Thread: Talkeetna, Nenana, Fairbanks, or Delta Junction for moose

Default Talkeetna, Nenana, Fairbanks, or Delta Junction for moose

I'm considering buying some land, looking for a hunting cabin. I'm not sure what areas would be best for hunting. I am looking between Talkeetna, Nenana, Fairbanks, Livengood, Delta Junction, Tok, Kenai Peninsula maybe?.... Primarily looking to moose hunt. Bears and caribou are a plus. Salmon runs are also a plus. Just not sure which direction to head.. I live in los anchorage, but wouldn't mind driving to Fairbanks or Livengood during hunting season to get some good hunting in.

I know, a pretty opinion based question, but from your experience what areas have the highest success rate for moose hunting? I will have access to a boat and 4 wheeler. No plane access, and don't really want to pay for flights unless I can float back out to the road system to keep cost down.

As for the land, just looking for some dry land, under $20k, preferably with road access. The fewer neighbors and other hunters would obviously be better.

Thanks for the help.
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

Talkeetna area. closest area, which allows more time in woods than on the highway. You are going to have to share the woods, but that will be anywhere you go. Especially with the "preferred road access". Id check Montana creek area, Yoder Rd, or maybe the Larsen Creek subdivision. LOTS of bears!!! decent trail systems for your wheeler, and Talkeetna usually has decent salmon runs as well. Maybe Petersville? i have friends there, and they work for it, but seem to get their moose yearly too.

First look up success rates in past years. The. Decide how far you want to drive. The other idea is go some where close and learn the moose!

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Looks like talkeetna will be the place. Now to just narrow down the search a bit more...
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33