Thread: Jet boat for Moose River Suggestions

Default Jet boat for Moose River Suggestions

Well, need some moose hunting river tips. Really looking for some decent directions. Got my first moose with a buddy in an airboat. Purchased 18 foot 115 jet boat last year. Run the knik. Fish the deshka. Real comfortable up to the weir even with skinny water. Just some background on my experience

looking to put together something for moose, been up here for 5 years. But huge state, can't seem to narrow down a general season river that's huntable from a jet. All the rivers I bring up with my buddy with airboat only tells me "that's airboat country". Certainly willing to travel. I have pretty decent idea for the state, just not wanting to name particular waterways

would really appreciate a pm with thoughts or ideas for rivers, not looking for secret spots or anything. Maybe something you hunted in past. Or jet boated for fun. Looking for something to get a 18 foot jet up. Certainly willing to do a summer scout.

Any tips would be appreciated, feel hat in hand asking on public forum, but my map work has drawn blanks, that mixed with other advice has me thinking there are not many options out there for me and my rig

This is so loaded, not to be rude, but pick a river within 150/200 miles from town. Running the knik is good, going to the deshka while not bad is like running a lake. I would pay a lot more attention on learning to read rivers, getting stuck a few times, getting unstuck a few times, having the correct gear on board to get unstuck or fix your boat/engine.

18' is a nice size and you can do a lot with it. Not sure of your motor or condition of it. If you can put a prop on it, run the Yukon, if not -stay close to the bridge.

Airboats are nice, but jets are not airboats, each have there purpose, it just depends on what you want to do.

I would recommend you do a few ride alongs and then maybe follow a few folks. If you feel you're good enough and don't need to gain further knowledge, then pick a river, know your fuel consumption, load up and go. Be safe and make sure you have all the right safety gear with you. At some point, you'll spend an unwanted night or two on the river someplace.
    Last edited by tzieli22; 02-19-2013 at 22:37. Reason: Typo
    Tony

Yup, been there. Wish I would have had a way to lessen the learning curve too, but for the life of me I can't figure what I would have done differently. I know now what I could have done better, but you know hind sight.

So, advice.
    1) Pick reliable and like minded hunting partner(s). That has been my biggest source of frustration really. Not so much where to go, but having people as neurotic as me. Not less or more so.

2) Decide how hard you want to work for your Moose. Meaning, how far are you willing to travel in a car/boat, how much hiking off the river, how much money will you spend, how much risk you are willing to take getting there, and how much time off do you have.

3) If you have the above list covered well, then the rivers are just a few. Su, Little Su, Yentna, Copper, Chitna, Tannana, Chena, Nenana, Yukon.

The closer to Los Anchorage (or any other highly populated area), the more people and the more you have to work, but the less risk, time and money. You can offset that by working MUCH harder.

The Further you go (read Yukon) you will have more logistics, money and time involved. There should arguably be better hunting though.

Hunting is hard on you gear. Get REAL good and fixing you boat. Better yet, get stuff that is is PERFECT repair so you will have only a %50 percent chance of wrecking it instead of %90.

Get out a lot and scout hunting areas well before hunting season if you can. It is a good time to practice shooting in field conditions and is good practice if you are a new boater. Google Earth is your friend.

The best advice usually is to GET OUT OF THE BOAT AND AWAY FROM THE RIVER to hunt. There are times that this advice is null but that is the learning curve you are on.

Whew, good luck.

Appreciate responses. For motor, running a Yamaha rebuilt 115 from the shop here in town. Been stuck. Sure to do it again. First one was on my first outing on the knik. Took a wrong braid. Ran out of water fast. Lost go juice. Lightly loaded we got out and lined it down. Cleared about 5 pounds of rock out of jet. Got going again and no coolant stream. Freaked out about burning motor. End of day had sand in fitting. Didn't take a chance at the time and ran home with tube zipped tied out motor peeing great

second time was the deshka late in year. Guide had put sports in channel I had been running. Took a second option and ran aground. Again no big issues, cleared pump drug it a bit and off again. Love it for sure. Fun stuff. Been through jet a few times. Keep a few extra parts. And a decent tool set. I'd agree that the deshka mouth is a bit of a lake. But to the wier,,, plenty of places to find narrow and shallow water.

and no issues getting off river to hunt. Not looking to shoot one off if. Mainly looking for around a 40 mile max run, just looking at options, post above listed the major ones I was looking at. Even just using the boat to get to a spot to spike in a bit is not an issue

Thanks again , I'll take any advise. Good to go for a scouting trip and for sure 7 day stab at trying to fill a tag. Just trying to figure where

I ended up selling my boat since it was just to much to get out with the whole family in it and by the time the kids are able to help out the 5 of us would be way to big for a 17.5' river sled anyway... That said, if I didn't have a pile of kids I would have used pike fishing as a reason to explore all summer long. I was planning to look at unit 20 rivers for that purpose. Explore them well then pick one to go hunt come September.

17.5 jet sled, hmmm. Wooldridge Alaskan????