Thread: Having a good time with this muzzleloader stuff

Default Having a good time with this muzzleloader stuff

I really like this black powder, I cant believe i never took it seriously. The only reason I got into it was to be able to apply for a couple of hunts. But now, im already set on using it for my spring black bear and am seriously entertaing it for all my hunting this year. Except for archery moose season.

Im learning to be a better shot too. For me, i find myself really concentrating on each shot and making them count. Also its so much easier to experiment with different loads. Also, i dont really care for the rifle range when Im shooting my front stuffer, so I have been shooting out at my cabin, where I have to sit on the ground, stand up or go prone. And the craters in the grass that those bullets make is pretty satisfiying and the smoke is just the icing on the cake.

If you havnt tried it you should!

The one negative about it, is that stuff for muzzleloading is rare up here and the knowledge even rarer.

Default In agreement

I just bought my first muzzleloader yesterday and the first stop was my shooting area(cant really say the range cause it aint) and I cant believe i havent bought one of these until now. I wasnt really expermenting with loads or sighting in I was just shooting for the fun of shooting and I cant believe how much fun I had even my 3yo kept saying do it again. We both cant with to go back out and shoot some more and actually start sighting it in.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Ya'll are making me laugh....not at you but with you,as you fellas are bring back memories of my 1st time with the smoke canon.
    It's good tho your trying different loads etc...I did that for a few months with different powders and all sorts of bullets etc..Now the wife own that old antique Hawkens,might have to talk her into a new loader for me?
    Daniel

I like how the bullet gets "pushed" out the end of the barrel. Where as a rifle kicks the round out. Just feels different.

Careful now! Next thing you know, you'll own several. I swear it's worse than owning cartridge guns. Of course who can complain about excuses to buy another gun?

I've done my share with inlines, experimenting and hunting lots. Still own them and still shoot them during the regular season, but for the primitive seasons I'm more and more traditional. Eying a 72 cal smoothbore flinter for moose and elk hunting, even though my 54 cal Hawken does just fine.

Really watch yourself when it comes to small game though. I've got 32 cal and 36 cal caplocks that cut deeply into my expenditure of 22 RF for snowshoes. A 40 or 45 may be next.

Then there's shotguns. And building your own guns. And casting your own bullets. And building your own accessories.

It never stops!

And that's a good thing. Never had this much fun with dozens of cartridge guns over the years.

I wish they made a really thick sabot so I could use the same 50 cal but use smaller bullets with less powder.

A friend messed with that idea with his 50 cal and reported pretty good results. Kinda fiddly, but it worked. He used 40 caliber RBs and patches seated inside his regular sabots before loading. Don't know what patch thickness he used, but 40 grains of Pyro P shot well enough for head shots on snowshoes out beyond 25 yards. Still had to contend with the expense of sabots, though.

I let him shoot my Traditions 32 cal Crockett, and he ordered one that night. Never went back to his 50 for small game. The Crockett was less than $300 from Midsouth at that time, but I don't know current price. With a standard load of 20 grains of P and a 00 buckshot, you can shoot for a long, long time on pennies.

Default ML Black Bear

Last spring two of us in a tree stand with ML's. My nephew shot his bear at 23 yards using 2 50gr triple 7 powder. As we were on the ground cleaning this bear, another larger bear appeared out of nowhere! I picked up my Winchester Apex .50 cal. and shot him at 8 yards, knocked the snot out of him!
    I would not be skeptical about shooting a moose with the same load. A 295 grain powerbelt aerotip! The gun was just $269.00 at Sportsman's Warehouse. With another $100.00 I had everything I need to go right to the range with plenty of powder, bullets, primers, and cleaning materials.

The muzzleloading class offered by ADF&G is well worth the time and ten bucks to attend. Beginners will garner lots of information and the sourdoughs will also learn a thing or two. Plus, it gets the ticket punched to apply for the special ML hunts.

Keep your powder dry and enjoy!

Excellent point about the ADF&G class. It's well worth everyone's time. Remember that getting your ticket punched in Alaska qualifies you for special ML hunts in most other states. Another good reason for taking it: You'll meet other muzzleloaders from your area, making new friends in the process. As much fun as it is to hunt with MLs, the seasons are relatively short. The months between are lots more fun if you have friends to shoot with.