Thread: Looking for a great boat based black bear hunt

Default Looking for a great boat based black bear hunt

I am planning a spring 2014 black bear hunt, and I could use some advice. We started this by looking at Vancouver BC, but quickly decided we would rather be in Alaska. I am leaning toward the southeast, and we need a good guide. Can anyone recommend a really good reasonable guide for a boat based hunt. We want the best bear we can get, and be able to enjoy the comforts of a boat. Any recommendations are appreciated, both good and bad. Thanks, Jeff

Homer Ocean Charters. Without a doubt, was first class all the way. Much more affordable than most and they didn't miss a thing. Food was fantastic and accommodations are incredible with a hugh hot shower and unlimited fresh water.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Tboehm....Did you get in any fishing on your trip?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes, we fished every morning till mid day. We caught lots of halibut and then would nap and then hunt late afternoon till dark.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

What about Ocean Point Alaska, heard some good things about Keegan, havent had the opportunity to hunt with him yet. But I do know him from college and he is a stand up guy and will do a great job for you... Good Luck www.oceanpointalaska.com

I second Homer Ocean Charters. The most honest people on Earth and the food is amazing.

Look at Jerry Pippen with Rainbow Bay Resort rbrlodge.com He is running black bear hunts in unit 6 Prince William Sound (fly into Anchorage) on the 56' boat starting back up this year. (He does a lot of brown bear hunts) Fishing as well all morning.

One thing to remember if you are hunting in SE AK that if you wound a bear (ANY sign of a hit, hair, etc) and don't recover it your hunt is over. this doesn't apply in unit 6. Some times bad shots happen, and bears are tough. Not saying you should hunt another area just so you can take bad shots! but it could make or break your hunt not knowing that rule. Just ask Ted Nugent!Attachment 68437

I have also heard nothing but good things about Homer Ocean Charters. If is was ME however I would look to SE AK as you stated for a chance at a true lunker. I love the boat based theory of the hunt and you guys will have a ball. A few I recommend:

Kurt Whitehead out of POW:

http://www.alaskaglacieradventures.c...er-hunting.htm

Dale Adams

http://www.adamsalaskansafaris.com/default.html

Or Jim Rosenbrunch

http://www.glacierguidesinc.com/bear...ars-brown.html

Any of those 3 will show you a good time.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

A couple of things to consider-

If you are looking for a truly "big" black bear, you want to focus on SE Alaska, more so than Prince William Sound or other parts of Alaska. The sound does have lots of bears, but larger bears are typically found in SE Alaska. This said, Prince William Sound can produce big bears, but not as typical as in SE Alaska. SE Alaska is know for the same genetics that produce the big bears on Vancouver Island. They are the Coastal Island classification for record book consideration.

A couple of other things to watch for-

Most Prince William Sound operations, such as some of those recommend here, ARE NOT GUIDES!!! Read things carefully. They are referred to as transporters, and can only supply boat services, if they supply you with any thing further than a ride on a boat and a hot meal, then they are operating illegally and could jeopardize your hunt and your trophy. The State of Alaska is working hard to crackdown on this loophole.

Transporters have not gone through the rigors of becoming a guide, and simply need a boat and a piece of paper issued by the state saying they can drive people from point a to point b. Transporters are an option, but be very careful and be informed up front. While they may be cheaper up front, it may cost you in the long run. They can not help you spot, stalk, or even skin your bear. To do so would be a violation.

As far as guides, all the ones listed in this thread from SE Alaska are good. They offer a variety of hunts, mostly the same idea, but look closely at the details. How many days, whats included, price, price to get to the boat, references and most important the number of clients they take per year and at a time. I can not say anything bad about any of them. One important thing to ask them is if they have USFS land use permits. This is very important and will dictate how your hunt goes, if they dont have a permit, no matter what they say, they will not have access to the same amount of hunting area as those who do.

Good Luck, hope this helps to share some info. I have done a lot of research on these things. Oh, and to consider where you should hunt based on wounding bears is one of the most unethical comments I have ever heard. How about take some time and be prepared! A good guide will help you to reduce the chance of wounding a bear.