Thread: DB263 Afognak/Raspberr Bear Help

Default DB263 Afognak/Raspberr Bear Help

Hey all,

I am a long time resident to the state, and avid reader here for many years, but a new member here to the forum. With all the great info and help that gets passed along through the Forum, I was hoping for some help or advice on a bear hunt. Does anyone have any experience hunting on Afognak or Raspberry island for bears? My wife and I were fortunate enough to draw the SW Afognak/Rasberry bear tag this year, and am trying to get my bearings right, and focus my efforts. I have done some initial research and Onion Bay, and upper/lower Manilla lakes look like good starting points for the fall season, but i just do not know what to expect for cover, bear densities, terrain, ect. definetly not looking for the honey hole, but any info would be helpful for planning. thanks!

Elkman, Just go to huntraspberryisland.com click on the website and there are some really good pictures of the terrain there. If you go to their home website there is a tab that will say big game hunting and then there is a video. I think it is called survior. That was shot really close to onion bay.
    Dan

One thing to consider is to have a backup plan if your lake is frozen up. Ours was so we had to make a plan B. Plenty of tracks & trails, but the big ones were nocturnal the week we were there. Full moon & nice weather probably helped them stay that way as well. Here are a couple photos for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple more, plenty of trees to get out of the wind & weather if you are in a tent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forums and good luck to you.

thanks for the warm welcome and relplies! Dan, i will make sure and take a look at that video, i appreciate the help on that. Marmot, if you dont mind me asking, when you hunted Raspberry, did you see bears during your trip, and also is poking around and trying to bring home a deer a possibility as well? i think we are planning somewhere around 12-14 days at whatever location we decide on. thanks again guys!

Default Pillar lake on afognak

i got a nice bear out of here a few years back, there is a forest service cabin there you can rent.. saw lots of bears..

UOTE=elkman55;1249870]Hey all,

I am a long time resident to the state, and avid reader here for many years, but a new member here to the forum. With all the great info and help that gets passed along through the Forum, I was hoping for some help or advice on a bear hunt. Does anyone have any experience hunting on Afognak or Raspberry island for bears? My wife and I were fortunate enough to draw the SW Afognak/Rasberry bear tag this year, and am trying to get my bearings right, and focus my efforts. I have done some initial research and Onion Bay, and upper/lower Manilla lakes look like good starting points for the fall season, but i just do not know what to expect for cover, bear densities, terrain, ect. definetly not looking for the honey hole, but any info would be helpful for planning. thanks![/QUOTE]

Talk to Birch at raspberry island remote camps. We could have harvested a beauty from the shooting range when we were down deer hunting. Great place to stay.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author