Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Annual Winter Project

Default My Annual Winter Project

So, in keeping with tradition, I'm starting my winter project on the Knot Too Shabby. Yesterday I pulled all the seats out to be recovered with better foam for camping and new vinyl. Much needed after years of abuse. Josh at AACMR in Anchorage is doing the work.

Today, I figured I'd check under the floorboards and see how bad the water intrusion was. First I pulled the diamond plate floor. Dissapointed it's only 1/16" from the factory. But found out it's because they put it over 3/4" marine plywood that isn't protected at all. I figured it wouldn't need it but boy was I wrong. It was swollen bad and weighed a ton. This picture is after I washed it down.

Started digging in the foam a little and found that the 3 rearward compartments were frozen solid. I used my sawzall to cut out some and get a better look. Yep... Solid and boy did it stink. Years worth of fish slime in there. And whats with the hole saw marks from the factory? Closed cell foam my butt. Also I found about 30 rivet pieces and lots of aluminum drill swirls under the floor too. Very poor work I'd say.

It's gonna take me a while to get it all cleaned out, but I have a good plan.

I'm thinking I'll get it cleaned up and use Zepalume on it to complete the cleaning, Find some Zinc Cromate to prime it all, then pick up some 3/16" diamond plate and lay it down with a good bead of silicone around all the edges to keep it a little quiet. There isn't goign to be any foam going back in on this boat. The first 5 gallon bucket I pulled out today was really heavy and that wasn't even one of the holes worth of foam. So, I'm thinking with all the waterlogged foam our and the lack of wood, it should lighten her up a bit and make her rest a little more level. Headed back to work tomorrow, so I'll post more on Monday when I crank up the ESPAR and start digging again.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Looks like work, Rob! I bet you pick up speed and a bit of economy after losing all that water weight.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Im sure I will. Mostly I was wanting to prevent issues down the road. I've always read that people had problem with water intrusion and was hoping for the best. But guess its a very common problem. But I seriously believe mine wouldn't be this bad if it had the normal wood floor and no diamond plate.
    MMSI# 338232859

I did the same thing to my Alumaweld jet boat years ago. I pulled out 500 lbs of water logged plywood and foam, just like in your pics.
    It was like I repowered the boat on the next ride. She jumped up on step again and hauled butt like the day I brought her home.
    The other crappy part is the water eats away at the aluminum hull/floor causing pitting. It doesn't get air which allows it the aluminum to "heal" over and create a new barrier, oxidizing over the pitting.
    You will be pleased with your work.
    BK

Looks like an undertaking but I think it will pay off. When I had my Hewes I noticed over time my performance went down a little and always blamed the foam and water saturation. Just never got around to ripping it out.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Yeah, It's a bad time to begin this project too, but I'm hoping to find a warm garage to completly dry it out in when it comes time to spray it with the zinc cromate.
    MMSI# 338232859

Do you worry about losing the floatation (not that it has any when waterlogged).

What year is your boat? I have a 2006 that I am wondering if it is waterlogged. Seems pretty heavy for a small boat (18'er).

- I see yours is a 2005.

I remember the "Knot Too Shabby" as being one of the vessels that responded to a man over board call at the mouth of Surprise Cove last year. When it comes time to dry her out and spray her if you haven't found a place locally I think we might be able to squeeze her in my garage down in Sterling if you feel like dragging her this far.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yeah, It's a bad time to begin this project too, but I'm hoping to find a warm garage to completly dry it out in when it comes time to spray it with the zinc cromate.
    Zinc Chromate has been discontinued for some time.....There is a new aluminum primer to take its place but can't
    recall its name right now......its clear.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Default floatation

Here is an interesting read or two on using other methods of floatation:

http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/vi...php?f=4&t=2456

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ation-not.html

If you do replace the floatation, make certain that water can make its way back to the bilge pumps. I suspect that this was overlooked during the build of yours and most other hewescrafts.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Do you worry about losing the floatation (not that it has any when waterlogged).

What year is your boat? I have a 2006 that I am wondering if it is waterlogged. Seems pretty heavy for a small boat (18'er).
    Yep it's an 06. I had a feeling it was a little soaked but not this bad.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I remember the "Knot Too Shabby" as being one of the vessels that responded to a man over board call at the mouth of Surprise Cove last year. When it comes time to dry her out and spray her if you haven't found a place locally I think we might be able to squeeze her in my garage down in Sterling if you feel like dragging her this far.
    Yep, that was me. Talk about a mad dash across the bay. So glad she got back in the boat before it got any worse. Thanks for the offer, but I think I found a guy here at work that has a huge empty garage that I should be able to borrow.
    MMSI# 338232859

FOr sound dampening look up a product called flexdamp......we used it to put diamond plate on the stringers of a renegade (no wood underneath) and it worked really well......kinda like the strips you put under a truck canopy shell.

We had the same situation with the waterlogging, ended up cutting the tops of those boxes that hold the insulation that just has the "windows" and made more windows to cut it out with a carpet knife. Ended up cutting pink foam in chunks that would allow us to stuff the flotation pods full up again.

Not perfect but it worked well enough. As said, hardly is there a true closed foam. Shipping or getting teh stuff is a pain in the butt, and what I got from a boat builder was that pink or blue foam have the same amount of water resistance as the "closed" cell stuff, and you can get it anywhere.

good luck, and as was said you will surely be happy about your hard work.

Tab, You are right. It's long gone, but I thought there was another product that is still greenish yellow but not as hazardous to your health? I'll have to dig a little and find out what it is.

Thanks for the info Pete. Mine actually has water passages there from the factory. Pretty big ones too. I got two of the cells dug out for the most part yesterday and coulnd't believe the fish smell in there. I'll dig some more on it Monday when I'm off work again. It will probably take me a few days from the looks of it.
    MMSI# 338232859

the foam will get water logged over time. If you can afford the cost you can get a closed cell foam that will not soak up water. I have a 2005 Alumaweld and pulled the foam out before last season. big difference in performance and burned less fuel. I did not put any foam in and the only difference was a little more noise.......

I might be wrong on this but they don't use regular zincs on aluminum boats because of electrolysis problems so why would you use zinc chromate to paint the inside of the boat ?? Just might cause the whole bottom to eat up ?? Don't they use magnesium, aluminum or something like it for protection instead of zinc ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Good question Steve.
    MMSI# 338232859

Well a quick search came up with this. Probably close to the same as what I used to use in the Air Force.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...=zinc_chromate
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Well a quick search came up with this. Probably close to the same as what I used to use in the Air Force.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...=zinc_chromate
    Well i guess its safe to use. Just another thought on flotation, maybe get some of those blocks they use for floating docks trim it to fit and then have it shrink wrapped to seal it up from water ??? might make it last a lot longer.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast