Thread: Interesting set up for all you guys with diesels

Default Interesting set up for all you guys with diesels

I'm going to do this on my boat, looks like a great & simple set up for priming a engine or filling racors after a change.
    Tony's Tips ARTICLE DATE: January 10th, 2009
    Squeeze Bulb Priming on Diesel Powered Boats
    Our Politics here to help understand "Squeeze Bulb Priming". For sure, I have been using Squeeze Bulbs with diesel fuel for well over 20 years now. I still have not seen one rot or fail externally, so to me they have withstood the test of time in the field. I still get feedback from those who do not have any experience with them worrying about "this and that". All I can say is they are used and approved with gasoline in all types of applications, so to me, they must be safe, regardless if ABYC or some surveyor has an issue with them. If I worried about those things, I just as well quick thinking for myself and go back 20+ years in my work.
    As to flow and restriction: If you use the typical 3/8" variety squeeze bulb, you can install them in series ( if you like, with no valves or "T's") and not worry about any undo restriction on most mechanical diesels up to 250 HP or so with rotary type fuel injections. On engines with inline or CR "Bosch or Nippon Denso" type fuel systems, I'd use either a single semi-isolated system or a fully isolated system and 1/2" - 5/8" line for the main fuel system as much as possible. With the fully isolated system, you can feel 100% comfortable even using 3/8" clear vinyl hose for fuel line so you can "see" the bulb do its job. Also, when testing fo air, you can allow all the fuel to go through the clear hose an see if you are sucking air someplace before the bulb.
    SIMPLE MULTI-STAGE FUELTRATIONTM SYSTEM WITH SQUEEZE BULB PRIMING
    PRIMING SYSTEM CAN BE INSTALLED BEFORE OR AFTER THE FILTERS
    Nothing I have used does a simpler or better job than the old fashioned and simple "Squeeze Bulb" as to priming the system or using it as a tool to check for other fuel system problems. I'd love to see a 1/2" ID unit, but I have not found one yet...
    Simple & Effective Isolated Squeeze Bulb Priming System using Clear Vinyl Hose
    I think the value of this type in installation is 100% obvious to most anybody that has gone through priming a diesel engine in a vessel from both the practical and safety standpoint when you have to get your engine running - In other words, I suggest you just forget about the politics of "squeeze bulbs" that come from ignorant boaters and the typical wharf rat that thrives on "dock talk".
    For those who are squeamish about using clear vinyl tubing for this part of the system (Because "no one" has approved it) please feel free to substitute CG A-1 fuel line for the squeeze bulb hoses.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'm going to do this on my boat, looks like a great & simple set up for priming a engine or filling racors after a change.
    Probably not a bad idea for older style diesels. Most engine using a common rail system have a low pressure lift pump that eliminates the need for priming. Just cycle the key a few times and the pump will prime the system.

Default Cool idea

My new Bobcat S160 skid steer loader has a bulb such as that for priming. Nifty.

Some manufacutrers have plunger type primer pumps mounted near the injection pump, or BOSCH pumps for example, have the plunger primer pump mounted directly on the side of the injection pump. They wotk great for purging the system after fuel filter changes and are instrumental in the timing of the injector pump.

That is a handy solution BTW. I keep a bulb on my inboard gas powered boat for in case in to rob fuel from my tank and dispense to a can to feed the kicker, or to help someone who is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Probably not a bad idea for older style diesels. Most engine using a common rail system have a low pressure lift pump that eliminates the need for priming. Just cycle the key a few times and the pump will prime the system.
    So you just had your engine die due to the racor being plugged, you drain/change the filter and have a empty bowl will the little lift pump fill the filter and prime the engine with a couple of on/off of the key ???? oh by the way your drifting up near the rocks now !! thats the beauty of the bulb it fills your filter fast !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692