Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiral Wrapped Rods

Default Spiral Wrapped Rods

I'm shopping for some new rods this year and in my search I've discovered something I've never heard of before---"spiral wrapped" rods. For those that don't know what it is, it's essentially a rod where the guides are mounted slightly offset to each other the length of the rod so that you end up with a tip-top that's actually upside down.

Has anyone here ever actually fished with one? It's an interesting concept, but I don't entirely "buy" it. There are a number of different YouTube videos touting how much better it is than the conventional rod and a number of rod builders that say how great it is. Just curious if anyone has ever tried one. Here's the website that the picture came from: http://customanglerods.com/index.php...d=58&Itemid=61.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

No actual experience using one but it is commonly referredto as 'Acid wrap'.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    No actual experience using one but it is commonly referredto as 'Acid wrap'.
    Yeah, some people call it that and some don't. If you do a Google search for either term you'll find it either way. Whatever you call it the guides are mounted in a spiral around the rod. I figured that would garner more interest than the subject being "Acid Wrapped Rods."

I've seen it on custom muskie rods, casted one for an afternoon, but never caught a fish with one. I've heard numerous reasons for it, but I guess I've never had enough (or any issue for that matter) of an issue with a conventionally wrapped rod to make me want to build a rod like that. Certainly not saying it doesn't work or even that it's not beneficial in some way; I just kinda see it as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Spiral wrapped rods have been made since the first patent in 1909. As in all things there are advantages and disadvantages in all designs.

Having fished with conventional reels and rods 40 years. I saw no real benefit .......... But curiosity, novelty and being a tackle whore junky got the best of me. I have and fished them for a few years. They are comfortable for many who are making the transition from spinning gear to conventional or those that do not fish regularly. People when fighting something that really pulls back has a tendency to have conventional reel torque. Problems with keeping the reel horizontal to the water. Spiral wrapped the reel is stabilized in the proper position. Depending on finger strength you can literally hold the rod with two fingers and the rod and reel will remain upright. Trolling the spiral wrapped rod will stay in the proper position without the need for a gimbal to hold the reel in it's proper position. Too many times have I seen vibration moving the reel into the upside down position in gunnel mount rod holders.

The biggest downside I have experienced is line wrapping around the base guide when speed jigging. Slacked spectra seems to want to loop around anything that it can. Probably my technique is flawed or the jig weight is to light for gram rating of the rod.

Pulling on Montegue grade of Lingcod and Halibut was almost to easy on the 500g Jigging Master Power Spell rod (spiral wrapped) paired with a Accurate BX2 500 reel.

Still I prefer a conventionally wrapped rod................7'6 Super Seeker Hercules XH for jigging is my latest junky fix.
    Last edited by mojomizer; 02-18-2013 at 16:44. Reason: Grammar, spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    I've seen it on custom muskie rods, casted one for an afternoon, but never caught a fish with one. I've heard numerous reasons for it, but I guess I've never had enough (or any issue for that matter) of an issue with a conventionally wrapped rod to make me want to build a rod like that. Certainly not saying it doesn't work or even that it's not beneficial in some way; I just kinda see it as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojomizer View Post
    Spiral wrapped rods have been made since the first patent in 1909. As in all things there are advantages and disadvantages in all designs.

Having fished with conventional reels and rods 40 years. I saw no real benefit .......... But curiosity, novelty and being a tackle whore junky got the best of me. I have and fished them for a few years. They are comfortable for many who are making the transition from spinning gear to conventional or those that do not fish regularly. People when fighting something that really pulls back has a tendency to have conventional reel torque. Problems with keeping the reel horizontal to the water. Spiral wrapped the reel is stabilized in the proper position. Depending on finger strength you can literally hold the rod with two fingers and the rod and reel will remain upright. Trolling the spiral wrapped rod will stay in the proper position without the need for a gimbal to hold the reel in it's proper position. Too many times have I seen vibration moving the reel into the upside down position in gunnel mount rod holders.

The biggest downside I have experienced is line wrapping around the base guide when speed jigging. Slacked spectra seems to want to loop around anything that it can. Probably my technique is flawed or the jig weight is to light for gram rating of the rod.

Pulling on Montegue grade of Lingcod and Halibut was almost to easy on the 500g Jigging Master Power Spell rod (spiral wrapped) paired with a Accurate BX2 500 reel.

