Thread: Long story short?

Default Long story short?

My eldest son(Glauchester Ma.) buys his youngest son a Bearcat with 4 digit serial number. He is killed in a motorcycle accident a month later. Daughter-in-law moves back to Illinois and wants to give this handgun to the boy but, it hasn't been converted(safety block etc.) by Ruger. I call Ruger and tell them it's been modified with adjustable sights. I They say send it to factory for refit? I'm not sure about a younger grandchild(12) using such a pistol, I remove all the orginal parts for safe keeping. Call a couple of weeks later and tell me that they refuse the work because of the drilling of topstrap for sights. Offer us a new gun but, boy wants gun his dad bought for him.
    Now, I'm POed. Why didn't they tell me this in the first place???
    Always heard good stuff about their customer service but, I feel this isn't good relations with customer.
    Steve

It sounds as though they think the drill and tap was done in an unsafe way. Iím guessing they didnít tell you in advance because they assumed (as you did) that the drill and tap was normal way until they looked at it. They have to hold very strict standards for their insurance and such, I doubt the gun is genuinely unsafe as a 22 but for them if itĎs an unsafe thing in a 44 they would apply that same standard to everything.

As for what to do now only you can answer that. For me Iíd get it back and leave it like it was (like his Dad had it) and educate the kid about safe usage, empty under the hammer and why.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What Andy said. You could probably trade your old model parts for old model conversion parts and have someone like Andy do the switch.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    It sounds as though they think the drill and tap was done in an unsafe way. Iím guessing they didnít tell you in advance because they assumed (as you did) that the drill and tap was normal way until they looked at it. They have to hold very strict standards for their insurance and such, I doubt the gun is genuinely unsafe as a 22 but for them if itĎs an unsafe thing in a 44 they would apply that same standard to everything.

As for what to do now only you can answer that. For me Iíd get it back and leave it like it was (like his Dad had it) and educate the kid about safe usage, empty under the hammer and why.
    Get real? There's nothing wrong with this pistol except someone at Ruger doesn't want to do their work. I mean, how many ways are there to drill and tap a hole and thread? Soieways perhaps, hehehe?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Get real? There's nothing wrong with this pistol except someone at Ruger doesn't want to do their work. I mean, how many ways are there to drill and tap a hole and thread? Soieways perhaps, hehehe?
    Steve
    Well, believe it or not there are a great many ways to drill and tap a hole, entire books have been written about it. But what I betting is itís placement is the issue. Drilled in the top-strap over the window too far forward (maybe 2 holes side be side) and they will not risk loosing their insurance to do a free lawyer CYA job that actually exposes them to possible litigation and gets their insurance underwriter all worked up.

They offered a new gun, seems a high price for them to pay without having a valid reason?? Iíve had them replace major parts that I told them I deliberately removed for use on other guns then refuse to take my payment for the new parts. They have always been way beyond fair with me. Seems they are trying to help you best way they can without risking tossing the baby with the bathwater. They are deep pockets for litigation so they must do what seems stupid to avoid the lawyers sometimes, sadly, itís the world we live in.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I believe it would be the amont of metal removed on the top strap for the sight to sit in more than the holes if done like Bowen does them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yea they wonít like anything at all removed from the top over the window opening.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Are they refusing to return the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Are they refusing to return the gun?
    I'm sure not, but they won't do any work on it because the frame has been modified. To do factory work on a modified frame and return it to the customer could imply condonation of the modification and open them to liability. The OP is simply PO'd that he didn't know this up front, and is (potentially) out the cost of shipping +down time. I say take them up on their generous off of a brand new gun, or don't; either way, chock it up to experience and move on.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist