation

(a) A person may not place an object on the surface of a public use airport that because of its nature or location might cause injury or damage to an aircraft or person riding in the aircraft.

(b) A person may not dig a hole or make any kind of excavation, or drive a sled, tractor, truck, or any kind of vehicle upon the surface of a public use airport that might make ruts, or tracks, or add to an accumulation of tracks so as to cause sufficient roughness of the surface to endanger aircraft using the airport.

(c) All acts prohibited in (a) and (b) of this section also apply in their entirety to a temporary airport or runway that has been marked out on the frozen surface of a stream or lake for the use of aircraft.

(d) Unless closed for public safety reasons by a notice to airmen (NOTAM) provided to the Federal Aviation Administration or by publication in the appropriate aeronautical charts and publications published by the Federal Aviation Administration, unless closed or restricted under the authority provided in AS 16.05.050, 16.05.251, 16.05.255, 16.05.270, AS 16.20.010 - 16.20.162, or 16.20.500 - 16.20.690, or unless closed or restricted under authority consistent with AS 38.04.200 or AS 41.21.020(e), navigable water in the state or a suitable landing site on public land that is not subject to a surface lease, easement, or permit issued by the Department of Natural Resources is presumed open for operation of aircraft.
    I understand the objection to guys tearing up strips but I understand that remote residents don't particularly like uninvited guests dropping in on them, too. There are always two sides to a story.

Is this the strip below Joe Beach's place?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Here's the Alaska statute. Define "public use airport".

I understand the objection to guys tearing up strips but I understand that remote residents don't particularly like uninvited guests dropping in on them, too. There are always two sides to a story.

Wouldn't public use be anything that isn't designated private?

In this case it is - he made it ,he can wreck it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    If the strip is on state land then technically both activities would be against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by jbradley View Post
    Is this the strip below Joe Beach's place?
    That is the strip on the river below Joe Beachs. For some reason Joe decided to wreck it last spring.

It's a bummer, because that was a safety strip for pilots trying to making up the Skwentna in lousy weather.

Yk

It's a shame to ruin a good strip that someone might need someday. On the other hand, it's a shame that there is no respect for people's property anymore. You can't leave your cabin next to your strip without some lowlife stealing you blind. So where do you draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    It's a shame to ruin a good strip that someone might need someday. On the other hand, it's a shame that there is no respect for people's property anymore. You can't leave your cabin next to your strip without some lowlife stealing you blind. So where do you draw the line?
    EASY........stay off of private property, unless you have the owners permission to be on the owners property............THAT is where the line is.

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post

If it's his then he can do what ever he wants as far as I'm concerned. Did he mark it as private and then have people give him trouble?

A man don't go to all that effort without being ticked off, that took a lot of work and I would bet he had his reasons. Only takes one to ruin it for all, have to be respectful when in another mans house.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Perhaps some one who knows Joe or who ever owns the property could simply ask them why the strip was disabled.
    Regardles, If it is on private property then the owner has the right to do what ever they wish.

FP if you have lat/long of the strip I could look it up on my plat software to see who owns the land. I do tend to agree that there is some sort of catalyst that caused this...

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    A man don't go to all that effort without being ticked off, that took a lot of work and I would bet he had his reasons. Only takes one to ruin it for all, have to be respectful when in another mans house.
    its not hard to get ticked off either... it is sad but there is a lot of trash in this stats that have zero respect for anything.. I remember taking my girlfriend(now wife) up on a haul road trip and told her she could get her pic taken with one foot in and one out at the arctic circle on the mat they had there, well when we got there the mat was gone... So then we headed up and I told her about the last tree north...well when we got there it was dead from some ahole that chopped it...
    If indeed this is indeed a private strip and the owner did it, it doesnt take much to realize why... If it is public then it doesnt take much to realize why either...

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    EASY........stay off of private property, unless you have the owners permission to be on the owners property............THAT is where the line is.
    Easy??? Are you serious? Don't you remember they call these people CRIMINALS for a reason? They sure as hell aren't going to stay off private property just because you say so. That's like saying please don't shoplift from my store......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

In my 20 years in law enforcement, there were only a couple times when I can think of pilots committing criminal acts which involved using their aircraft (except F&G violations and even those are few and far between) Pilots tend to be more on the square and level.

That is not the same for the hundreds of crimes I investigated which were committed by people on snow machines and 4 wheelers.

By the way, I am reminded of a guy up in one of the villages who dug a trench across a commonly used 4 wheeler trail during a property use dispute. The first kid down the trail after he dug the trench was seriously injured. The trench digger was charged and convicted with reckless endangerment and later had his trousers sued off him...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast