Thread: Help with insulation cabin floor

Default Help with insulation cabin floor

What is the best way to insulate a seasonal cabin floor? Also, What type of flooring would be best? No carpet.

Supporting Member

I used R-38 covered with wire screen under the floor and commercial-grade composite vinyl tile flooring.

Quote Originally Posted by brhrdr View Post
    I used R-38 covered with wire screen under the floor and commercial-grade composite vinyl tile flooring.
    Can't argue with that; for a huntin' shack, good as it gets. I like to use ply up under the joists as well, and I really like the vinyl plank flooring products like Allure from Home Depot; easy to install and very tough.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I really like the vinyl plank flooring products like Allure from Home Depot; easy to install and very tough.
    A friend installed that Allure plank flooring in his cabin and I swear it looks like real wood. I had to get down close to it before I believed him that it was vinyl flooring. He got the Allure Country Pine color. I'd definitely like to install that some day in my cabin. Like you said, too, he said it was easy to install and easy to take care of. Good stuff!

I used some heavy duty typar instead of chicken wire holding up the fiberglass... Over 5 years, and vermin still haven't ripped out the insulation.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

I like to use ply up under the joists as well,

+1 and paint works wonders on a cabin floor. Just clean and prime it well prior to paint. This is best on a PLYWOOD floor not OSB.

How does the Allure hold up to the constant hot/cold changes in a cabin. Do the sticky seams stay stuck together after time? I used r-30 in the floor with wire mesh stapled up to keep critters out

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    How does the Allure hold up to the constant hot/cold changes in a cabin. Do the sticky seams stay stuck together after time? I used r-30 in the floor with wire mesh stapled up to keep critters out
    Tough to say, as the product hasn't been around that many years; probably safe to assume a similar life span to regular vinyl/ linoleum.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post

I use alure in a lot of my construction projects and in some apts I used to manage. It held up wayyyy better then standard vinyl in the apts where some folks dont give a crap since they are renters and not owners.. Had it in a few places that seen some extreme temp changes and have not seen any ill effects from it yet but I suppose time will tell.. There are some new floating vinyl sheet flooring goods out there now a days too..no glue required...floating floor