Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: returning egg-laden shrimp

Default returning egg-laden shrimp

I was just thinking about returning shrimp to the bottom, and that if you put the shrimp in a small paper bag and weighted it then they would go back down safely, and the bag would just fall apart and let them out.
    Think it would work?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I have read on another forum that shrimp are pretty much blinded, including on cloudy days, the instant they break the surface and that if released, few if any survive the trip back down...blind or not. Would be interesting to do a test if one could be performed without setting oneself up to get a big fat ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I have read on another forum that shrimp are pretty much blinded, including on cloudy days, the instant they break the surface and that if released, few if any survive the trip back down...blind or not. Would be interesting to do a test if one could be performed without setting oneself up to get a big fat ticket.
    What you going to get a ticket for ?? littering ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    I was just thinking about returning shrimp to the bottom, and that if you put the shrimp in a small paper bag and weighted it then they would go back down safely, and the bag would just fall apart and let them out.
    Think it would work?
    I don't shrimp and never have. I wish we COULD somewhere close by. I'm just curious---do you HAVE to return egg laden shrimp? I buy Spots at Coal Point and I rummage through the packs they have in their freezer just to find the ones that have the most eggs in them. I almost like their eggs sauted in butter more than I like the shrimp themselves. Sauteing them together is one of my favorite taste sensations in the world.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I don't shrimp and never have. I wish we COULD somewhere close by. I'm just curious---do you HAVE to return egg laden shrimp? I buy Spots at Coal Point and I rummage through the packs they have in their freezer just to find the ones that have the most eggs in them. I almost like their eggs sauted in butter more than I like the shrimp themselves. Sauteing them together is one of my favorite taste sensations in the world.
    Nope you can keep every egger you catch. Ever eaten shad roe? shrimp eggs remind me of shad roe, same small gritty looking stuff. Do you notice any difference in the taste/texture of the shrimp w/eggs vs those with no eggs? The eggers seem chalky/mushy to me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDF....1.001-008.pdf

Here's the mark/recapture report of shrimp in Unakwik. It didn't say how they released them after tagging, but they had an overall shrimp recovery rate of around 10%...and as high as 25% from some tagging trips.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Disregard - I was posting the same information as the above post, but they got the details right.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    What you going to get a ticket for ?? littering ??
    Actually, I was thinking in terms of lowering a given number of shrimp in a container configured so they couldn't escape...plugged shrimp pot, chum pot or whatever. Let them sit for an hour then bring them back up and see how many, if any, were still alive. Even though they were legally caught in the first place and along with a decent explanation of what you were doing, having them in a container from which they could not escape might not sit well with whomever has the discretion to write a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Actually, I was thinking in terms of lowering a given number of shrimp in a container configured so they couldn't escape...plugged shrimp pot, chum pot or whatever. Let them sit for an hour then bring them back up and see how many, if any, were still alive. Even though they were legally caught in the first place and along with a decent explanation of what you were doing, having them in a container from which they could not escape might not sit well with whomever has the discretion to write a ticket.
    Tell'em your just keeping them fresh/alive till you go home. I don't think there is a law against that. As long it had a legal escape panel on it i think all would be ok.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

There are so many shrimp down there that we are not even touching that loosing a few egg laden females is just a drop in the ocean. It just doesn't matter.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Boy - some days I sure could not prove that the ocean is covered in shrimp! Can you send me some of them locations please???

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    There are so many shrimp down there that we are not even touching that loosing a few egg laden females is just a drop in the ocean. It just doesn't matter.
    They said that about the buffalo also.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Best spot is just off of the island there in about 100-800 feet of water near the entrance of whats-its-name on the South by North shore.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Nope you can keep every egger you catch. Ever eaten shad roe? shrimp eggs remind me of shad roe, same small gritty looking stuff. Do you notice any difference in the taste/texture of the shrimp w/eggs vs those with no eggs? The eggers seem chalky/mushy to me.
    Yeah, I've had trouble grilling whole shrimp that are heavy with eggs. Like you say, they stay kind of mushy. So if I get a bunch that are just packed with them I de-shell them and saute them and make shrimp scampi. Love it!

They said that about the buffalo also.
    And king salmon. And Atlantic salmon. And......

Great idea HomerDave, good to see a responsible approach to preserving a resource. Much better than making scampi out of an egg laden female that is acknowledged to taste like mush....

Rep ya when the system allows.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Great idea Dave, good to see a responsible approach to preserving a resource. Much better than making scampi out of an egg laden female that is acknowledged to taste like mush....

Rep ya when the system allows.
    Which Dave do you mean? I don't understand your comment.

I was addressing the OP.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

As far as the shrimp go I am of the crowd that believe that there is no difference between a shrimp caught on day 1 without eggs who would have had eggs on day 2 vs one kept on day 1 with eggs.
    If a person wanted too I am sure you could make a small basket with a release on it to get those eggers back down. You could incorporate a door hatch on the bottom triggered by jerking the line or something along those lines.
    A paper bag might work but would it squish them as you jerk the bag to rip the bag open releasing them?
    Would that knock the eggs loose somehow making them not hatch?
    I have used the paper lunch sacks for chum bombs before and it sometimes requires a few pretty hefty jerks to get the bag open.
    I suppose if it were egg laden shrimp you could let it soak longer which would probably require less violent jerks.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    As far as the shrimp go I am of the crowd that believe that there is no difference between a shrimp caught on day 1 without eggs who would have had eggs on day 2 vs one kept on day 1 with eggs.
    If a person wanted too I am sure you could make a small basket with a release on it to get those eggers back down. You could incorporate a door hatch on the bottom triggered by jerking the line or something along those lines.
    A paper bag might work but would it squish them as you jerk the bag to rip the bag open releasing them?
    Would that knock the eggs loose somehow making them not hatch?
    I think Dave (as in HomerDave, the originator of this thread), has a decent idea. My questions would be the same as yours, would the weights used to sink the bag wind up stirring or jarring the females, thus loosing the eggs?

I dunno, but as I said before the concept has merit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast