So, in keeping with tradition, I'm starting my winter project on the Knot Too Shabby. Yesterday I pulled all the seats out to be recovered with better foam for camping and new vinyl. Much needed after years of abuse. Josh at AACMR in Anchorage is doing the work.
Today, I figured I'd check under the floorboards and see how bad the water intrusion was. First I pulled the diamond plate floor. Dissapointed it's only 1/16" from the factory. But found out it's because they put it over 3/4" marine plywood that isn't protected at all. I figured it wouldn't need it but boy was I wrong. It was swollen bad and weighed a ton. This picture is after I washed it down.
Started digging in the foam a little and found that the 3 rearward compartments were frozen solid. I used my sawzall to cut out some and get a better look. Yep... Solid and boy did it stink. Years worth of fish slime in there. And whats with the hole saw marks from the factory? Closed cell foam my butt. Also I found about 30 rivet pieces and lots of aluminum drill swirls under the floor too. Very poor work I'd say.
It's gonna take me a while to get it all cleaned out, but I have a good plan.
I'm thinking I'll get it cleaned up and use Zepalume on it to complete the cleaning, Find some Zinc Cromate to prime it all, then pick up some 3/16" diamond plate and lay it down with a good bead of silicone around all the edges to keep it a little quiet. There isn't goign to be any foam going back in on this boat. The first 5 gallon bucket I pulled out today was really heavy and that wasn't even one of the holes worth of foam. So, I'm thinking with all the waterlogged foam our and the lack of wood, it should lighten her up a bit and make her rest a little more level. Headed back to work tomorrow, so I'll post more on Monday when I crank up the ESPAR and start digging again.