Thread: Haul road sheep Hunt

Default Haul road sheep Hunt

Heres another one of my many crazy questions. As i was driving back this weekend from the northslope I could not help, but be hypnotized by the thought of a seven day hike and hunt for sheep in the Brooks Range along the haul road. Anyone ever attempt this? You here alot of bou hunts along the haul road, but not much of a sheep hunt. Crazy, stupid, doable I dont know, but thought I might get some insight here.

Lots of people do it, both bowhunters and rifle hunters. If I hadn't drawn Delta this year, I very well could have been headed up that way but on a fly out. During August you'll see loads of trucks parked with sheep hunters that are in dem hills.

Did you guys fare well on your outing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    . During August you'll see loads of trucks parked with sheep hunters
    Yeah it looks like wal-mart parking lot on the opener...lol

It gets hit pretty hard by both residents and guides. Ive hiked in from the road a couple times and everytime I have run into or seen multiple groups in there. It is doable but you will have lots of competition. Dont forget most of the west side of the road is park.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Lots of people do it, both bowhunters and rifle hunters. If I hadn't drawn Delta this year, I very well could have been headed up that way but on a fly out. During August you'll see loads of trucks parked with sheep hunters that are in dem hills.

Did you guys fare well on your outing?
    No bou in site going to try again in a few weeks.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Done it 4 times. Lots of people, lots of sub legal rams. I haven't gone yet where I haven't seen at least one other camp of crazy dudes that hiked 15 miles in from the road. Haven't been in a couple years...can't imagine people have 'given up' on hiking in for a barely legal, non full curl, 8 year old brooks ram.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde