Thread: Great All Around Tire?

Default Great All Around Tire?

I have a 07 Grizzly 450 and am still running the stock wheels/tires. In the next couple years this wheeler will be brought out to my buddies hunting cabin to live out all of it's glory hauling moose, sheep and cabin accessories. I am looking for a good all around tire, there is definetely mud but most of the riding is on hard packed trail with steep slick inclines, basically a little bit of everything. This being a fly in only place I do not want to be constantly sending tires out there so am looking for the best tire that will hold up and also get through some mud. I am liking the Maxxis Bighorns which appear to be durable and somewhat aggressive? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Zach

Look at the maxis zillas . They do nothing great but do everything good . Voted best all around Alaska tire by other fourms I frequent .
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

I've had Mudlites, Interco Swamplites and now PittBull Rocker XORs. The PittBulls far out - perform the others in every area. The Swamplites I believe are constructed with the same rubber compound Interco uses for their full - size vehicle tires. WAY too hard for an ATV. I had no control on ice and very little on packed snow, regardless of air pressure. They were passable in mud, poor control on hard - pack. The PittBulls simply shine everywhere. Excellent in every conceivable terrain. There may be some extremely aggressive purpose - built mud tires out there that could out -mud them, but I can't imagine any other tire comparing as an all - around tire.

I ride with a buddy who runs Maxxis Bighorns. They are decent in everything except mud. It seems to me the lugs aren't deep enough. With the semi - paddle tread design they should do better.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

All good info..anyone try the Kenda Bearclaw HTR...from reviews I've read they seem to be the hardcore tire i'm looking for. Another question is where could a guy get these tires? Also looking for aftermarket wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by zpoehler View Post
    All good info..anyone try the Kenda Bearclaw HTR...from reviews I've read they seem to be the hardcore tire i'm looking for. Another question is where could a guy get these tires? Also looking for aftermarket wheels.
    Aftermarket wheels - Performance Yamaha right here in Wasilla could hook you up. As for the tires - whatever model you decide to go with: if nobody around here carries them - find them on an e-bay store that offers free shipping in the lesser 48, have them shipped to The Carlile hub in Tacoma for free, and Carlile will get them to ANC for ya for $75.00. The e-bay stores will charge you almost as much as the tires to ship them up. Carlile is a neat little loop - hole.

If you are interested in the PitBulls, there is one distributor in Anchorage if he is still doing it. PM me for his contact info if you want.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

First local review on the Pitbull Rockers I have seen AkSoldier and its what I would expect after researching them,thats exactly why I ordered 6 for the new 6by I just bought. Should be in Anchorage in the next couple days......thanks for the reassurance.

You won't be disappointed cwoods. If I ever wear mine out, I'll buy another set. I have about 1K or so miles on mine so far with very little wear. I don't baby them either. Mine are 26.5" size on a 700 Grizzly, by the way.

I'd have to say i'm very impressed with the Maxxis Mudbugs. I have a set that I've used since 07 and mounted on two different 4 wheelers, they still have LOTS of tread left with well over 1,500 miles on them, rough miles. They've gotten me through most everything and I put them through, especially great in the mud and snow. Haven't gotten a puncture in the tire yet.

The Pitbulls are a tough looking 8 ply. Have you found they indeed run a 1/2" taller than stated size? After alot of hemming and hawing I went with the 25.5's thinking if they are a true 26" Im good with that. Wouldn't have minded the 9" wide fronts offered in the 26.5's but even the 8" wide fronts on the 25.5's look like they have quite a contact patch!

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    The Pitbulls are a tough looking 8 ply. Have you found they indeed run a 1/2" taller than stated size? After alot of hemming and hawing I went with the 25.5's thinking if they are a true 26" Im good with that. Wouldn't have minded the 9" wide fronts offered in the 26.5's but even the 8" wide fronts on the 25.5's look like they have quite a contact patch!
    Well, my 26.5s measured 27,1/4" mounted and inflated to 6 psi. They are actually a hair taller than the "27 inch" Swamplites I had before. I wound up going with 10" width front and rear, because the rears tend to wear faster. That way I can rotate them and get more life out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    I'd have to say i'm very impressed with the Maxxis Mudbugs. I have a set that I've used since 07 and mounted on two different 4 wheelers, they still have LOTS of tread left with well over 1,500 miles on them, rough miles. They've gotten me through most everything and I put them through, especially great in the mud and snow. Haven't gotten a puncture in the tire yet.
    Mud bugs are a very good "all terrain" tire. Never saw anything bad about them in anything but the deepest of mud. Mud lites are junk unless you are doing mostly trail riding with some light mud. If you go to the highlifter forums they have a section dedicated to atv tires if you want a lot of reviews on a variety of tires.

From past tires Ive had Mudlites,Xtr's,Blackwaters and others. Till a year ago I have been happy running 589's on my machines for the past several years. Last year I put down the money and bought some new Outlaws. A dedicated mud tire that outperformed all the others I've owned in every situation....go figure?(imo)
    Decided to try these Rockers on the 6by.... I think they will be one to impress as well. Tires have come a very long ways since the beginning of Mudrunners/Blackwaters etc and anything you chose will be an improvement over stock shoes.
    Had a Ranger briefly that had Innova Mud Gears on them... Had never heard of them till then but was actually an impressive tire, it held its own and mabey even a little better than the 589's

I am very happy with my ITP, MUD LITE (AMERICAN MADE) 27x10x12 on the front and 27x12x12 on the back. 750AX -2008 SUZUKI. Have been plowing up to 12" of snow with WAREN plow and never been stuck. Just my thoughts.
    Goo

i also have tried numerous tires... swamp lites, 589s (which i have on ranger 6x6 now), mudzillas, outlaws, terminators, vampires, etc. My favorite tire for true all around performance was and is a Kenda Executioner. They are inexpensive, held up better than others, pulled well in the mud, and dont beat you up on a trail. Also the sidewalls were pretty stiff, which means if you do cut one down, you can often times ride it out. I would have a set now had they not been on backorder when my new rig arrived. Havent tried the pitbull tires yet, but they are at least worth considering

20130228_113540.jpg20130228_113456.jpgPicked up the Pitbull Rocker XOR's today. 4 of the 25.5x10's for the rears and 25.5x8's for the fronts. This should give the new Big Boss all kinds of traction and there is alot of rubber around the bead to protect the rim lip. They look like they will clean out well although not as well as the Outlaws I have for the Foreman during hunting season Im sure. Pic is of a rear Rocker beside a 26" 589 for comparison on the Wife's Honda 300.
    For the 8 ply radial Rockers there is a little weight there but nothing to be concerned about.... Fingers crossed but feeling good about the tire choice.

I thinking about selling my Outlaws and was thinking about Zillas , but those Rockers look sweet . Who is selling these local? If you don't mind me asking how much did that set cost?
    907-745-4756

I did a little online shopping and found out if you have Amazon Prime ($79 a year) they ship to Alaska free on select items . I found these Pitbull Rockers on there for $152 each and eligible for the free shipping to Alaska . They also have other tires that qualify that look good also.
    907-745-4756

There was a fella distributing them out of his home from what I gather but he moved out of state. The local dealer believe it or not is Family Flea Market on Old Seward and 120th. They were spendy at 1200 for 6 tires but with standard shipping (not the route you suggested) I could have saved 50 dollars buying down bellow, figured Id pay the extra to keep my $$ here in Alaska.
    They do have other tires there for those interested.....

Big bear, I'd highly reccomend keeping your laws over the zillas. They are a much better tire in the gnarly stuff/tundra.