Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SL3 or SL5?

Default SL3 or SL5?

Deciding between the 2, will be used floorless mostly. Thinking the 5 might be a little big for sheep, but the extra room sounds nice. Anyone packing the 5 up the mountains instead of the 3? The 3 should be easier to pack, easier to find a place to set and better in the wind. 5 would be nicer for room (always have the pup with me) if I have another guy. If you could only have 1, which one? Anyone know what they weigh without the nest?

My SL 5 without the pole is exactly 2.5 # in the sack (no nest obviously). The Sl3 is only marginally lighter (don't have one to weigh side by side but I think max you're looking at an 8 ounce savings. The only thing that makes me hesitate to drag my SL5 solo is space required for setup, as the tent is plenty light to carry. I do like the steeper angle of the sides on the 3 as well. With two people though, the 5 is a palace! Obviously I can't decide, I need to buy a 3 so I have both!

Check out the small tent thread in the gear forum way down the main page. For a solo hunter with a dog there are more than a few options. Seekoutside, Bearpaw Designs, and Karifu are just three.

If you have luck finding one, please let me know. I can't seem to find any place to pick either one up.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Only a crazy guy would carry a SL5 sheep hunting!
    Probably the type to wear cotton pants and sleep in a down sleeping bag...

Or... gasp... pack in a 12pk of PBR and family sized bag of doritos...

I've carried the SL-5 on 6 sheep successful sheep hunts and 3 succesful goat hunts with some caribou hunts mixed in for good measure. Finding a 9.5X9.5 foot print area hasn't been too much of a problem. Seam sealed and guylines attached my SL-5 weighs in at 31 oz. Compare that to my SL-3 at 26.5 oz...thats 4.5 oz more for approx 50% more space. I'd go SL-5 all the way.

That said the smaller profile and hexagonal shape of the SL-3 rather than the 4 sided and taller SL-5 give the SL-3 a bit better ability to buck the wind. I have slept and used both and 90% of the time I grab the SL-5, except going solo and then the SL-3 is a palace for one guy.

It sure is nice to have space for 3 guys to sprawl out in out of the weather like have down though on a sheep hunt and a goat hunt and still have all the gear and space to cook. Don't even attempt that with an SL-3.

Thanks! Got my tent!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Jon, when I saw the title of this thread that picture was the first thought that popped into my head, but you beat me to it!!! The SL5 sure was nice and roomy for 2 dudes. It may very well be my next tent.

No issues with Mosquitos in those floorless tents? That's the whole reason I carry one with a floor is to have a safe haven from the bugs.

I just sent my SL5 to Seek Outside to have a stove jack installed. They are also going to work on a Sod skirt.
    I have both. The 3 is my alpine absolute minimum shelter. The 5 will be a luxury shelter now at 6 pounds aprox I'll have a titanium stove stakes and shelter. I'm kinda excited about that project.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    No issues with Mosquitos in those floorless tents? That's the whole reason I carry one with a floor is to have a safe haven from the bugs.
    I'm curious about this too. I'm a rookie when it comes to floorless tents. What about rain? I assume you try to avoid a way for water to flow under, but is that ever a problem? What about setting up on wet ground or in the rain?

In most situations your using a Bivy, pad, bag combo. I keep a small foam pad that is used to sit or kneel on. Your sleeping spot is a dry spot. Everywhere else is open country, brush and all. In fact it's kinda fun seeing the different mosses and ground foliage. You want a good location with great soil for stake purchase and drainage. I've also used kinda rocky locations because of drainage. I've even hauled in thick mosses for cushioning underneath my sleeping location.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    In most situations your using a Bivy, pad, bag combo. I keep a small foam pad that is used to sit or kneel on. Your sleeping spot is a dry spot. Everywhere else is open country, brush and all. In fact it's kinda fun seeing the different mosses and ground foliage. You want a good location with great soil for stake purchase and drainage. I've also used kinda rocky locations because of drainage. I've even hauled in thick mosses for cushioning underneath my sleeping location.
    oh man... taking 20 minutes to set yourself up with a nice foundation goes a long way. take your ax and dig out those pointy rocks. dig a little dip for your shoulder and hips... bring in some moss or sand to even out the gaps. well worth it! If forced to set up on wet ground, a small piece of tyvek or a space blanket makes a nice ground tarp in a pinch.

I've never bothered with a Bivy (don't even own one) but I've used floorless (sl3 and sl5) hunting sheep, goats, and caribou in the kenais, chugach, talkeetnas, and wrangells and have had no issues with bugs or drainage. Sometimes it helps to stack a few rocks around the edge to break the wind a bit. I agree it's fun seeing the different mosses and flowers and such!
    Oh yeah... and when you have to take a late night/early morning leak and it's blowing sleet sideways outside? just roll over to the downhill edge. no need to put your boots on.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    oh man... taking 20 minutes to set yourself up with a nice foundation goes a long way. take your ax and dig out those pointy rocks. dig a little dip for your shoulder and hips... bring in some moss or sand to even out the gaps. well worth it! If forced to set up on wet ground, a small piece of tyvek or a space blanket makes a nice ground tarp in a pinch.

I've never bothered with a Bivy (don't even own one) but I've used floorless (sl3 and sl5) hunting sheep, goats, and caribou in the kenais, chugach, talkeetnas, and wrangells and have had no issues with bugs or drainage. Sometimes it helps to stack a few rocks around the edge to break the wind a bit. I agree it's fun seeing the different mosses and flowers and such!
    Oh yeah... and when you have to take a late night/early morning leak and it's blowing sleet sideways outside? just roll over to the downhill edge. no need to put your boots on.

Cheers,
    Rich
    MAn Rich you had me... I was all ready to hit you up to go huntin with you ,you make you tent selection and you take the time to make it cozy,almost sounds like home... Then the whole rollin over and pissin.. what happens if your bud is in the down hill side....

What brand are you guys talking about? At least three different companies make "SL3" or "SL5" tent models. Thanks

GoLite Shangri-La 3 or 5

I had forgot about the leak thing. Yup, me too. When you'll never see that patch of soil again it's perfect.

Go-lite are on sale and in stock.... Just picked up a SL5...

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Funny stuff!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast