Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS165!! Bob and I are going sheep hunting!

Default DS165!! Bob and I are going sheep hunting!

We were lucky enough to party draw DS165! Bob, my son, who will be 10 in a couple of days, will be going on his first sheep hunt and have his own tag in his pocket! I have assigned Bob the task of doing all the research and work on best places to go, access and such, so he's been working on that. We are super excited about this one. Any info you would be willing to share can be sent to him on here. His name is Denalibob.

Not sure where he will pick to go, but it's all up to him! Should be fun.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Dang Claude you left the most important parts up to him!!

Congrats my friend@
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Congrats and what a way to get Mr Bob involved and have some skin in the game. Make sure to show him Bighorse's hunt and tell Mr Bob, that he can't let a girl out hunt him.

Can't wait to see the results!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

We just read the story and seen the pic's of Bighorse's hunt. Cool pic's and way to go Lilly!

I'm a little concerned Bob will have us booked to land at a lake near a Glenallen playground.... But we'll see what he comes up with. Should be interesting. He's calling the biologist tomorrow and the air carrier to get some idea's.

That's awesone that you are getting him into the hunt planning. Good luck!

Bio's husband drew DS165. They probably have that big sheep roped up pretty well with aerial survey work. I'd advise hotel swap with Earl Payne. Hit Manker hard and see what happens.

Sound advice^^^^^^^^ Or drop a float plane into the lake south of there.
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-19-2013 at 16:31.

Good luck guys!!!

Brett

Congrats on your party hunt draw! Very nice to be able to go with your son on a sheep hunt, and both of you having tags, that's great! Good luck on your hunt!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Mr Bob, I hope you and your Dad have a wonderful hunt together. You and your father have every right to the great tag you both drew and I'm sure you will hunt hard and be successful, even if neither get a Ram.

Get to training hard and do your research.

Steve
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-19-2013 at 16:19. Reason: referenced deleted post
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Good luck Bob! Shoot a big one! But more importantly, have fun!!!!
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 02-19-2013 at 16:35.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    We were lucky enough to party draw DS165! Bob, my son, who will be 10 in a couple of days, will be going on his first sheep hunt and have his own tag in his pocket! I have assigned Bob the task of doing all the research and work on best places to go, access and such, so he's been working on that. We are super excited about this one. Any info you would be willing to share can be sent to him on here. His name is Denalibob.

Claude
    Claude and Bob,
    Congrats on drawing an awesome tag! I will look forward to hearing all about your planning and training, as well as the trip itself. Bob, you are lucky to be starting your career as a sheep hunter so early, and I bet we can all learn something for the experiences you will have this year. Look forward to hearing all about it, and best of luck to both of you!

Becca
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 02-19-2013 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post

Claude
    Congrats on the draw! I am super excited to read about how it turns out! Make sure to not forget the camera!

With regards to the deleted posts, I am not willing to allow this thread to get sidetracked. This is about a father-son hunt, not the other issues that one member brought up. Those can be discussed elsewhere.

As for the young hunter, I was out at the lodge this weekend and Bob was taking notes as we talked sheep, access, and maps. He didn't like my training advice too much , but this young hunter is taking the job of research quite seriously. Sheep or no, it's going to be a great thing for him and Claude to head into the mountains together. I did my first sheep hunt with my father at age 11 and remember every detail to this day.

Im not telling anyone that I got a goat tag with my non resident father hahahaha. Glad you have him hashing out the plans!! Sounds like he's already developing that plan!! I can't wait to do this years hunt with my dad. Glad you got the tag with your son!! Congrats!!!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

I would read through the latest info that Tom Lohuis has put together from his studies in that area with Bob. It would also be worthwhile to work up a list of questions with him as well and see if you coud get on the phone with Tom and let Bob interview him.

Well congrats to you Bob(and dad of course) Enjoy the moment young man. This is what it is all about. You are the future of sheep hunting and I am sure you will be hooked.. Doing your homework is almost as important as the hunt itself if not more so.. Mentally prepare yourself and remember just to keep moving forward one step at a time.. When things get tough just take a break and know its ok, it happens to all of us. The mountains are a special place and it is a blessing to get an oppurtuinity to share that with your dad.. Take lots of pictures.. Lujon has a very good point about writing questions down, I will second that suggestion and NEVER be afraid to ask any question no matter what.. Every veteran sheep hunter was a novice once.. I do wish you the very best...

Bob here is a kid about your age on hs first sheep hunt...

My advice to Bob is to do everything possible to find out when and where Becky's husband is hunting and try to be in the same place at the same time. He will obviously be hunting with the most recent, best info available to the Dept. of F&G.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Bob called Becky today, so he's on the right track! Thanks for all the well wishes! I'm really looking forward to this hunt with him. Thanks for all the advice. Bob will be calling Tom also, and getting in shape. Hunting, for us, is never about taking an animal, but enjoying the outdoors. Any animal is just a bonus. A lot of sheep hunting fun is in the planning. Bob was using google earth today, zooming into various valley's and looking at it in 3d from eye level saying.. umm.. Dad, that looks really steep! But he did find some good spots that had some decent ground. He's got a call into Mike Meekins now to get some info and make the booking.
    Claude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast