Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Pot Puller?

Default Home Made Pot Puller?

Hello Everybody, i was trying to find out if anyone has attempted to successfully make a home made pot puller? It would have to work pretty good, and be under a few hundred bucks to make it worth it. I was looking for a winter project and figured this would be beneficial if i ever succeeded. So far the ideas are old treadmill motor or old electric wheel chair motor. Thanks for any input this should get interesting.

Joe.

Of the two options listed I would think the wheel chair, simply because it is designed to operate on battery power. And electric golf cart motor would provide decent torque as well.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

The other thought is do you limit yourself to electric? Could you mount a pulley on the shaft of a small 2-stroke motor? I know the retrieve is slow, but it you can drag 1000 lb moose across the ground with a chainsaw winch, you could probably pull a couple hundred pounds of gear off the bottom. Rework the gearing to provide a faster retrieve with less power and you could have something.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Projects like this are interesting to watch.
    I think the main factors are going to be what tools/materials you have on hand or can get for dirt cheap.
    And your own personal welding/mechanical skills.
    Steel is not cheap nowdays and if you have some scrap lying around great. If you have to buy new steel it can get spendy fast.
    Having a part machined is also spendy if you don't know a machinist personally.
    Not sure where a person finds an old wheelchair motor? Maybe EBAY or something similiar?
    If you own a drill press,welding machine etc. that helps a lot. My dad owns both of those and a set of torches as well as various other fabrication tools so that is very helpfull in building projects myself.
    Keep us posted with pics on your progress.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I made one about 25 years ago using an Ice Auger. I used it to pull long lines and shrimp pots. All you have to do is mount the ice auger sideway and add a pull string to control the speed of the auger.

Even with a lathe and a welder I chose to go with a commercial unit. I've tried hand pulling, I've used an anchor bouy and ended up with the line wrapped around the prop in a 4' chop that was building and I've used one of the less expensive commercial units. So based on that I had no desire to dink around with a less than ideal pot puller. If you have all day and conditions are nice, no big deal, but if you have better things to do with your time or conditions are bad and getting worse, you want a real deal puller that will get the pots up fast w/o hassles.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I agree with Paul, you don't want problems, even in marginal seas. Maybe Craig's list, maybe get hooked up with a buddy or someone who can show you first hand what your getting into.

Besides winter is over!

I built my entire David set up and it's one of the nicest on the water, but I bought the puller.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I agree with Paul, you don't want problems, even in marginal seas. Maybe Craig's list, maybe get hooked up with a buddy or someone who can show you first hand what your getting into.

Besides winter is over!

I built my entire David set up and it's one of the nicest on the water, but I bought the puller.

Mike
    And you have the knowledge and ability to build one hell of a hauler !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I went the gas powered route

here is the capstan http://ezpull.net/shop/index.php?app...how&ref=AMS100

Here is the small gas motor with 6:1 reduction gear http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratto.../dp/B001CFOT68

I use this for both anchor duty and move it back to the davit for pulling for less than $500, and it pulls hard.

I have some wheelchair motors and gearboxes if anyone is interested in trying it. I mocked one up on plywood with 2 aluminum wheelchair casters...never did finish building it out of aluminum but it worked just fine in the shop.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by beluga View Post
    I went the gas powered route

here is the capstan http://ezpull.net/shop/index.php?app...how&ref=AMS100

Here is the small gas motor with 6:1 reduction gear http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratto.../dp/B001CFOT68

I use this for both anchor duty and move it back to the davit for pulling for less than $500, and it pulls hard.

I went the same route and mounted the puller to the deck with a quick attach system. The line went to a snatch block on the davit. I replaced the engine after 2 years with a lighter Honda and moved it up to the rail. Works excellent.

I went the same route and mounted the puller to the deck with a quick attach system. The line went to a snatch block on the davit. I replaced the engine after 2 years with a lighter Honda and moved it up to the rail. Works excellent.

Can you post a picture of your set up? Thinking of building something similar. Our boat is small, aluminum hull, and thinking of making something detachable and stowed out of the way when not in use. Also like the thought of it being a completely independent unit.

Hey Joe. Just buy the boat I'm taking care of then you can get an e-dyne from Steve and be done with the small time pot pulling. Lol

Yeah quit messing around and get a bunch of nice expensive stuff so you can take us fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Hey Joe. Just buy the boat I'm taking care of then you can get an e-dyne from Steve and be done with the small time pot pulling. Lol
    Haha i dont know what i would do when the wife leave me.....plus i dont think i could buy a boat owned and ran by "the guy who owns the boat"...

For the rest of you, these are all good ideas. I might pm you guys to get some more info, and i will be posting pictures of the process. And hopefully pictures of full pink pots in May.

I'll look for some pictures today. The Briggs and Stratton was originally used for a cement mixer and was one powerful puller. The Honda is considerably lighter, quicker to disconnect and move from storage to rail.

Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    I'll look for some pictures today. The Briggs and Stratton was originally used for a cement mixer and was one powerful puller. The Honda is considerably lighter, quicker to disconnect and move from storage to rail.
    The little (1.5 hp?) Honda is a GREAT motor. It is 4 stroke and mostly aluminum, so it is light and runs clean. I believe there are kits for building them out as capstain type pot pullers. There are also kits for building up the bigger Honda (5 hp?) into a portable hydraulic power supply so you can run a commercial grade puller.

Big_E

Attachment 68451 If I remember right ... this was the trial run with the Briggs. Later added the correct gas tank. This unit would pull a commercial tanner pot.

Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    Attachment 68451 If I remember right ... this was the trial run with the Briggs. Later added the correct gas tank. This unit would pull a commercial tanner pot.
    Cant see your attachment....can you try to repost it?

I'm still waiting patiently for someone to violate a mountain bike frame/derailleur into a 26 speed pot hauler and just pedal those pots up from the deep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast