Thread: Forbes Rifle opinion

Default Forbes Rifle opinion

Do any of you own a Forbes rifle? If so I would like to hear your opinion of it especially on 3 or 5 shot groups. Any other comments, positive or negative would be appreciated.

A PM is more than welcome.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I don't have any experience with them, but I sure would like to. Feel free to get one and give US a range report.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I'd love to own one also. If this summer is good to me I might pick one up in 30-06.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm about 95% sure I'm getting one in .280 Rem. Been looking for a lightwieght lefty for a long time. I'll know within a week!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

i have not seen one in AK. A 280 would be a great mountain rifle.

I looked at one before at the Cabelas library in Lehi, Utah, for comparison and the price they want for one, you might as well get the kimber montana, or the Nosler trophy grade .

Forbes yes, Nosler perhaps, but if you are going to spend some $$, get something that will work.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I looked at one before at the Cabelas library in Lehi, Utah, for comparison and the price they want for one, you might as well get the kimber montana, or the Nosler trophy grade .
    This thread is about light weight rifles and the Nosler Trophy Grade rifle is a heavy rifle at about 7 1/2 pounds.

As for the Kimber, the weight is what I am looking for. To be honest, I really do love their rifle but cannot put up with their problems. In an attempt to keep this thread positive, I did not mention initially that I have done the Kimber rifle experiment twice with extremely disappointing results. Having been down that road two times, I am not going to buy another of their rifles and have it continually at the shop of a quality gunsmith while he tries to help it shoot properly. Besides, having to talk with Kimber so called customer service people is not worth it at any price.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I don't know when or which Kimber rifle you were so disenchanted with, nor their customer service - I've owned 6 pre-owned Montanas, worked with 4 new Montanas for friends and am on my 3rd new one for myself personally - I've not encountered any unsurmountable troubles with any and the limited contact I've had with Kimber CS has been good to outstanding - My 325 WSM Montana has never liked 200 Accubonds but shoots 220 grain projectiles into 3/4" or less, consistently, at top listed velocities (which is OK with me), my 84L '06 (which a buddy recently talked me out of) shoots 165 Accubonds sub MOA and 165 TSX into one hole, haven't done much work with the 280AI so can't say as yet with it - You let us know about that Forbes production rifle after you work with it a bit, my guess is it will be adequate at best - It is one thing to pay BIG bucks for a true custom and not have it shoot, or function, the way you expected but totally another with a rifle of any make that you paid less than $1500 for - And just a point to make, a close friend purchased a MGA for the "big bucks" and, SURE it shoots 1/2" groups all day long, as long as you use the recommended bullets at the recommended velocities, neither at what I would want or expect - There is a WOOORLD of difference between a Forbes "production" and a Forbes "CUSTOM", otherwise why wouldn't he just knock the price down on his originals ?

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    This thread is about light weight rifles and the Nosler Trophy Grade rifle is a heavy rifle at about 7 1/2 pounds.

As for the Kimber, the weight is what I am looking for. To be honest, I really do love their rifle but cannot put up with their problems. In an attempt to keep this thread positive, I did not mention initially that I have done the Kimber rifle experiment twice with extremely disappointing results. Having been down that road two times, I am not going to buy another of their rifles and have it continually at the shop of a quality gunsmith while he tries to help it shoot properly. Besides, having to talk with Kimber so called customer service people is not worth it at any price.
    You asked for an opinion on a particular rifle, and not mentioned anything about wanting an ultra-light or weight saving. So I was comparing to what rifles would be comparable in all aspects especially in the price. I am not a fan of Kimbers either, although I bought one for my 9 year old for sheep and he ended up taking a nice griz, and the only reason I got it because it was light weight enough for him to handle and shoot comfortably and it shot well. I also owned a Nosler in M48 sporter which was a great rifle, but they are priced a little more than the forbes by a few hundred dollars or so, thus why I mentioned the trophy grade, I know they weigh a little more but they are reasonably priced....now if you want to talk light weight rifles, I own a couple that are full customs from Rifles inc, and my 280 Ackley titanium strata w/o scope 4 lbs. 13 oz. and my 300 WM @ 5 lbs 2 oz. if its weight savings you really want then you should look into it, but it will cost big bucks. I have also seen quite a few other custom built rifles that come in a little lighter than NULA and Forbes. Unless its a true custom you are getting from forbes, their production line is comparable to those I have mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Do any of you own a Forbes rifle? If so I would like to hear your opinion of it especially on 3 or 5 shot groups. Any other comments, positive or negative would be appreciated.

A PM is more than welcome.
    I've got one coming tomorrow - in 30-06. Hopefully it lives up to the reviews and I'll make it a "go to" for my hunts. Got to keep one Kimber Montana around and I think the 338WM will stay. Anyway, I can post pics if not too hard to figure out. At 5# 4oz. it should come in around 6 pounds with Talleys and a FXII 6x36 LR on top. Range time is a little limited with the last 10 incher we just got.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    I've got one coming tomorrow - in 30-06. Hopefully it lives up to the reviews and I'll make it a "go to" for my hunts. Got to keep one Kimber Montana around and I think the 338WM will stay. Anyway, I can post pics if not too hard to figure out. At 5# 4oz. it should come in around 6 pounds with Talleys and a FXII 6x36 LR on top. Range time is a little limited with the last 10 incher we just got.
    Did you get a chance to shoot the Forbes?

although it's sort of dated here is an update if anyone is interested about Forbes rifles - there are a few of the Colt Light Rifles out there for sale, some NIB never fired, in standard and belted magnum 7mm RM and 300 Win Mag - Melvin Forbes will, for about $700, put one of his handmade lightweight stocks and the GOOD trigger with 3 functions into one of these if you send it to him - I just had a 7mm RM done and I'm in a total of $1400 by the time I bought the CLR and shipping - I have not had time to shoot it much but it appears that it will do well, I'll report in a month or two after I've benched it some - It weighs EXACTLY 2.8 ounces more than one of the New Ultra Light Arms belted mag models (Alaskan ?) for $2400 less - workmanship is as you would expect from Forbes, excellent