Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reels: Okuma Cedros vs. Avet (various)

Default Reels: Okuma Cedros vs. Avet (various)

Here's another one for you all. I've already figured out what I want to purchase for my charter reels, but I'm thinking of treating myself with a really nice reel. There's a whole bunch of talk about all the different Avets out there and what everyone likes for their purposes. Yeah, I really like the looks of the Avets, BUT I don't believe I've heard of anyone suggesting an Okuma Cedros over an Avet.

I have not sat down and actually looked at the specs of both reels and price point vs. price point, and I plan to do that, but for general discussion does anyone have an opinion of one vs. the other. And PLEASE, I'm not looking for a "gee, I've got an Avet and I sure like it" sort of answer. I'm just curious if people have a good reason for picking an Avet over an Okuma Cedros. And I specifically say "Cedros" because I know the Makaira is a great looking reel, but it's also a very expensive reel.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

WHile this argument may or may not have anything to do with performance on the water, a big advantage a Avet has over a Cedros is the avet is made in the USA. That is a major selling point for a lot of people, especially with products that have similar performance and price. With that being said, I don't know of the performance or price difference between the avet and cedros.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Gee, I am almost afraid to respond, but here it goes...

Dave,

I don't know if you ever frequent it, but The Hull Truth is a good forum for information like this. Those east coast guys catch some tuna that pull even harder than a Home Halibut, and they are a pretty good source for information on hardware such as you are asking for. Often times I will see on the order of 1000 users online at any time on their main forum. Here is an example from a quick search on your topic:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfis...makaira.html#b
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfis...ira-reels.html
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Why compare two reels that are not even in the top three? If you are going to treat your self go top shelf. Don't hold back I'am sure Penny won't get mad You can stop by the shop and play with one of my shimano's or Penn Internationals. Sorry I don't have any Accurate reels maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post

Dave,

I don't know if you ever frequent it, but The Hull Truth is a good forum for information like this. Those east coast guys catch some tuna that pull even harder than a Home Halibut, and they are a pretty good source for information on hardware such as you are asking for. Often times I will see on the order of 1000 users online at any time on their main forum. Here is an example from a quick search on your topic:

Great bit of info on relatively new reels. Thanks!

I too would be interested to see if anyone on here has a side by side comparison.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Here is the man to answer your Questions....................... http://www.alantani.com/

He complained about Okuma Reels ...... They responded and asked him what would he do....... He gave them the list and Makaira was redesigned. He did it for free..... I am sure he is carte blanche with any reel he would want though.

Dave,

Actually I do frequent THT. Just wanted to get the viewpoint from AK fishermen. Doesn't seem to be a lot over there. But thanks! I DO appreciate it.

I have not yet had a chance to test the Makaira reel yet but I do have a two day trip in July where the customers are bring their own gear and will be using the Makaira reels. Over the years I have used many different types of reels. I started with 114 Pens, then went to 910 Diawa, down grade to 600 Diawa's, went back to 114 Pen's, went to Pen Internationals, 20's,30' and 50's. While I still fishing the Internationals I purchased 1 Avet 3/0 and 2 Shimano Tiagra 30's. I also purchased 6 Accurate 655H's and 6 Shimano TLD 30 2speeds. I also had 6 of the older sytle Okuma's and 4 or 5 Finor reels. The only reels that I have left are 16 Avets. I have yet to have one fail and they are easy to clean and work on.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Why compare two reels that are not even in the top three? If you are going to treat your self go top shelf. Don't hold back I'am sure Penny won't get mad You can stop by the shop and play with one of my shimano's or Penn Internationals. Sorry I don't have any Accurate reels maybe next year.
    Because for some people they ARE in the top three. Especially Avet. I'm not overly fond of Shimanos having had problems with a number of their models, though I've never owned one of their higher end models. But that's another problem with Shimano---the only reels of theirs I'd be interested in are at a price point much higher than I'm interested in spending. And I don't feel like spending $500 or more for a reel like an International. I do like Accurate, so it might be a possibility, but there, too, it seems that the reels they have that I'd be interested in are a bit on the expensive side even for a "treat" reel. Avets, and the Okuma Cedros are a bit closer to what I want to spend. But, if you have a reason you think Accurate is better than either Avet or Okuma please tell me what it is. That's why I asked the question. I'd like personal comments from people that have tried them both.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    The only reels that I have left are 16 Avets. I have yet to have one fail and they are easy to clean and work on.
    That, to me, is a BIIIIIIG plus. I can tear apart and put back together in my sleep the reels that I do own and I sure like that aspect of a good reel. I've heard that from other people about Avets, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mojomizer View Post
    Here is the man to answer your Questions....................... http://www.alantani.com/

He complained about Okuma Reels ...... They responded and asked him what would he do....... He gave them the list and Makaira was redesigned. He did it for free..... I am sure he is carte blanche with any reel he would want though.
    And thanks for that, too. I've been to Alan's website many times for tips on working on my Penns. He is a wealth of knowledge. Great website.

Penny told me it is OK, go for a Accurate reel you should have one Dave. It would be a real reel treat! Go for their matching rod for the reel you pick dude. It might make you happy, and that is what life is all about man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Because for some people they ARE in the top three. Especially Avet. I'm not overly fond of Shimanos having had problems with a number of their models, though I've never owned one of their higher end models. But that's another proth Shimano---the only reels of theirs I'd be interested in are at a price point much higher than I'm interested in spending. And I don't feel like spending $500 or more for a reel like an International. I do like Accurate, so it might be a possibility, but there, too, it seems that the reels they have that I'd be interested in are a bit on the expensive side even for a "treat" reel. Avets, and the Okuma Cedros are a bit closer to what I want to spend. But, if you have a reason you think Accurate is better than either Avet or Okuma please tell me what it is. That's why I asked the question. I'd like personal comments from people that have tried them both.

If anyone's still reading this. Here's a question that popped into my head today while fishing. I have always used star drag reels. If I get lever drag reels like an Avet, is there any sort of problem with inexperienced fisherpeople accidentally hitting the lever and suddenly hitting full drag? The vast majority of clients I have never have even fished before, let alone used a lever drag reel. Any thoughts on that?

If anyone's still reading this. Here's a question that popped into my head today while fishing. I have always used star drag reels. If I get lever drag reels like an Avet, is there any sort of problem with inexperienced fisherpeople accidentally hitting the lever and suddenly hitting full drag? The vast majority of clients I have never have even fished before, let alone used a lever drag reel. Any thoughts on that?
    No there's a button on Avets and most if not all lever drag reels that must be pushed in to go past strike to full drag.
    Last edited by AKArcher; 02-21-2013 at 20:25. Reason: **** iPhone

AKArcher

My problem with inexperienced people and avet reels is not them messing up the drag, but when they drop it overboard. It seems to hurt worse when this happens with an avet than when it is with a costco saltwater combo package. Yes, I have had this happen, and now I am a bit more careful about who gets what setup.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    No there's a button on Avets and most if not all lever drag reels that must be pushed in to go past strike to full drag.
    Not correct for avets, shimano uses a button. You turn the drag off, let your bait or jig free spool to the bottom with your thumb on the spool to prevent a birds nest when you hit bottom, then when you hit bottom you push the lever forward to the strike position. It doesn't take much force to hit this position. When you're fighting a fish and want max drag you just push the lever all the way forward. The nice thing about a lever drag unlike a star drag is you won't over set the drag and lock up the reel thus breaking off the fish.

Personally I think lever drags are vastly superior to star drag for both inexperienced and experienced fishermen and especially if you have a charter. The advantage of the lever drag is you can preset the drag on a scale and then store the reel with the drag off. With a star drag you have to reset the drag every day.

I only had to use a lever drag once to be sold on the design and got rid of all of my star drag reels minus a 114 penn for sentimental reasons.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I put an Avet on a set up this summer, I had 2 different newbies hook up on it. They didn't touch the drag, but the reel I have doesn't a level wind, that was the only newbie issue with it. Don't charter so I don't have a problem without the level wind. The Shimano lever drags I've used were more complicated. I like having no buttons on the drag, just a strike position.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Not correct for avets, shimano uses a button. You turn the drag off, let your bait or jig free spool to the bottom with your thumb on the spool to prevent a birds nest when you hit bottom, then when you hit bottom you push the lever forward to the strike position. It doesn't take much force to hit this position. .
    I stand corrected and technically misspoke. The screw midway down the lever holds a bearing type device that must slide down to past strike. You can see the drag guide in the pic where it gets bigger about six holes forward. Like Paul says it isn't hard, but it is a noticeable amount of pressure to move it forward. I don't think a "bump" by a hand would move it forward unless the drag is set really low to begin with.

AKArcher

My problem with inexperienced people and avet reels is not them messing up the drag, but when they drop it overboard. It seems to hurt worse when this happens with an avet than when it is with a costco saltwater combo package. Yes, I have had this happen, and now I am a bit more careful about who gets what setup.
    THey would get a stick and string after that were it my boat

Thanks all for the comments. I didn't figure it would be a problem since they're (lever drag reels) so popular. Just have never actually USED one while fishing and wondered about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast