Thread: Training and Two sided healing

Default Training and Two sided healing

For those who use two sided healing do you try to alternate sides equally while training, or just during certain aspects of training?
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

I teach heel on both sides......never gave it much thought to doing it equally but they do heel both sides. Often when stalking I will have one dog on each side. Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    For those who use two sided healing do you try to alternate sides equally while training, or just during certain aspects of training?
    Right now he's healing on either side. I'm going to work on having him on my left cause I shoot right side.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've got my dog healing on either side, using hand signals to tell him which side. Really a big advantage in running hunt test or field trials, but also very helpful in hunting situations. Easy to do when teaching healing to a young dog, much more difficult with a old dog who normally heals on the left, and you are trying to teach him to heal on the right when told to. My dog is not very crisp at taking direction to which side and needs more work and reinforcement at that. Ask the instructors at Saturdays class about it. Bud
    Wasilla

Now that I have 4 in the herd and find myself wandering around with more than one of them regularly. I felt two sided healing dogs only made sense. I have been working my 2 younger dogs, both of which are females, 2 sided heeling and they are coming along well. I alternate the sides that they work from, fairly consistently. A post on another forum kind of struck me when someone asked the original poster of the thread on teaching pattern blinds if they alternated between heeling the dog on the left and right. The response was that isnt what teaching the pattern blind is for. And while I understand the pattern blind isnt for teaching two sided healing, as it should originally be taught during basic obeidence. In my opinion the answer is yes you should train to both sides, if you intend the dog to work from both sides. Just thought I would run it by everyone here and get your thoughts and to see how many of you do use two sided heeling. Also as a reminder when training,be sure to alternately heal between the left & right.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie