Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Water Duck boat and Layout boats

Default Big Water Duck boat and Layout boats

Just curious if anyone would be interested in a dedicated big water duck boat? What I have in mind will be a morf of a Tollman Widebody Skiff and the Toller boat works NFZ. I'll be starting on it in next couple days when I finish the layout boat that currently resides on my building jig. My wife won't let me keep it so if no one but me thinks its a good idea, I'll just build it as a Widebody.
    Also building light weight layout boats, designed for a 6.5 shorttail mm. Fits one man and dog as well as some dekes. Will post pics of layout this evening.

Lane, I don't know if i have the skills to build a boat or patience either for that matter. I have a tendancy to get in a hurry and not do the quality detail that i thnk is necessary. don't evey know if the boat i have in mind exists. i want a boat large enough for 2 plus a dog or 2, stable enough to stand up and shoot from, and light enough to be moved and carried over ground severaly hundred yards if necessary by one person, something i can use my 5 hp brigs on or put a 6 hp mud motor on later. what do you think? Bud
    Wasilla

Bud,
    I feel that 2 men and a dog or 2 and easily transported or portaged by one are somewhat mutually exclusive. Somewhat. It also becomes a issue even with a longer layout, who sits in front and gets to shoot. My oldest boy and I came up with our original design while sitting in a cold creek,hiding behind the bank. I built a boat that fit us both, and when I wanted to use it while he was in school..... 100lbs of boat plus gear, was just more than I really cared to pack acrossed the swamp. My oldest is now 16, 6'2, and he feels the same way. So we went back to the shop and changed the things we didn't like, and made one man boats. figuring if we are hunting together we're still better off cause we can separate a short distance, still visit and the whole point is smaller hides better. Now, If one of my younger(smaller) boys were wanting to go I'd take one boat, and do the calling while he learned. I guess basically what I'm trying to say is everything else is easily doable except for the 2+2 and light.

Check out the EBADS...pretty nice rig. Will accomodate all your needs.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

i was thinking about one of the hybred boats, wide and stable and about 10' i think. taking one of them and extending it out 2-3 more feet. i just never built a boat before. Bud
    Wasilla

Couple construction pics. 10'5" OAL. 47" beam, 14" tall with 15" transom @ 82lbs on this boat. The goal weight was 70lbs. and the extra weight is the the 3rd gallon of epoxy resin used to fair and smooth the finish of the hull. Floatation chambers forward and aft. Rear flotation chamber divided in 3 chambers, so if hunting inland waters center on could be opened up for storage at the loss of about 75lbs. of floatation. Floor is laminated with 1" tall "seat" to keep you out of water that dog or rain is sure to add to the boat. Side storage to keep paddles and gun out of the bilge water. Full graphite bottom. Side grab rails not on in these pics and no paint, but you should get the idea.
    Hybrid 8' boat @ 80+lbs. or E.B.A.D.S @ 13' and 180lbs. Or this one. Attachment 68468Attachment 68469

very nice looking boat and excellent workmanship. Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks Bud.

The display you present for us is inspiring and very professional.Looking simple but nice boat.Really done nice job there...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry8100 View Post
    The display you present for us is inspiring and very professional.Looking simple but nice boat.Really done nice job there...
    definitely. Boat looks great. Would love to know what the layout you're working on will go for...

Beautiful boat Lane..

Are you considering building these nd selling in AK?

Would also be interested in your prices if so.

I'm looking for something to pull out to help with hauling more gear, for a buddy to hunt out of etc.
    Something bout the size of the muskrat layout boat.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

That is an awesome looking boat lane I would like to know what all u have in to building that boat? Also did u make that from scratch or a disign?

Thanks all. I built the first draft outta my head and then after my boys and I used it for a couple weeks, We came up with some changes. That's the one in the pics. I took the time to build a jig and make some patterns on this one hoping to sell some. I'm a general contractor, have been building homes for longer than I care to remember, I hunt and I build stuff... I didn't consider that someone else might want the same kind of boat till I had people flagging me down on the street to ask me where I got the boat..... I have it camo'd up now and done but haven't updated the pics, planning to take it down to the beach and get video of it NOT being able to sink. It's built from light weight okoume marine ply, with pine rails and transom stiffeners. Everything is coated in a minimum of 3 coats of Epoxy. Also has 2 spud holes, makes it great for hunting tidal. I designed then to be used with a 6.5 copperhead mm. Price is 1150.00 delivered to Anchorage as built but can customize a few things depending on how and where you hunt. The first 2 boats that go to someone from this forum, I'll discount to 950.00 as long as they promise to give a honest opinion of their boat here on the forum. I've been cranking out the big one last couple weeks so time is limited here and I apologize for not responding sooner, I'll try to keep a better eye on this site. Or e mail me at lanecustomhomes at g mail dot com, and we'll trade phone numbers and talk. My boys are stoked to hunt these boats this fall.

Attachment 69624Attachment 69625 Here is the inspiration for the big boat.

Attachment 69626Attachment 69627 Here is the hull as of tonight. 23', 24" swimstep/dog entry platform, 8' beam, 8* deadrise @ transom. Self bailing deck with big scuppers and over 5k lbs. floatation. Will have a short, "survival" cuddy on it. Meaning you'll have a place to spend the night if you need to, a spot to store dekes, or get warm and dry, but not a weekender with the non hunter. should have some upright pics with cuddy in about 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Attachment 69624Attachment 69625 Here is the inspiration for the big boat.
    i used to own the first picture... The duckhunter by gator boats.com... Very very stable boat...pretty heavy when built out of wood... Took a 25 to plane it out...

Yep, the duckhunter is a nice boat. The one in the pic is a NFZ by Toller Boatworks. It's his own version of the duck hunter. Very nice boat

Default forgot pic

BankesRevolution_2.pdf

Lane:

Looks like nice boat work. I'm interested in smaller layout boats. You may know Bankes boats from out east http://www.bankesboats.com/index.htm I've hunted from the 19' open water boat and the Revolution 2-person layout--both well designed for shooting. Do you have low profile unpowere layouts in the 10-12' size? Anybody else building them here?

Tom
    Last edited by draht-n-chessie; 04-08-2013 at 18:32. Reason: attach pic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast