Thread: Kesugi Ridge Hunting

Default Kesugi Ridge Hunting

Has anyone ever hunted the Kesugi Ridge area for black bears. I have heard there are decent numbers there but am unsure of hunting pressure and getting away from hikers/backpackers. Looking at a map it is hard to tell how broken the terrain is and where you would travel to get off the main trail to get away from crouds. It will be in September, I don't know if there are less people in there after labor day or not. Just want to hunt a good eating bear that has been eating berries. Any other things to be concerned about in there?

most of the bears I've seen on Kesugi are near the lake and below the brushline. It's thick country, so spot and stalk beneath the canopy is gonna be a struggle. Once you're high on the ridge, you might see them but might be too thick to access. There are a lot of people, so rifle hunting isn;t safe. Rocks and barren ground might cause some stray rounds to rekoche and injure hikers...so be very cautious IMO.

I haven't seen blackies above the treeline in this area.

larry

Larry, thanks for the info. The two areas I am focusing on I am getting mixed reviews. One guy told me he sees black bears up in the tundra above tree line EVERY time he has hiked in Kesugi. Same guy told me he has never seen a bear in the alpine tundra in Eklutna but a friend who hikes in there said he has never been in there without seeing black bears. Thanks agian, maybe I'll have to focus on different areas.

I have been on the entire length of Kesugi Ridge and seen both bears and backpackers every time. It is brushy until you get on top, you're likely to see a black bear for mere seconds and then he's gone. Once you're on top and can see better you might have better luck. But there are a lot black bears from Talkeetna to Cantwell. Good luck.

Is it possible to leave the trail once you get on the ridge and move say a mile or two off trail to get into area that is still tundra/berries?

Idk about black bears, but you can definitely bag a greenie in there....

I've spent a ton of time on Kesugi and Curry ridges between Indian Mtn and Lake 1787. I have not seen many black bears. That is not to say they are not there. But they are scarce above treeline and tough to spot below treeline.

There are a fair amount of brown bears for sure and I have seen a bunch of them over the years up on the ridge digging out squirrels and stuff. Come to think of it, that may be why I havent seen many blackies there.

Personally, I think there are much better places to hunt bears. Less potential for conflict, more critters, but if a trail is a necessity for you to access it, then it is certainly an option. Keep in mind that Denali SP has some specific regs regarding tags and such...