Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS203 Walk In Options

Default DS203 Walk In Options

Well, because I couldn't lock down a partner to head out on 40 mile air, I had to give up my opening day slot for a fly out. Now I need to research walk in options for my early season Delta tag. I looked through most of the older threads, but it looks like most of the good information I'm looking for is generally pm'd.

If anybody would be willing to share some starting points, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking to go in solo for 4-5 days early, then possibly another trip later on in the season if need be.

Thank you!

PM sent to you.

Jerod, I have a buddy here in SE that has the tag. He is an animal, good dude, 28ish, good hunter. If you need a partner I can pass your info on.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

If that is Jesse, we've been talking on facebook already. It sounds like he can't make it up for the opener, so if I haven't tagged out, we could possibly work something out later in the season.

Thank you all for the pm's, I've got a few ideas on where to get started now. I'll do my best to get in a little pre-season scouting.

Have any of you ever scouted in late July or early August and stashed your gear? I was considering doing this, but I'm concerned about theft or animals getting into it. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Jerod, yep it's Jesse. Good luck man, hope you get a dandy. I killed one there a few years ago up the Gerstle. We flew in but it was eipc!

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Jarod, I'd appreciate it if you could pass along some of the knowledge you have been getting about walking in for DS203! My older brothers both drew tags and are new to sheep hunting. I was fortunate enough to harvest a Ram out of the TMA last year, with the help of my dad and 40 Mile Air. Now we would like to lead my brothers in on their 1st sheep hunt. Since they will have to gear up and fly up from the states Im trying to make this hunt a little easier on their wallets-so walk in it is!

Best of luck on your own hunt and Thanks in advance for any advice!

marlee,

With the responses I've been getting, I'd love to have the possibility to get further in. With 2 or 3 people walking in (more shoulders to pack the weight), I would take the time to get in further instead of heading into the areas that all us other solo hunters will be going into. You will have more area to yourselves, and probably a lot better chance of filling both tags instead of just one. I've got a call into the area bio to question him about a few locations.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    marlee,

With the responses I've been getting, I'd love to have the possibility to get further in. With 2 or 3 people walking in (more shoulders to pack the weight), I would take the time to get in further instead of heading into the areas that all us other solo hunters will be going into. You will have more area to yourselves, and probably a lot better chance of filling both tags instead of just one. I've got a call into the area bio to question him about a few locations.
    The other thought is hiking in and packrafting out, I spoke with a guy who did that in dcua.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I just saw that Steve Rinella (The Meateater) just drew the late season DCUA tag this year too, wow talk about lucky, he just drew TMA last year.

Jerod, Congrats on the draw. A friend of mine has a son who drew and wants me to go along to show him the ropes. I drew this tag several years ago and would be interested in what info you are getting also if you would be willing to pass it along like Marlee suggested. Would be helpful for my hunting partner to pick some spots. When I went solo those many years ago I did the Jarvis/Riley drainage just for access sake. With two of us (maybe more) then we may consider other options. It is his hunt so I want him to do most of the planning but would like to get him pointed in the right direction. Thanks for any help.

Say Man, how did you do up Jarvis Creek?

Has anyone ever looked at the country north of Black Rapids Glacier (BRG)? This would be the two drainages below BRG on the Delta river. My son had that permit a few years ago, we crossed the Delta and hunted up BRG. We saw a lot of sheep/rams on the ridge between BRG and the next drainage down river, always wished we would have gone up a checked it out more closely! Im thinking those two drainages could be a sleeper for a big ram, but I could be wrong! We did see a group of 5 full-curl rams on the north side of BRG, they were right at the end of the ice up on a very mean spot, none were that big to get me excited enough that I wanted to risk taking my young son up after. He did end up taking a 39.5 ram days later off another glacier on that same hunt!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Dave, I'd been meaning to hit you up on Wyatt's hunt. I tried firing you off a pm, but your inbox is full. My dad published a fictional book that was based on black rapids glacier, so I always thought it would be cool to hunt up there.

Go on to Amazon, order and then buy and Read Hunting Alaska by Ray Chandler.
    Nuff Said.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Has anyone ever looked at the country north of Black Rapids Glacier (BRG)? This would be the two drainages below BRG on the Delta river. My son had that permit a few years ago, we crossed the Delta and hunted up BRG. We saw a lot of sheep/rams on the ridge between BRG and the next drainage down river, always wished we would have gone up a checked it out more closely! Im thinking those two drainages could be a sleeper for a big ram, but I could be wrong! We did see a group of 5 full-curl rams on the north side of BRG, they were right at the end of the ice up on a very mean spot, none were that big to get me excited enough that I wanted to risk taking my young son up after. He did end up taking a 39.5 ram days later off another glacier on that same hunt!
    Congrats to your son! Ive always thought that would be some great country to explore! Pretty amazing view from the Lodge! This is one option I have been trying to explore for this falls hunt. I'd imagine its not hunted near as much as the other side of the highway, but I could be wrong. With 3-4 guys to spread out the gear I'm all for getting in further than those hunting solo or in pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by marleecurrier View Post
    Congrats to your son! Ive always thought that would be some great country to explore! Pretty amazing view from the Lodge! This is one option I have been trying to explore for this falls hunt. I'd imagine its not hunted near as much as the other side of the highway, but I could be wrong. With 3-4 guys to spread out the gear I'm all for getting in further than those hunting solo or in pairs.
    I'm planning to take half a day to do some hiking up Black Rapids on my way down to Chitina this summer. It'll probably be early to mid June. I'm mapping out some options right now, but I'm leaning towards this area for the opener.

I say go for it! BRG is as good as any. Enjoy the hunt and relish the opportunity to roam into a permitted area with a known population of Sheep.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I just saw that Steve Rinella (The Meateater) just drew the late season DCUA tag this year too, wow talk about lucky, he just drew TMA last year.
    Sounds like someone else we know! Sheesh!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Sounds like someone else we know! Sheesh!!
    Hey now!

When I figure out how on earth I got so lucky, I will certainly let you know....maybe karma for that little mishap I had on the emerald isle? If that's the case, I don't think it was worth it

I thought it was weird that Rinella managed to pull these tags back to back as well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast