Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Decision time

  1. #1
    Member Hughiam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    380

    Default Decision time

    Okay, maybe gunsmithing isn't the right forum, feel free to move it. Here's the decision. I came up from the midwest and have a .300wm in a Ruger M77. Its been glass bedded, free floated and Magnaported. It shoots well, no rust etc. But, Im worried that with the wood stock, Im asking for trouble in wet conditions.

    So Im wondering if I should restock it with a high quality aftermarket stock, bedded etc. Or do I start fresh? Im not brand loyal, but have a WM-70 Safari in 375 that I really like. Your thoughts are appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Well I still use a wood stock rifle and have for almost 30 years here in AK. But if you are concerned, I would just restock and save a few bucks over buying a new gun.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well I still use a wood stock rifle and have for almost 30 years here in AK. But if you are concerned, I would just restock and save a few bucks over buying a new gun.
    Same here. Take care of a wood stock and it will take care of you. I have synthetic stocked guns and the only thing I can really say for them is they don't take as much care. But in over 40 years up here and 10 years in a wet climate elsewhere before coming, I've never had issues with wood stocks. There's a long suit of fad in the synthetics, and that's fine. They're pretty cool. But would I mess up an already well-performing wood-stocked gun with a switch to Synthetic? I have other things to do with my money and lots of other things to occupy my mind.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    One big problem with factory wood stocks is that the end grain isn't sealed especially under the butt plate. Pull the butt plate off and apply a sealing coats of finish. Check the inside of the in-letting and barrel channel and make certain there is no exposed wood there either. With the glass bedding the inside of the stock should be pretty much covered.

    Then with a good coat of wax on the metal and stock you should be good to go.

    Do the same for the .375 and you should be good to go for Alaska - they make a good pair.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  5. #5
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    Okay, maybe gunsmithing isn't the right forum, feel free to move it. Here's the decision. I came up from the midwest and have a .300wm in a Ruger M77. Its been glass bedded, free floated and Magnaported. It shoots well, no rust etc. But, Im worried that with the wood stock, Im asking for trouble in wet conditions.

    So Im wondering if I should restock it with a high quality aftermarket stock, bedded etc. Or do I start fresh? Im not brand loyal, but have a WM-70 Safari in 375 that I really like. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    PM is sent.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    I shoot wood with no problems but its dry here on the SE islands
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    If sealed shouldn't be an issue. My question though is do you mind it getting trashed. My rifle takes a whopping and if it were wood it would need a refinishing. ..

  8. #8
    Member Kay9Cop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    If sealed shouldn't be an issue. My question though is do you mind it getting trashed. My rifle takes a whopping and if it were wood it would need a refinishing. ..

    Absolutely this ^^^
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

  9. #9
    Member Scorpion8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SE-AK
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Gunshops are full of used Ruger synthetic stocks, especially the paddle-boat ones that no one liked, yet are indestructible. Find one of those, swap your barreled action and save the wood stock for display.

  10. #10
    Member Hughiam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Its only bedded in the action, not down the barrel, its free floating. I did get the gun soaked on a hunt once and for grins tried to slide a dollar bill down the barrel between the stock and barrel and it wouldn't go.

    The .375 is stainless with synthetic stock I bought in case I ever got to hunt bears up here, and now look, I live here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    One big problem with factory wood stocks is that the end grain isn't sealed especially under the butt plate. Pull the butt plate off and apply a sealing coats of finish. Check the inside of the in-letting and barrel channel and make certain there is no exposed wood there either. With the glass bedding the inside of the stock should be pretty much covered.

    Then with a good coat of wax on the metal and stock you should be good to go.

    Do the same for the .375 and you should be good to go for Alaska - they make a good pair.

  11. #11
    Member highestview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Haines
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    If you are worried about the weather but still like the wood, I was really pleased with the laminate stock I got from Boyds Gun Stocks. Got one for my savage and one for my friends Ruger M77 Tang safety. Very good quality and dang good prices.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Like TV said, but your gun probably doesn't have a butt plate.

    You can waterproof your blued, wood stock gun. Do it inside and out.

    Put some Birchwood stock finish on every surface of the inside of the stock.
    Put some Rigg gun grease on every surface of the barrel and action that is inside the stock. (Or some other kinda gun greese or wax)

    same with the outside of the barrel and action, and wax the outside stock.

    Take BOTH of your guns and if it's pourin down rain, and you just gotta go out in it, take the SS, Synthetic 375, and if it ain't, the 300.

    And, remember that a rifle that has Honorable Scars has character.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •