Thread: Char snapped fishing rod

Default Char snapped fishing rod

I guess it was going to happen sooner or later with all the lunkers I've been pulling out. Snapped my MH Cabela's deluxe 28" rod setting the hook on a 18 inch char. Had to finish pulling it in by hand. Fishing rod broke inside the cork handle and the whole rod separated. Called Cabela's from the fish hut and they said they would send out another rod no charge. Really can't wait to get these guys here. Good thing I had my trusty Walmart backup to finish the day out. BTW the rod breaker was caught at Memory.

Head down to Three Rivers in Wasilla and have them make you a custom rod. I did this year and it's by far the best ice fishing rod I have used.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

What are these rods made of and do you have a pic of the one you had made? I need a good heavy duty jigging rig.

They are made out of fiberglass boat rod blanks.... They take about the last 50 inches of the rod (Depending on how long you want your rod) and install a reel seat and guides of your choice. You can have it built into a spinning rod (How mine is) or built into a baitcaster (Like DS56's..) they may even be able to do an acid wrap if that's your kool-aid. I will say this, unless you are catching fish 24+ inches quite regularly, they are way overkill. I only use mine when I'm using big jigs and expecting big fish, so that basically rules out any valley lakes unless your fishing pike or something. They cost about $80-$100 based on the options you choose.

They might be able to build you a lighter duty one for fishing valley lakes... Another thing to keep in mind is the overall length of the rod... short rods are less forgiving, especially when your fighting large fish (think big lakers...) but the downside to a 40-50" rod is if you plan on using it inside of a pop-up or hard side ice shelter they can be somewhat cumbersome.

I never got to see this fish.. But last weekend myself and a lady friend got into some lakers so I tied on a large soft plastic and dropped it down. My rod is a heavy action 40" rod spooled with 20lb power pro. I keep the drag TIGHT on this rod. I had a solid take and set the hook into what felt like a concrete wall... followed by a few seconds of drag screaming off the real. Hook came out.... but had I landed that fish it certainly would have been the first one to really put the strain on the setup!photo.jpg