Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Moose Hunting in the Healy/Usibelli Mine Area

  1. #1

    Default Moose Hunting in the Healy/Usibelli Mine Area

    I drew a cow moose permit in the Moody Creek drainage are just southeast of the Parks Highway at Healy.

    Is anyone familiar with this area? Can it be accessed with an ATV?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Short answer is no..its in the yanert cua

    Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  3. #3
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Hot air balloon access only...

    sent from my igloo

  4. #4
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Do people not do any research BEFORE putting in for tags anymore?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Do people not do any research BEFORE putting in for tags anymore?
    Honestly from my own experience I do a bit, but there is no better intel then hearing from a actual person who has been on the ground so why not ask. I drew delta Management Moose and am very familiar with area but still want to hear what people have to say.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Do people not do any research BEFORE putting in for tags anymore?
    Some do, some don't. No worries though. It is all factored into the system and really has no impact on the draw odds.

  7. #7
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gdkodiak View Post
    I drew a cow moose permit in the Moody Creek drainage are just southeast of the Parks Highway at Healy.

    Is anyone familiar with this area? Can it be accessed with an ATV?

    Thanks in advance.
    Enjoy your walk
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  8. #8
    Member tbone131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    255

    Default

    **** some pretty short replies there. Either people are mad they didn't draw what they wanted or they mock others for asking questions. Thought this was a forum that was supposed to be used as a resource? Guess I was wrong

  9. #9
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    **** some pretty short replies there. Either people are mad they didn't draw what they wanted or they mock others for asking questions. Thought this was a forum that was supposed to be used as a resource? Guess I was wrong
    Didn't you know that you were supposed to be a gosh darn expert on every tag you put in for. They should have a 50 question quiz about each hunt that you have to get a 100% on before your application is accepted. I never understood why people are so bothered by OTHER peoples lack of knowledge. Sorry for hijacking OP, I know nothing about access to this hunt, maybe if I were an expert on it I would have put in for it. Good luck on your search for info, I hope you bag a moose
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  10. #10
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    I'm guilty of not doing research for everything I put in for. Here is why:

    1) I like adventure and gambling and flirting with fate, so I enjoy the pressure of having no guarantees.
    2) I just figure I won't draw anything anyway, so why do a bunch of homework for something you won't face?
    3) It's a lot funner planning and doing research when you have to instead of when you are just dreaming.

  11. #11
    Member tbone131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Hey I'm in the same boat guys. I put in for a some hunts I don't low alot about and won 1. I will research and get as much info as I can before I hunt. I have got some good info from forum members here and I am grateful for that. On the other hand some people won't give up info or even be cordial which is a shame. You don't have to give up your spot. This is supposed to be fun and help others.

  12. #12
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    **** some pretty short replies there. Either people are mad they didn't draw what they wanted or they mock others for asking questions. Thought this was a forum that was supposed to be used as a resource? Guess I was wrong
    Problem a lot have bone... is that many many folks join here for the simple effort of gleening informatin with out sharing any, or really joining the family. if you follow along this time of year and again later in august.. you will see the same folks you dont see all year long. if your going to be a member.. Be one.. and fact o the matter is.. this tag had a map with it.. and it is CLEARLY in the YCUA. a short read in the reg book would have answered the questions. the YCUA is one of the FEW that are closed year round to ATV access for hunting
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  13. #13
    Member tbone131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Vince that's fine. All the info you gave me on Rex trail last year was a lie. So I don't need your help bud, thanks though.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Our state's "lottery" system basically discourages researching prior to putting in for draws. I throw my money in the hat and see where the chips fall. I usually have my back up plan in case nothing is drawn.
    I agree with Wiso and Tbone, along with OP here. If I had more info to share, I certainly would. A lot of us from the Peninsula are being pushed north and must learn very different hunting areas. To hold that against hunter's researching a new area is juvenile at best, and just plain mean spirited at worst. Snide and snippy comments neither improve discourse, nor does it encourage info sharing. I've been a fishing guide on the Kenai and out in Cook Inlet and guarantee I could be of some great assistance to those with genuine fishing questions and concerns.
    In summary, lay off people trying to get basic information... Silence is often Golden!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Additionally, when people ask me fishing questions that could easily be found in the regs, I answer them as a courteous outdoorsman and gentleman should. To be very honest, our hunting regs aren't exactly written comprehensibly. I hold a Juris Doctor earned after graduating from law school. I OFTEN am baffled how poorly written and ambiguous many of our iron clad codes are!

  16. #16

    Default

    gdkodiak, I used to take horses into the YCUA near Ravine creek in the early 90's and saw most of the critters about 12-15 miles in. One year I took a spike fork within about a mile of the truck. Moody creek doesn't ring a bell but I may have been in that area, don't know. I haven't hunted there in years so I don't know how the moose population has been recently but you could take some short hikes if yer feelin lucky or buy a few few head of trail horses and hunt in style.

