Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Take your friends, especially new ones on your boat...

  1. #1
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default Take your friends, especially new ones on your boat...

    I have taken a bunch of friends out on my boat, some for a week or more, including some great new friends I have met on this forum and not in person until we all arrived in Valdez. We have all had great times together, and it sure makes you appreciate the wonders of Alaska and PWS all over again when you see their eyes widen and sparkle, and hear what they say. Plus catch fish of course!

    Well, a couple of years ago I took two young guys from the college in Idaho out, and when we got to my nice, nearly new boat, one of them said "Hey Ron, you missed your chance---you shudda stopped at that derelict we passed along the dock and said 'Here we are boys' "

    So, that will definitely happen this season, maybe several times....meanwhile, have any of you ever done this? I can see Pete--Spoiled One-- stopping at some rusty, crusty, salty old beater and saying "Folks, Patience is still at it but she's got a few miles on her"

  2. #2
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    So, that will definitely happen this season, maybe several times....meanwhile, have any of you ever done this? I can see Pete--Spoiled One-- stopping at some rusty, crusty, salty old beater and saying "Folks, Patience is still at it but she's got a few miles on her"
    I see that your wit is not fading as you age, Ron! Funny stuff!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  3. #3
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Do it every year...always great to get guys and gals out that never have the chance to see the beauty from the bay. Great satisfaction watching them catch those salmon while trolling, rockfish or that big halibut...memories for sure, shared by all and hoping they along with the pictures last a lifetime.

    looking forward to it again this year.



    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I have taken a bunch of friends out on my boat, some for a week or more, including some great new friends I have met on this forum and not in person until we all arrived in Valdez. We have all had great times together, and it sure makes you appreciate the wonders of Alaska and PWS all over again when you see their eyes widen and sparkle, and hear what they say. Plus catch fish of course!

    Well, a couple of years ago I took two young guys from the college in Idaho out, and when we got to my nice, nearly new boat, one of them said "Hey Ron, you missed your chance---you shudda stopped at that derelict we passed along the dock and said 'Here we are boys' "

    So, that will definitely happen this season, maybe several times....meanwhile, have any of you ever done this? I can see Pete--Spoiled One-- stopping at some rusty, crusty, salty old beater and saying "Folks, Patience is still at it but she's got a few miles on her"
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  4. #4

    Default

    Having been born here I tend to miss the little things but it is truely priceless to see this great state through someone else's eyes.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  5. #5
    Member pacific23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Whitesboro, Texas
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Some of the BEST days I have had on the water are THANKS to Spoiled one and Propnut. Alaska is AWESOME and I have had the pleasure of meeting some GOOD men and their Families.
    THANKS guys, my house is your house.

  6. #6
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    At least one trip a year I take friends and co-workers out at least once, most of the trips have been great.

    I've been trying to bite my lip and forget it but the one trip I took last year was taking out a neighbor and his daughter. They've been up here for years and he's never taken a fishing trip on the salt water. My wife volunteered me and I was all good and fine with that. Long story short we pick them up at the harbor, everything they need is on board, we'd pulled the shrimp pots on the way in and pulled them again at the end of the day. I covered alot of ground 100+ miles on a less than steller fishing day but everyone caught fish and had a good time. I had my daughter run us back to port so by the time we dropped them off all their fish was filleted and bagged and I gave them a gallon ziplock bag full of shrimp tails.

    I didn't expect anything in return but most everyone has some idea of the expense of running a boat and will offer to chip in on costs. Some times accept and sometimes I refuse. I'll chock it up to he has no clue, but all I got was a thanks and not even an inquiry about covering some of the costs.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  7. #7
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Some of the BEST days I have had on the water are THANKS to Spoiled one and Propnut. Alaska is AWESOME and I have had the pleasure of meeting some GOOD men and their Families.
    THANKS guys, my house is your house.
    I was born and raised here. Deflowering PWS virgins keeps me grounded. Thanks for that! I don't take the Sound for granted, but spending 40-50 days a season out there, I sometimes forget what a beautiful respite she is. April cannot come soon enough!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  8. #8
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    I for one have been very privelaged to have a wife that lets me play as much as I need. Almost anyway! But I always love taking friends out and let them see what most never get to see. PWS is an amazing place. If I could afford it, I'd make it my full time job/hobby. But yes it is an expensive playground.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  9. #9
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I for one have been very privelaged to have a wife that lets me play as much as I need. Almost anyway! But I always love taking friends out and let them see what most never get to see. PWS is an amazing place. If I could afford it, I'd make it my full time job/hobby. But yes it is an expensive playground.
    I have one of those wives myself! Jewels aren't they! :-)

    I got to take a guy out from Israel last summer. First trip to Alaska. It was a great treat to see the excitement on his face every time we did something new.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

  10. #10
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Israel? WOW. Talk about culture shock. I bet he had a blast. My wife works with a bunch of older ladies and I'm guaranteed to have at least 2 groups a summer that she is wanting to take out for a girls day. It's fun seeing them light up with all the scenery, but sometimes I wish I trusted her to run the boat all on her own.....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  11. #11

    Default

    We lived in Dutch for 5-1/2 years and my wife worked at the clinic there and they had lots of visiting doctors, folks who were doing research on rural medicine and medical students. Over those 5-1/2 years I must have taken 60 or 70 visiting folks out fishing and crabbing. Since moving to Anchorage we have continued to take visitors to our state out and I figure I've taken over 150 folks out since we have moved here. We especially enjoy working with a Wounded Warrior group. There is NOTHING that compares to seeing someone catch their first salmon, watch whales breach, see a glacier calving or duck hunt in the most spectacular setting in the world. I've had two young men on board (one was my nephew from California) who have caught thier first fish in thier lives-both of which were King Salmon. Not sure where you go from there but definately was a trip of a lifetime for me! As I've said before, those of us who do this on our weekends probably should remember that for most folks being in PWS is a once in a lifetime deal and usually seen from the deck of a cruise ship with 2000 of thier closest friends.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •