Thread: T/C ProHunter .338 Win Mag Barrel Mod

Default T/C ProHunter .338 Win Mag Barrel Mod

I have a 28" SS fluted .338 Win Mag barrel. I had read where a guy cut his down to 24" and had a brake installed without affecting accuracy or ballistics. He did this to make it lighter and easier to handle. Has anybody heard of this being done before? I'm not a fan of long barrels and would like to have this done if it will not ruin my barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    I have a 28" SS fluted .338 Win Mag barrel. I had read where a guy cut his down to 24" and had a brake installed without affecting accuracy or ballistics. He did this to make it lighter and easier to handle. Has anybody heard of this being done before? I'm not a fan of long barrels and would like to have this done if it will not ruin my barrel.
    Cutting the barrel to 24 inches and then putting 1-2 inches back on it in the form of a muzzle brake seems self defeating IMO. The work you speak of is easily performed by a gunsmith and should probably run in the neighborhood of $200. As for effecting accuracy, if the work is properly performed I'd not expect any "real" change in accuracy. You will lose some velocity by shortening the barrel from 28 to 24, but I'd call it insignificant and whatever the difference amounted to you'd never realize the difference in the field.

Personally, I'd consider shortening the barrel, but I'd be a no go on the brake.....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

1Cor, why wouldn't you go with a brake? I wanted one that was threaded and I could take on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Cutting the barrel to 24 inches and then putting 1-2 inches back on it in the form of a muzzle brake seems self defeating IMO. The work you speak of is easily performed by a gunsmith and should probably run in the neighborhood of $200. As for effecting accuracy, if the work is properly performed I'd not expect any "real" change in accuracy. You will lose some velocity by shortening the barrel from 28 to 24, but I'd call it insignificant and whatever the difference amounted to you'd never realize the difference in the field.

Personally, I'd consider shortening the barrel, but I'd be a no go on the brake.....

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    1Cor, why wouldn't you go with a brake? I wanted one that was threaded and I could take on and off.
    Because I've had them before and don't care for them--kinda like asparagus.....

A good recoil pad (Decelerator/Limbsaver/etc.) is much preferable to me. I'd rather take the $200 and spend it on ammo/components than on a brake, but plenty of guys use them. Shortening your barrel without a brake should be $40-60.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I had the same setup but in 300 Win Mag and didn't like it. That long fluted barrel heats up and strings real bad when you shoot any more than 5 it seems.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Yeah I heard it wouldn't work on .300 mag
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."