  17. #17
    Member 907pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    and fact o the matter is.. this tag had a map with it.. and it is CLEARLY in the YCUA. a short read in the reg book would have answered the questions. the YCUA is one of the FEW that are closed year round to ATV access for hunting
    All I can say is wow! Vince, you need to stop typing for awhile and open up the regs yourself. This is not even in the YCUA. Please stop lying to people on here. I have seen you give out false information on here before and just because you have allot of posts doesn't mean that you can come on here and tear into people for just anything and mislead people at will. Quit being an idiot.

    gdkodiak, The tag you have is inside the Unit 20A Wood River Controlled Use Area. It depends on which permit number you drew as to if you can use your wheeler or not. Which permit did you draw? You either have DM652, 653, or 654. They are all the same hunt but with specific hunting dates.

    You can use your ATV if you permit DM652. The reason being, that in the Wood River Controlled Use Area you cannot use ATV's for the use of hunting from Aug. 1st through September 30th. Both the permits 652 and 653 are within that date range but the late hunt which is 654 is for the most part after the ATV suspension date.

    I know this area a little and there are a few people that access this area with horses. The Moody drainage is thick to say the least. Your best bet is to explore the trails with your ATV before Aug. 1st. Honestly you should not have to go far up the drainage to get a cow moose. There is a parking area about a mile past the bridge where you can unload your wheelers. You can run up and down Healy creek all you want on your wheeler, even in August and September as long as you don't go clear up to the headwaters of Healy creek because about 15 miles up you start getting back into the WRCUA.

    You are are allowed to cross Healy creek with your wheeler as long as you don't go past high water mark. If I were you I would use your wheeler to cross Healy creek and then just walk back and forth within the first mile of the Moody drainage. I'm sure you can find a cow running around down there. I've seen allot of them very close to where Moody creek runs into Healy creek.

    Good luck, and congratulations on getting the tag. I hope these guys didn't make you feel bad about asking a question. Just try to help another member out down the line.

    Best regards,
    907

  18. #18
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    lying? not by intention.. moody creek in in the yanert area.. as where he posted it.. both are contorl use areas at anyrate... right in the map
    Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    All I can say is wow! Vince, you need to stop typing for awhile and open up the regs yourself. This is not even in the YCUA. Please stop lying to people on here. I have seen you give out false information on here before and just because you have allot of posts doesn't mean that you can come on here and tear into people for just anything and mislead people at will. Quit being an idiot.

    gdkodiak, The tag you have is inside the Unit 20A Wood River Controlled Use Area. It depends on which permit number you drew as to if you can use your wheeler or not. Which permit did you draw? You either have DM652, 653, or 654. They are all the same hunt but with specific hunting dates.

    You can use your ATV if you permit DM652. The reason being, that in the Wood River Controlled Use Area you cannot use ATV's for the use of hunting from Aug. 1st through September 30th. Both the permits 652 and 653 are within that date range but the late hunt which is 654 is for the most part after the ATV suspension date.

    I know this area a little and there are a few people that access this area with horses. The Moody drainage is thick to say the least. Your best bet is to explore the trails with your ATV before Aug. 1st. Honestly you should not have to go far up the drainage to get a cow moose. There is a parking area about a mile past the bridge where you can unload your wheelers. You can run up and down Healy creek all you want on your wheeler, even in August and September as long as you don't go clear up to the headwaters of Healy creek because about 15 miles up you start getting back into the WRCUA.

    You are are allowed to cross Healy creek with your wheeler as long as you don't go past high water mark. If I were you I would use your wheeler to cross Healy creek and then just walk back and forth within the first mile of the Moody drainage. I'm sure you can find a cow running around down there. I've seen allot of them very close to where Moody creek runs into Healy creek.

    Good luck, and congratulations on getting the tag. I hope these guys didn't make you feel bad about asking a question. Just try to help another member out down the line.

    Best regards,
    907
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  19. #19
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    **** some pretty short replies there. Either people are mad they didn't draw what they wanted or they mock others for asking questions. Thought this was a forum that was supposed to be used as a resource? Guess I was wrong
    Late February grumpiness.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  20. #20
    Member 907pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    this tag had a map with it.. and it is CLEARLY in the YCUA. a short read in the reg book would have answered the questions. the YCUA is one of the FEW that are closed year round to ATV access for hunting
    The guy never mentioned anything about the Yanert. You just made a bad assumption. I just ask that next time you make sure you have your information straight before talking down at somebody. I know you think that you are a big shot on here but next time learn to read a map before spouting off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •