Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping bugs at bay in the sound?

Default Keeping bugs at bay in the sound?

With all this talk and pictures of past adventures I'm getting fired up to get out on the water. I'm also trying to together a list of upgrades and improvements for this season.

My only minor beef with boating the sound (well asside from whidiots) is being eaten alive at anchor. I'm curious how folks have deal with this. Seems like a Thermacell patio lantern would do the trick, but wondering if there is something better?
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

We use the thermocell unit that uses the little butane bottle and the scent pads. Works great for us. Plus it's dual purpose for sitting at the bait stand too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Paul,

My wife found these bug shirts that we use while on our boating trips: http://www.bugjacket.com/

Since we camp on the beach, these come in handy as well as a screen house we use for our kitchen.

I use the bug shirts quite often on board the boat when I am processing shrimp/fish and the wind is light.

Doug

We use thermacells and they work very well. We also found that the biting flies and no-see-ums will not go under a canopy. We often times have a "red neck" tarp covering the cockpit and remain bug free.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Another vote for the thermacell.
    Also a skeeter coil works well on the back deck if you have a tarped area to keep it from immediately blowing away.
    Lastly, anchor up farther from shore someimes works.
    BK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

...or just go out when I do. The pouring rain that generally happens everytime I go out really cuts down on the bug problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    ...or just go out when I do. The pouring rain that generally happens everytime I go out really cuts down on the bug problem!!

I think you are on to something. If it's anything like the last 2 years, we shouldn't have a bug problem.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    We use thermacells and they work very well. We also found that the biting flies and no-see-ums will not go under a canopy. We often times have a "red neck" tarp covering the cockpit and remain bug free.

Interesting about the tarp. I've also experienced the same thing on my boat. Noseeums are the worst some times unbearable, put up the tarp and they won't come under it. Honest it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Ditto on this. Works very well!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Sounds like Thermacell just made my need to have list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Steve,

See, I'm always helping you spend some loose change
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

You got that right! But I must admit that you have never pointed me in the wrong direction. You did warn me about the costs of boat ownership. Glad to have this forum to listen to others who have used this stuff and are willing to provide their point of view.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The tarp really does work pretty good. Not 100% but the bugs migrate to the top of the tarp instead of underneath it. The PWS Cruising Guide talks about this too.

Thermacell says not to operate in closed spaces. We found out it is a good idea to follow the directions. Last year we had a young man with us who left one running in the cabin of our Ocean Pro and a couple of us got really light headed and vision was a little blurry. Got outside in the fresh air and things cleared up. Now I collect the Thermacells before we close up for the night so I can make sure they are off. Otherwise they work great.

We have a thermacell that we hang under the canvas and it seems to work, but then again its done nothing but rain (and sometimes snow) on us when we have been out and that seems to keep the bugs down,
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I suggest you buy 2 Thermacells, sometimes they fail to work out of the box and on really buggy days 2 running at once really makes a difference; never leave port without some.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I suggest you buy 2 Thermacells, sometimes they fail to work out of the box and on really buggy days 2 running at once really makes a difference; never leave port without some.
    Yup, we run three when swinging on the hook. If the boat rafted up with us is not running any, they have bugs and we do not. Try the tarp if you do not have a canvas. It works wonders, seriously.

Does tarp color make any difference ??? I picked up a couple of nice white color tarps when i was outside to use on the boat. Figured they would let more light thru.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I use a green tarp, Dman uses a blue tarp (lives in the valley) and Propnut has a custom blue canvas. We all remain noseeum free when the cover is deployed. The mosquitoes still visit, but I can deal with them.

Score another one for the forums! Spoiled one and Rob had convinced me to try the thermocells last year and they really do work, but the tarp is a new idea to me...and sounds like another winner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast