Thread: Wax duck

Default Wax duck

Ok, I've seen many ways to clean ducks. just saw on tv where the dip the duck in wax and then in cold water.
    Then peel wax off like an orange peel. All feathers come off.
    never would of thought of this way to take the festers off.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Pretty awesome. I might have to try it... except I dont' know where to get that much wax. Any ideas?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

There a couple of ways to do this. One is to have a layer of wax on top of hot water and do multiple dips to get a coating. The layer of wax needs to be several inches thick. The other is a whole pot of wax.

Most canning sections in stores have 1 pound bricks of pure paraffin.

Tried this years ago..personally a pain in the $#%...not worth the time nor effort.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    There a couple of ways to do this. One is to have a layer of wax on top of hot water and do multiple dips to get a coating. The layer of wax needs to be several inches thick. The other is a whole pot of wax.

Most canning sections in stores have 1 pound bricks of pure paraffin.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Special affects made it look so easy

So what is the best way to remove the feathers?
    I just been doing it the old fashion way.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

And I will continue to do it that way...

I very seldom do anything other than breast them out..maybe take a leg or two here and there..but mostly just pull the feathers back, run a paring knife down and out and done in about 30 secs. My daughter rips the hearts and livers out and we call it.

Back in the day when guiding..we would kill 20-40 a day...then it was more worth to take the legs and fry them up.

unfortunately for us duckhunters..the wax thing is about as high speed as it gets..and not worth it in my opinion. I guess you could try burning them off with a propane torch..heard that works as well..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Special affects made it look so easy

I just been doing it the old fashion way.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

One friend bring a drill and has this thing he put on it and it strips the feathers.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I just breast them out, but I know a few guys who pluck, I'll pass this along and let them try it. They usually just give the birds to the kids and let them pluck them. It keeps them busy for an hour or so.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

[QUOTE=

I just been doing it the old fashion way.[/QUOTE]

When I went to California this year there was a place that would pluck, clean, and vacume seal them for about $2 per duck, geese were a little more but that was money well spent in my opinion. They were using one of those things with the rubber fingers on it but it was the industrial sized one. I have used a smaller one years ago on chickens and it worked good but takes a little practice. I would think that with the drill sized one it would be a two man job as for me it was a two handed job. Its not easy at first with the rotary thing but they do work. I think you can get one through cabelas but be warned they can make your yard look liked it snowed feathers. So if you go that route you will want to get some kind of catch bin for the feathers.

I have been doing this for years, but only on late season ducks in AK. We used poultry wax, which is much stickier than paraffin. You rough pluck the ducks and the wax does the rest. We use an old pot filled with water. Melt a half pound or so of wax and dip rough plucked ducks. Lay one newspapers to cool, then peel off wax and you will have the best looking ducks for roasting. I will only use this on prime ducks but a good roast duck is hard to beat! I have had a really hard time getting real poultry wax, but have been doing ok mixing paraffin and beeswax.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    When I went to California this year there was a place that would pluck, clean, and vacume seal them for about $2 per duck, geese were a little more but that was money well spent in my opinion. They were using one of those things with the rubber fingers on it but it was the industrial sized one. I have used a smaller one years ago on chickens and it worked good but takes a little practice. I would think that with the drill sized one it would be a two man job as for me it was a two handed job. Its not easy at first with the rotary thing but they do work. I think you can get one through cabelas but be warned they can make your yard look liked it snowed feathers. So if you go that route you will want to get some kind of catch bin for the feathers.
    Where in California did u go? One of my best friends runs the Mallard in Tule Lake

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Where in California did u go? One of my best friends runs the Mallard in Tule Lake
    I hunted the Colusa area. We hunted the butte sink and some private farm land. I plan on going back next year.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2