Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military regs

Default Military regs

How long do I have to live in Alaska to be considered a resident. Does being active duty make a difference when purchasing a firearm.
    what would I need to bring to a gun shop for purchase

Quote Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
    How long do I have to live in Alaska to be considered a resident. Does being active duty make a difference when purchasing a firearm.
    what would I need to bring to a gun shop for purchase
    You have to live here for 365 days to be considered a resident. I don't think that has any bearing at all with regards to purchasing a firearm, just impacts things like hunting/fishing elegibility.

If you want to buy a gun here, you need a copy of your PCS orders, and something with your physical address on it. Also your drivers license and your military ID. DO NOT let them make a copy of your Military ID, it's illegal for them to do so.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    If you want to buy a gun here, you need a copy of your PCS orders, and something with your physical address on it. Also your drivers license and your military ID. DO NOT let them make a copy of your Military ID, it's illegal for them to do so.
    To Clarify, its something .gov issued with your physical address on it. For hunting and fishing it is 1 year (until then you can get the non resident hunt/fish, but still need a guide for browns, sheep, and goat) For firearms, its 90 days after arrival unless you have a copy of your PCS orders.

Easiest thing is to just get an Alaska ID with your address on it.

When I pcs'd up I used my MD drivers license and orders to Ft Rich to buy a gun and had no problem. I tried the same thing a few weeks later at another gun store and they said they required proof of my address in AK in addition to my out of state drivers license and orders before they could sell me the firearm.
    I decided it was easier to get an AK drivers license and change my residency than to constantly carry around proof of living in AK and pay out my rear end to the communist republic of Maryland in taxes.

<sigh> so much confusing info. Okay, I sell guns, I’m an FFL here in Alaska and here is the scoop . . . well the big bits anyway.

You can buy a long gun in Alaska without even being an Alaska resident so long as it is a legal firearm in your U.S. state of residence and that state doesn’t prohibit you from buying it out of state . . . NJ very likely does prohibit but I didn‘t look it up.

You are an “Alaska resident” immediately when you are in Alaska and plan to stay here. You can buy a gun, handgun even that same day you become an Alaska resident. There is no weighting at all to buy guns. The trick is the paper work with your physical address usually takes time to get, but soon as you have it your in like flint!

Military? If your “permanent duty station” is in Alaska but your home is in another state you are treated almost like an Alaska resident . . . Almost. I’d need a copy of your orders stating where you belong in Alaska and a valid photo ID from your home state, both addresses go on the 4473. Lots of box store gun counter types get all tong tied on this and will give you grief . . . Tell them to read the directions on the form. The sticky bit here is when you slap down a NJ ID I got to look up the NJ gun laws to comply with too so use your military ID! Or just get an Alaska ID, become a true Alaska resident, you get to vote here and stop paying state income tax there.

Now for hunting/fishing residency. You must have BEEN an Alaska resident for a year to hunt and fish as a resident . . . It’s not you’re a resident after a year it’s you must have BEEN a resident for a year. Live here a year then decide to become a resident and it’s another year before you get to hunt as a resident so start the clock ASAP by becoming a resident. I think your active duty orders give you hunting residency sooner than a year but I’m unclear on that, not my job to know that.

Welcome to Alaska and I hope all that helps.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thank you guys for all the help. I can't wait to get up there

Don't try to beat the "residency" requirement of 365 days. Every once in a while in the trooper reports you will see lists of 2-8 military that get caught because they are in a rush to hunt. You"can" though, hunt on military lands. Rule Number 1; read the regulations booklet but remember: This is a collection of most of the regulations that have been simplified and interpreted for your use. For all the regulations please contact your local F&G office. (my wording)

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I agree with Dave, check the regs, and if in doubt about something, call the F&G office and talk with someone in person.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Don't try to beat the "residency" requirement of 365 days. Every once in a while in the trooper reports you will see lists of 2-8 military that get caught because they are in a rush to hunt. You"can" though, hunt on military lands. Rule Number 1; read the regulations booklet but remember: This is a collection of most of the regulations that have been simplified and interpreted for your use. For all the regulations please contact your local F&G office. (my wording)
    IMHO the best approach for a new arrival, is to turn in your out of state Drivers License and get an Alaskan license. In that many of us use a PO Box for an address, you can't use a PO Box address to buy a gun... So, Register to vote because your voter ID card will have both a mailing address and a residence address.. In one years time your good to go for resident tags.

As far as hunting and fishing goes, If you do decide you want to hunt big game your first year as a military guy, you get your non resident tags at half price. It's still spendy, but it brings a lot of the cost down. Or you can buy a small game license, and get your state and federal duck stamps. Then go hunt waterfowl, rabbits, and upland birds all you want. The small game license costs the same as a regular hunting license, you are just not allowed to hunt big game with it. If you aren't hunting waterfowl, you won't need the stamps. But small game is a way to pass the time while you are waiting on getting your 1 year in state, and it allows you to get out and see what you are up against when hunting up here.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Go to Alaskaslist.com and check out the hundreds of firearms. No need to buy at a shop unless it is something you want now.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Do everything ADFields says.

I haven't lived in a crappy gun law state for many years, but it will be a relief for you to live here owning guns. All the NJ baloney will be gone. The only regs you'll need to deal with will be the military's if you live on base.

Do what others say and get your AK drivers license ASAP. That will take care of 99% of everything. Like Daveinthebush says, don't game the system on your 1 year residence requirement for hunting/fishing. Establish your residency immediately with a drivers license - now you'll have an airtight date on your residency.

That alaskaslist site is awesome. And quite the selection. One question. What is the preferred method for acquiring a gun. From a different part of the state. There's not a lot in ketch. Lets say for instance I want something out of anchorage. Ship it? Or travel to pick it up. Again sorry if these seem like dumb questions. I'm just not use to how a state with laws that make sense work.

Quote Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
    That alaskaslist site is awesome. And quite the selection. One question. What is the preferred method for acquiring a gun.. From a different part of the state. There's not a lot in ketch. Lets say for instance I want something out of anchorage. Ship it? Or travel to pick it up. Again sorry if these seem like dumb questions. I'm just not use to how a state with laws that make sense work.
    Question #1: What is the preferred method for acquiring a gun?
    Answer: Cash.

Question #2: From a different part of the state.
    Answer: If a shotgun or rifle, just tell seller to mail it to you. If siderarm, they'll have to send via Northern Air Cargo or Everetts Air Cargo ect. Any "common carrier".

Question #3: Travel to pick it up?
    Answer: If you want. If the sale is between two individuals intra-state (within the state), no FFL is needed, it's the same as face-to-face.

My experience so far has been two would mail and the others were ignorant and unwilling to be educated, I was forced to have someone I know pick them up each time. But it was still good. Also remember the For Sale section here, lots of good firearms and gear come up that are reasonably priced. I have picked up a couple from on this site.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I am a bit confused here it seems to meyou have not even left New Jersey but are very preoccupiedwith buying a gun in AK. I could bewrong but I think you have to be a resident of AK before you can buy a gun inAK. If you are a resident of another state you have to go through a FFL. Itstill does not make it legal to buy private treaty. I am sure there are some FFL guys on herethat can clarify that. Are you a gun ownerin New Jersey? If you are active dutymilitary that does not apply as you have PCS orders and a CAC card.
    Hunting & fishing regs read thembefore going to the field. The resident requirementsstart the day you get a DL. If you aremilitary IE CAC card you can get your non res tags for about what res tagscost. Again you have to have PCS ordersor CAC card to show proof.
    Good luck on your travels

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I am a bit confused here it seems to meyou have not even left New Jersey but are very preoccupiedwith buying a gun in AK. I could bewrong but I think you have to be a resident of AK before you can buy a gun inAK. If you are a resident of another state you have to go through a FFL. Itstill does not make it legal to buy private treaty. I am sure there are some FFL guys on herethat can clarify that. Are you a gun ownerin New Jersey? If you are active dutymilitary that does not apply as you have PCS orders and a CAC card.
    Hunting & fishing regs read thembefore going to the field. The resident requirementsstart the day you get a DL. If you aremilitary IE CAC card you can get your non res tags for about what res tagscost. Again you have to have PCS ordersor CAC card to show proof.
    Good luck on your travels
    One correction I would point out on residency for hunting and fishing. First of all, call the troopers for an official answer to any questions you might have. For hunting and fishing purposes I believe the residency test is if you have been physically present in Alaska for the preceding 365 days, if you intend to remain indefinitely, and that you are not receiving any residency benefits in any other state or country. That last one catches people all the time. You need to get your car licensed in Alaska, you need to get an Alaska drivers license, you need to make sure you no longer have a valid resident hunting or fishing license in any other state, and the list goes on. Trust me when I tell you they check this and catch dozens of people every year who weren't trying to cheat on residency they just didn't know the specific details. Definitely call a trooper and get the straight scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    He is moving up here from NJ as a military transfer so all will be conducted in Alaska.

Okay for guns:
    Residents of another state can buy long guns in Alaska so long as the transaction is legal in their state of residence also. That can be through an FFL or privet treaty so long as the buy is legal in both states. NY residents pop to my mind here, they can no longer buy without an FFL so they can’t buy guns in Alaska without an FFL and maybe not even then . . . There are many states that prohibit their residents buying guns out of state though and the sale must be legal in both states.

Alaska residency starts the day you are present in Alaska and plan to stay in Alaska. Under the law the day you become an Alaska resident you can buy guns just like you had lived here all your life. The trick is getting the paperwork together for an FFL, AK ID and a physical address printed on something official with your name on it takes a little time usually. Now as a resident you can buy handguns too and you don’t need any proof of resadency to buy face to face. The second you set foot in Alaska and plan to live here you can legally buy guns from anyone that will sell you guns . . . an FFL will need the paperwork proof but Billy-Bob likely only wants to see some cash.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    One correction I would point out on residency for hunting and fishing. First of all, call the troopers for an official answer to any questions you might have. For hunting and fishing purposes I believe the residency test is if you have been physically present in Alaska for the preceding 365 days, if you intend to remain indefinitely, and that you are not receiving any residency benefits in any other state or country. That last one catches people all the time. You need to get your car licensed in Alaska, you need to get an Alaska drivers license, you need to make sure you no longer have a valid resident hunting or fishing license in any other state, and the list goes on. Trust me when I tell you they check this and catch dozens of people every year who weren't trying to cheat on residency they just didn't know the specific details. Definitely call a trooper and get the straight scoop.
    The test is “been an Alaska resident for 1 year” so the clock starts when you become a resident. You could live here (be present here) for years and still not be a resident. Lots of military never become AK residences, their DL and voting info is still active in another state. Get an AK DL, register to vote in Alaska and you have declared Alaska residency and have proof to back it up, you started the clock . . . A year from then you get to hunt/fish as a resident.

Also I know there are “active duty military” special benefits in the hunting regs about residency but I don’t know what all they are. Active duty guys get some good hunting opportunities here if they have time to take advantage of it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Don't forget to change your residency with the .gov people. Your LES should have AK on it, then you qualify for the cheap car registration and PFD.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast