Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: WD 40 on reels

  1. #1
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,890

    Default WD 40 on reels

    I have seen a few guys mention spraying their reels down with wd40. Is there any concern getting the wd40 on the line and possible weakening it? Not sure if this is a problem or not, but I know that not all petroleum products mix well with other products.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I have seen a few guys mention spraying their reels down with wd40. Is there any concern getting the wd40 on the line and possible weakening it? Not sure if this is a problem or not, but I know that not all petroleum products mix well with other products.
    Yeah, I've heard of that, too, and wondered the exact same thing. It would be an interesting experiment to stick a piece of your line in WD40 for a while and then test it with a scale. Try a piece without WD40 first as a "control" and then do the WD40 test. Maybe try it right after you soaked it, then do another rinsed off quickly and maybe one that you leave in the WD40 for a few days. Should answer that question.

    Then of course there's the age old question of whether or not WD40 will attract or repel fish. I've never had the nerve to try it, but I've heard from way more than one person that some guides swear by WD40 as a fish attractant. My theory is those guides are saying that so other people will do it and then the guide will catch all the fish and the person using the WD40 won't catch anything.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    What I was told by my neighbor who douses his with WD40, is that the main ingredient in WD40 is fish oil and it's not as synthetic, or solvent as we would think.....

    I just spot oil with synthetic gun/reel oil.

    EDIT!

    Just googled it, no fish oil mentioned, neighbor is full of it......carry on

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    What I was told by my neighbor who douses his with WD40, is that the main ingredient in WD40 is fish oil and it's not as synthetic, or solvent as we would think.....

    I just spot oil with synthetic gun/reel oil.
    It may have some sort of fish oil in it, but I believe if you read the cautionary print on the back of the can it even says it's made with petroleum based products.

    Addendum: I just looked at the MSDS for it and it says it's made up of greater than 25% "petroleum base oil" so it certainly is a large component of it.

    Here's a quote directly from the WD40 website: "Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures withWD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlieģ, it just ainít so.
    WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish."

    And in answer to a question on what it can and can't be used on: "WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product."

    Most braided line is basically just PE, or polyethylene. My science isn't good enough to tell if PE and polycarbonate or polystyrene are in the same category, but I don't think I'm willing to take that chance. A good fresh water rinse works for me.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    76

    Default

    I have a good buddy who's father uses it on his reels and on his bait and swears by it. I have seen it work fishing for Sturgeon in Oregon when he used it. Seemed to attract the fish and he says it never affected his line a bit. I have used it on reels prior to re spooling with new line.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunternak View Post
    I have a good buddy who's father uses it on his reels and on his bait and swears by it. I have seen it work fishing for Sturgeon in Oregon when he used it. Seemed to attract the fish and he says it never affected his line a bit. I have used it on reels prior to re spooling with new line.
    I'm not laughing AT you here, so please don't take it that way. But it sure seems to me that every time I hear of someone using WD40 as a fish attractant it's, "I have a buddy who's second cousin twice removed uses it and sure catches fish with it," or "I know a guy that went out with a guide and the guide swears by it," or "so and so who's next door neighbor is a friend with a guy that knows someone that uses it." You get the picture. I have never fished with anyone that uses it and have never actually met anyone that does. It's always second hand info. My feeling is, if it works like magic then EVERYONE would be using it.

    If the "magic" ingredient in it is "fish oil" why not just use pure fish oil or something along those lines. Pro-Cure makes about a gazillion different fish oils and "enzyme laden" attractants. That's what MY "special sauce" is made of.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  7. #7
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    I used to spray it on my line when i fished for striped bass back east, not as a fish attractant but because it kept the line from freezing and getting stiff. I also have tried spraying it on baits, seems to show a nice "oily" slick when it hits the water and didn't seem to make any difference in how the bait fished. I do think it pollutes the water because of the petroleum in it, i won't ever use it as a line dressing or attractant again there is enough bad stuff going into our waters and i don't need to add any more.
    I have to agree with Mutt that there are plenty of other attractants and oils out there to catch fishermen and maybe help catch fish.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    WD 40 will work on Fish, have used it many years, the only thing I don't like is for long term storage , dry's out some an gums things up , if you use it on reel's a lot, just don't use it to store away your reels for a long time an I don't know the time line ,

  9. #9
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    I don't like wd-40 because as mentioned when the solvent evaporates you're left with a gummy residue.

    I rinse my reels with fresh water and lube the bearings with reel oil and refresh the grease with yamaha marine grease. If you want some excellent tutorials on servicing reels, google Alan Tani, he's the man.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  10. #10

    Default

    I rinse my reels with SaltAway. So far, so good.

  11. #11
    Member Soundfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'm not laughing AT you here, so please don't take it that way. But it sure seems to me that every time I hear of someone using WD40 as a fish attractant it's, "I have a buddy who's second cousin twice removed uses it and sure catches fish with it," or "I know a guy that went out with a guide and the guide swears by it," or "so and so who's next door neighbor is a friend with a guy that knows someone that uses it." You get the picture. I have never fished with anyone that uses it and have never actually met anyone that does. It's always second hand info. My feeling is, if it works like magic then EVERYONE would be using it.

    If the "magic" ingredient in it is "fish oil" why not just use pure fish oil or something along those lines. Pro-Cure makes about a gazillion different fish oils and "enzyme laden" attractants. That's what MY "special sauce" is made of.
    I try avoid getting it on my spool for the same reason Muttley. But I may or may not be one of those guys who uses it on their halibut bait. (I figure that I will take a beating for this.) I have boated quite a few nice fish in my day. Call it superstition, habit, luck or whatnot, I usually (almost always) out fish those who chose not to use it. Just my .02

  12. #12
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default

    While crewing on a Tender around Kodiak back in the mid 80s, the Skipper decided to drop the hook and do a bit of halibut fishing. We grabbed a couple of polls rigged with ball and hook, donít remember what we used for bait. He doused his bait with WD40 than challenged me, said he would pull in the first fish. Sure enough he hooked a nice ~80 pounder in under 5 min, about 15min later I hooked a ~60 ponder. Now we are talking Kodiak almost 30 years ago, you could catch butt off the dock in town; probable still can.
    Iíve used it on bait a few times with mixed results, usually when nothing else works.
    I like using WD40 around the boat because itís why less toxic than other spray lubricants; put it on the handles and other external moving parts of my reels.
    Itís kind of like Dawn or Joy dishwashing soap, an essential item to have on the boat.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    The boys at Pro Cure recommend WD-40 to clean up after using any of their products because it doesn't repel fish under their tests. As for reaction with line, I have used it for over 30 years on all my reels with line on them with no problems. WD-40 has less cod oil in it then in the past. Years ago it had a higher % of cod oil. The top dog at Pro Cure was standing on my charter boat, and picked up WD-40 and sprayed it all over his bait for what that is worth.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    because itís less toxic than other spray lubricants...
    Sorry. Once again, not laughing at you, just amused by the wording. "Less toxic" to me means "less deadly" and for some reason to me that means do you want to die, or kill things, slower or quicker? I hope you see the same humor in it that I see.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    The boys at Pro Cure recommend WD-40 to clean up after using any of their products because it doesn't repel fish under their tests. As for reaction with line, I have used it for over 30 years on all my reels with line on them with no problems. WD-40 has less cod oil in it then in the past. Years ago it had a higher % of cod oil. The top dog at Pro Cure was standing on my charter boat, and picked up WD-40 and sprayed it all over his bait for what that is worth.
    Not arguing with you, but could you show us the printed literature that says what percentage of "cod oil" it has in it AND that recommendation from them about using it to clean up after their stuff. I can't seem to find it and, as I showed before, WD40 themselves says it has no fish oil in it. Are you saying they're not telling the truth?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    NO, I have a life Dave! Use it or not I don't care. I know what I pay for Pro Cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Not arguing with you, but could you show us the printed literature that says what percentage of "cod oil" it has in it AND that recommendation from them about using it to clean up after their stuff. I can't seem to find it and, as I showed before, WD40 themselves says it has no fish oil in it. Are you saying they're not telling the truth?

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    NO, I have a life Dave! Use it or not I don't care. I know what I pay for Pro Cure
    Geez, Matt. All I did was ask for some proof of what you're saying. You're quoting "percentages of cod oil" has to come from some verifiable source for it to be believable. I'm sorry, Matt, but when someone starts quoting things like that I have to consider the source. When it comes from someone that NEVER has any viable and believable source for the info they're spouting I tend to take what they're saying with a large grain of salt. And especially when what a person is saying is actually totally refuted by what that company says on their website as WD40 says about their product. Therefore either what YOU are saying is incorrect, or what WD40 says on their website is incorrect. In other words, you are saying that WD40 is lying about NOT using fish oil in their product. Sorry, but that's a little hard to swallow. Sorry if I believe them instead of you.

    And one thing IS certain: WD40 does have "greater than 25%" petroleum based oil in it. Yeah, maybe that doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things when you consider the small amount you put into the ocean every time you use it, but compound that with using it for 30 years as you claim and that DOES amount to something. Especially if every single person that reads this starts using it indiscriminately and releasing all THAT petroleum based oil into our oceans. Give me an f-in break!

    I, too, know what I pay for ProCure, so I'm not sure what that has to do with your not being able to produce any evidence to support what you're spouting. I get very nice pricing from them which is great for me because I think it's great product.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I have seen a few guys mention spraying their reels down with wd40. Is there any concern getting the wd40 on the line and possible weakening it? Not sure if this is a problem or not, but I know that not all petroleum products mix well with other products.
    Getting back to the matters at hand! I'm going to try a "scientific test" on some PowerPro and some fluorocarbon tomorrow when I get my scale from my boat. I'll let you know what develops!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  19. #19
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Getting back to the matters at hand! I'm going to try a "scientific test" on some PowerPro and some fluorocarbon tomorrow when I get my scale from my boat. I'll let you know what develops!
    After reading that others have not run into any problems with weakening their lines and due to the fact that I flip the line on my spools every year and put new line on every other year, I am not too worried about getting wd on my line. I will still try to minimize the amount that gets on their though. What I am really after is increasing the life of my reels, as I gather more expensive gear, the more incentive I have for maintaining them.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    If you care that much about what gets into our Ocean grab a paddle and don't run your motors anymore Dave. As for what is in WD-40 you know that is not published anywhere they only have to list some things. Have you looked at a MSDS for Pro Cure? The fact that you go after anything you can to start crap is great. There is your "f-in break" Dave. For anyone that cares if you get 5200 on your hands WD-40 will clean it off great. WD-40 is almost as great as Pro Cure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Geez, Matt. All I did was ask for some proof of what you're saying. You're quoting "percentages of cod oil" has to come from some verifiable source for it to be believable. I'm sorry, Matt, but when someone starts quoting things like that I have to consider the source. When it comes from someone that NEVER has any viable and believable source for the info they're spouting I tend to take what they're saying with a large grain of salt. And especially when what a person is saying is actually totally refuted by what that company says on their website as WD40 says about their product. Therefore either what YOU are saying is incorrect, or what WD40 says on their website is incorrect. In other words, you are saying that WD40 is lying about NOT using fish oil in their product. Sorry, but that's a little hard to swallow. Sorry if I believe them instead of you.

    And one thing IS certain: WD40 does have "greater than 25%" petroleum based oil in it. Yeah, maybe that doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things when you consider the small amount you put into the ocean every time you use it, but compound that with using it for 30 years as you claim and that DOES amount to something. Especially if every single person that reads this starts using it indiscriminately and releasing all THAT petroleum based oil into our oceans. Give me an f-in break!

    I, too, know what I pay for ProCure, so I'm not sure what that has to do with your not being able to produce any evidence to support what you're spouting. I get very nice pricing from them which is great for me because I think it's great product.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •