Thread: Legislature and Native Corps vs. Wilderness

Default Legislature and Native Corps vs. Wilderness

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Why do they even need electricity for a subsistance life style? All I ever hear is "living off the land the traditional way" when others want to develop the land.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The fact that the area is designated a State Park and wilderness area should make it clear to anyone, particularly a member of the Legislature, that development is infeasible. The $10 million allocated for study should never have happened, all three lakes mentioned are contained within the park and thus disqualify them from consideration.

The argument that the "cheap" power generation will allow the Bethel economy to be competitive is a real head scratcher, what kind of service or product does Bethel have to compete with, who is the "competition" ? How will the product get to market, with more taxpayer dollars ?

Lets see, get the State to fund a feasibility study, then get the State to redesignate a wilderness area to allow a dam and power generation plant, get another taxpayer grant to fund the building of the transmission lines, lets not forget maintenance and repair, then get more taxpayer funds for the startup and marketing of Bethels' "competitive" product. I bet there are a few in Bethel who play a great game of "Dominos".

Does anyone have any insight as to what Bethel has to offer on the open market to be "competitive" ?

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Does anyone have any insight as to what Bethel has to offer on the open market to be "competitive" ?
    http://www.meyersfarm.net/
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I could comment on this issue, but I will hold off for now. However, I cannot let the obvious error get past without mentioning it.

The article says that Wood-Tikchik is the largest State Park in the country. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. The largest State Park in the country is in the State of New York!!! It's Adirondack State Park in northern New York State.

Wood-Tikchik SP is 1.5 million acres, which is big, but Adirondack State Park is 6 million acres! Now, Adirondack SP has considerable inholdings that are private farmland, homesteads, and timberland. However, the private inholdings are only about half of the six million acres. The other half (3 million acres) is wilderness. So even if you exclude the inholdings, Adirondack SP is still twice the size of W-T. I will agree that wilderness is NY is not quite as wild as Alaska, but it's as close as it gets in the L48. As someone who grew up in upstate NY (near Syracuse), I am justifiably proud of my home state. If you don't believe me, look it up here: http://apa.ny.gov/About_Park/index.html

So, next time you hear someone refer to Wood-Tikchik SP as the largest State Park in the country, you can correct them by saying it's the largest State Park in Alaska.

I think 338WM got it right. A veggie farm does not create a need for a hydro electric dam. More the I want to live in the village and I want someone else to fund the cost of my doing so. There is another dam purposed up the Susitna somewhere and it is gathering all sorts of opposition and it would supposedly benifit Fairbanks and that dam is not in a wilderness area. I would rather have one not in the wilderness area.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    I think 338WM got it right. A veggie farm does not create a need for a hydro electric dam. More the I want to live in the village and I want someone else to fund the cost of my doing so. There is another dam purposed up the Susitna somewhere and it is gathering all sorts of opposition and it would supposedly benifit Fairbanks and that dam is not in a wilderness area. I would rather have one not in the wilderness area.
    Yep, Mother Nature provides all the energy required to grow those crops.