Thread: Hoyt Target Bow Re-stringing

Default Hoyt Target Bow Re-stringing

Not exactly "hunting" related, but I figure this would be the best place to ask about this.

I have a Hoyt Meridian compound bow I bought probably about 12 (or slightly more) years ago for target practice. I haven't used it in about 7 or 8 years and it's been sitting in its case this whole time under full tension.

I'd really like to start using it again, but I don't know if it should be restrung or not. Do bow strings weaken over time if they are under tension like that? And if so, does anyone know of anyone that will do that in the Homer area? I live in Homer (obviously) and don't go north very often. Soldotna/Kenai would be an option, but I don't think driving to Anchorage just to get it restrung is in the cards.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I would recommend restringing it for sure.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Simple answer is yes you should have it restrung.Strings stretch over time and it varies depending on how much heat it was exposed to.. Sitting in a case in the sun can ruin a string like no other.. Make sure who ever restrings it uses the right string. There is more then on type of string material out there. A lot of older bows used a string that had some give to them and some of the newer materials have no give and that could be bad for those glass limbs. When in doubt give Hoyt a call.. Don't know too many shops down that way most on the peninsula went under...

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Simple answer is yes you should have it restrung.Strings stretch over time and it varies depending on how much heat it was exposed to.. Sitting in a case in the sun can ruin a string like no other.. Make sure who ever restrings it uses the right string. There is more then on type of string material out there. A lot of older bows used a string that had some give to them and some of the newer materials have no give and that could be bad for those glass limbs. When in doubt give Hoyt a call.. Don't know too many shops down that way most on the peninsula went under...
    Thanks for the help, but I guess the big question that I probably didn't make clear in my initial question is, would I be endangering myself shooting it the way it is? I'd certainly get it restrung the first chance I can, but if I can shoot it safely I'd love to be able to use for the time being.

The case with the bow in it hasn't been subjected to any sort of adverse conditions since it has always been sitting in a spare room in any place I've lived in since I last used it.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Thanks for the help, but I guess the big question that I probably didn't make clear in my initial question is, would I be endangering myself shooting it the way it is? I'd certainly get it restrung the first chance I can, but if I can shoot it safely I'd love to be able to use for the time being.

The case with the bow in it hasn't been subjected to any sort of adverse conditions since it has always been sitting in a spare room in any place I've lived in since I last used it.

Thanks again for the assistance.
    Personally I wouldnt want to answer that question without having my hand on it to look. If I were to have it I would take a couple of measurements like the a to a (axle to axle) and brace height(deep part of the grip to the string) then look at the limbs extra close to make sure there is no delaminating,look at the limbs around the axle holes,then look at the string for anything out of the ordinary.. If all looks good I would wax up the string shoot a shot or two and check the measurements to ensure they have not changed too much. More then likely it will be fine although dont expect draw length or draw weight to be in check as they change with the stretch of the string,however with the e wheel (pretty sure thats whats on there) you wont notice too much..

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Personally I wouldnt want to answer that question without having my hand on it to look. If I were to have it I would take a couple of measurements like the a to a (axle to axle) and brace height(deep part of the grip to the string) then look at the limbs extra close to make sure there is no delaminating,look at the limbs around the axle holes,then look at the string for anything out of the ordinary.. If all looks good I would wax up the string shoot a shot or two and check the measurements to ensure they have not changed too much. More then likely it will be fine although dont expect draw length or draw weight to be in check as they change with the stretch of the string,however with the e wheel (pretty sure thats whats on there) you wont notice too much..
    Yeah, I guess all I'm REALLY worrying about is pulling the string back and having the string break on me. But it doesn't sound like that would be the problem. I will check the limbs for delam, etc. as you suggest and take it from there. I've got friends that head to Anchorage occasionally and will try and catch one of them before they go and have them take it up there and get it restrung then.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I guess all I'm REALLY worrying about is pulling the string back and having the string break on me. But it doesn't sound like that would be the problem. I will check the limbs for delam, etc. as you suggest and take it from there. I've got friends that head to Anchorage occasionally and will try and catch one of them before they go and have them take it up there and get it restrung then.

Thanks for the help!
    It's an exceptionally rare thing for a string to simply break due to age alone..

Sportsmans warehouse in Soldotna has a bow stringing machine.
    You might call them to see if they have the string you need.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It's an exceptionally rare thing for a string to simply break due to age alone..
    Yeah, I didn't think so. It's nice to hear it from someone with a lot more knowledge than I have, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Sportsmans warehouse in Soldotna has a bow stringing machine.
    You might call them to see if they have the string you need.
    Man, Chris, I didn't know you had it in you to be nice to me. LOL! And you're probably thinking I didn't have it in ME to be nice to YOU!!! LOL!!!

Thanks! I may have to go up to Slow-dot-na in the next week or two. I even forgot there was a Sportsman's WH up there! I'll give them a call.

Yeah, I didn't think so. It's nice to hear it from someone with a lot more knowledge than I have, though.

Man, Chris, I didn't know you had it in you to be nice to me. LOL! And you're probably thinking I didn't have it in ME to be nice to YOU!!! LOL!!!

Thanks! I may have to go up to Slow-dot-na in the next week or two. I even forgot there was a Sportsman's WH up there! I'll give them a call.
    I really am a pretty nice guy who can be very helpful. That is what this forum is about right?
    I think you are still waiting for me to screw up my typing or grammer so you can berate me again in yet another thread. It's just your nature to be an *** online and always will be and we can't change that about you.
    That's OK though I still feel the need to help people sometimes even those whom I dislike.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

You could always mail it to full curl archery or any string maker for that matter much cheaper than driving to anchorage.

Steve

It may be rare for one to break just due to age.

But do you want to take that chance? IF it does break, you could potentially blow that bow up or worse. I would look that string over awfully close. If I was going to attempt to shoot it, I'd crank the weight down considerably.

If it were me I'd get it looked at or make the run to anchorage before shooting it. Or atleast find someone local who knows what to look for.

Good advice on the materials. If it cant handle the new age materials I'd highly recommend staying away from them!!!

I restring my every two years. Not matter what the condition looks like on the string. Yeah it's a pain to go through the process on re sighting, but it's peace at mind for me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK