Thread: Any Kenai Baiters Hit Yet?

Default Any Kenai Baiters Hit Yet?

Not me! This is my first year to bait. Doing it with a partner who hunted the refuge last year with success. Bait has been out 6 days is all, but guess I was hoping for some activity by now. Just curious how others in the Kenai are fairing so far.

Did see a dandy blackie on Saturday evening camping down ont he Kenai in Cooper Landing. We had floated by the same area earlier in the day and then was walking along the river gathering drift wood when we saw him across the river. Another person had seen him around the same time and stopped in for a peak as well. Decent looking size and beautiful coat. Only bear we saw all weekend. He was eating the grass along the river. Was kicking myself a bit for leaving my rifle back at the house when I dropped the boat off--but at the same time not sure of the regs on that section of the river--let along shooting across the river. Oh well--got me excited none the less.

Will

all 4 stations i have checked have been hit hard.. I have 2, my dad and his, and his friend has one that has also been torn up pretty hard.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    ...Did see a dandy blackie on Saturday evening camping down ont he Kenai in Cooper Landing...we saw him across the river...Was kicking myself a bit for leaving my rifle back at the house ...not sure of the regs on that section of the river...
    Along that section of the river I think bait is not allowed, just lures with single hooks with less than 1/2" spread. Anything you catch that is less than 50 inches in length must be returned to the water. They may not be removed from the water for photos. Hahahahasplash LMBOWF (Laugh my butt off while fishing)

Default Saw him again last night----

Went out to Cooper Landing glassing for bears to chase after later this week and weekend if my bait remains untouched--we'll see tonight. Anyway, saw what I think was the same bear from Saturday. He was again across the river and downstream 1/4 mile from where we saw him on Saturday. Same size, beautiful coat. Watched him for a bit then saw three kids, one with rifle in tote cross the highway in his direction. Watched him for a bit more, then he stood up on his hind legs, looking in their direction. As he came back down on all fours and turned to run into the woods, they shot. Couldn't tell if it was a hit or not. They came up a bit later claiming to have missed him. With him being across the river and no access unless you put in at the lake and float doan, bet they do not even go across and confirm a miss. Sure hated to see that. Beautiful bear. I need to check the regs still as I would love to float down one evening/night from the lake to Jim's looking for blackies. Upper River's closed for fishing, might as well hunt.

Will

Just spent the week out there. Bait is getting hit hard by Grizzlies. The second eve. hunting two decent size browns came in. The first one had a dog food dinner for a minute then the second one came in. He blew at the bear sitting on my bait and then took off down the hill. I ended up snorting at the guy sitting on the barrel to get him out of there. In five days we were hit every day, but at some odd times. I never saw a black, but I am going to spend the better part of this week coming up in the stand.

Fish

my bait has been getting hit hard also. but only buy grizzlies it seems. was stuck in the stand 2 hours yesterday with a grizzly huffin and barkin at me for awhile. pretty exciting. Hopefully i will have a black bear soon

Default Ours too----

Ours is getting clobered as well. Although the area of our barrel is hard to make out tracks, I saw one that looked like a brown.

I sat our bait last night and had one nice blackie hit it right at dark, so I hit back. Nice boar, great hide, just over 5' squared. Fun evening on the stand.

Will