Still I prefer a conventionally wrapped rod................7'6 Super Seeker Hercules XH for jigging is my latest junky fix.
    Yeah, it sure looks a little too "gimicky" for me. Maybe it has some benefits, but they seem minor advantages to what a GOOD conventional rod will do for you. To me it seems kind of like the guideless through the blank rods that made such a big splash a number of years ago. I remember going to the Anch. Sportsman's Show back about 10 (?) years ago and everyone was saying they were THE rod to own and how it was revolutionizing fishing rods. Well, how many do you see being made these days. I'm not saying they're aren't good, but if they were THAT good everyone would be selling and buying them. I'm all for something revolutionary if it truly is revolutionary and DOES change the fishing world.

I saw the Hercules rods on Charkbait and they sure look like great rods. Unfortunately I can't afford $350 - $400 a rod to outfit my boat. I have thought about treating MYSELF though. Hmmmm.....

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    ...if they were THAT good everyone would be selling and buying them.

I was going to mention that very thing, but forgot to before I hit "post."

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    I was going to mention that very thing, but forgot to before I hit "post."
    LOL! Yeah, the "if it's THAT good then everyone would be doing it" thing is probably the first thing I think of when I see a "new" technology. Funny how well time sorts out what works and doesn't. Though I bought Sony BetaMax when it WAS better than VHF and I still have that Sony BetaMax sitting in my pile of defunct junk.

Guess those guides spiraled around the blank throws out the "spline" of the blank theory ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Hello Potbuilder, Just ate my last bag of PWS Spots/Stripes now I am Jonesing for another bag.

Actually the spline is very important in a spiral wrapped rod. As is guide placement. The spline is opposite of a normal conventional rod, mimicking the spline placement of a spinning rod. Guide size and placement becomes very important as to minimalize rotational torque of the blank.

I spiral wrapped a rod for a friend who happened to be left handed. He wanted to pair the rod with a left handed Avet reel........ Great google moogly the spiral of the guides should have been the opposite direction as a right handed rod. 8 hours of meticulous thread work cut out stripped down. Heck with it and just wrapped it conventional.

Muttley talk to this guy Tony, does super quality work and is price reasonable. He donated a custom rod for a event I held.

http://www.ocrods.com/page10/page10.html He can help in the selection of the right action rod you want.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Guess those guides spiraled around the blank throws out the "spline" of the blank theory ??
    You know, that was the FIRST thing that came to MY mind, too. But I've always called it the "spine."

Anyway, I think the theory is still intact because after thinking about it you just want the spine to be either on the top of the rod or the bottom because that's where the "power" of the rod is. In other words you don't want the spine to be on the side of the rod. Whether you put the spine on the top or the bottom is a somewhat contentious issue.

Hello Potbuilder, Just ate my last bag of PWS Spots/Stripes now I am Jonesing for another bag.

Actually the spline is very important in a spiral wrapped rod. As is guide placement. The spline is opposite of a normal conventional rod, mimicking the spline placement of a spinning rod. Guide size and placement becomes very important as to minimalize rotational torque of the blank.

I spiral wrapped a rod for a friend who happened to be left handed. He wanted to pair the rod with a left handed Avet reel........ Great google moogly the spiral of the guides should have been the opposite direction as a right handed rod. 8 hours of meticulous thread work cut out stripped down. Heck with it and just wrapped it conventional.

Muttley talk to this guy Tony, does super quality work and is price reasonable. He donated a custom rod for a event I held.

http://www.ocrods.com/page10/page10.html He can help in the selection of the right action rod you want.
    Thanks for the link and the suggestions. They look like very nice rods, but my problem is I'm outfitting my charter operation with them, so planning on purchasing 4 or 5, so I'm aiming for more like the $100 per rod range. I can do that through either Shimano or Okuma. But thanks again for the suggestions!

I own a spiral wrapped rod I used for trolling for trout and kokanee in the Sierra's when I lived there. It was my favorite rod but I think a lot of that had to do with the quality of the rod. Here's a link to the rod I had http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com...39;s/rods.html. They sell one they advertise for halibut but it looks a little on the light side to me.

Do I think the spiral wrap was necessary, not really. Did it work out as mojomizer describes...yep and I never had any problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    I own a spiral wrapped rod I used for trolling for trout and kokanee in the Sierra's when I lived there. It was my favorite rod but I think a lot of that had to do with the quality of the rod. Here's a link to the rod I had http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com...39;s/rods.html. They sell one they advertise for halibut but it looks a little on the light side to me.

Do I think the spiral wrap was necessary, not really. Did it work out as mojomizer describes...yep and I never had any problems with it.
    Why do we insist on calling them "spiral wrap" when everyone knows they're commonly referred to as "acid wrapped" rods!? We bad!

Anyway, yeah, I sure would LOVE to try one some day, but I'm not sure if I want to purchase 4 or 5 of them just to "try" them. Like I've said before, the clients I normally take out fishing aren't going to be that picky about what they're using. Certainly not enough so that they'd be able to discern the difference between a spiral wrap vs. conventional. Maybe a Trevala F Butterfly Jig rod and a "tuna stick", but not a spiral wrap. I've never had anyone complain about my Ticas and they're about 8 to 10 oz. heavier than a Trevala F series rod.

And you're correct on the "on the light side" for those halibut rods. It looks like Steve is from CA (or somewhere in the lower48) and down there it seems a 40 lb. halibut is considered BIG!!! So a rod that can he describes as a "Live Bait; Mooching; Downrigging; Salmon-Halibut-Lake Trout-Striper Rod" would certainly be a challenge for a bigger AK halibut. I took some people out last summer that were from CA and when one of them caught on that was about 15 to 20 lbs. and I told them to throw it back they were flabbergasted that I'd release a "big" halibut like that. LOL!

Thanks for the info, though, Patrick. I appreciate the assistance!

Acid wrap , a new wrap an it works it stops or reducies the rod turning under load , have fished with them the only place I know where to get them is in the custon hop section an, i will cost you more to get them you realy cain from them is on heave fish 75 lbs an up is where you realy cain that is where the rod turns on you a lot

Acid wrap ........... The California story goes like this (true). A custom rod maker was showing his wares one rod in particular was Spiral wrapped being the late 60's early 70's. Someone says "Looks like you were on acid wrapping that rod."

Had a real oldtimer take a pair of pliers to one of my rods saying he was going to fix it.

Muttley..... yeah I would not buy them for clients. The general public would be claiming " The **** cheapo Capt. gave us messed up rods."

We thought my friend was hooked up to a really decent Hali .......... Turned out to be a huge Skate.

Opinion alert.......... Shimano has a lifetime warranty???????? and client recognition as quality outfits.
    Last edited by mojomizer; 02-19-2013 at 20:02. Reason: Dumb opinion.

Hey Mojo! I think next time you should bring an acid wrapped rod in green. I think I could fish it right handed. It would be like somebody else was doing the reeling!

I would never have believed that it would have an effect on rod torque, but that red rod was proof! That was a big ole skate wasn't it? Too bad the real big ones got away, eh? **** halibut farmer!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Hey Spoiled, Those big ones need to lay their eggs and make some giants for your kids........ I call it game management. Thats Ken's story and he's sticking to it.

You want a custom green and gold Seeker Hercules GTS 70 XH Spi errrrrr "Acid Wrapped" left handed style with the spiderwrap artwork, grips and reel seat made for your 6'6" frame?????................ No problems my friend just have a little GC Patience. Tried Spooling your Left handed Avet sheeeze never felt so akward. I guarantee no one will use your rods.

Muttley you are right, Spine is the proper terminology........ I'm a bit old school.... my dad taught me how to wrap rods using a shoe box, that was the terminology he used....... and was common terminology to the old Harnell rod blanks made in the 60's.
    Last edited by mojomizer; 02-19-2013 at 22:26. Reason: Spline spine

Hey Spoiled, Those big ones need to lay their eggs and make some giants for your kids........ I call it game management. Thats Ken's story and he's sticking to it.

You want a custom green and gold Seeker Hercules GTS 70 XH Spi errrrrr "Acid Wrapped" left handed style with the spiderwrap artwork, grips and reel seat made for your 6'6" frame?????................ No problems my friend just have a little GC Patience. Tried Spooling your Left handed Avet sheeeze never felt so akward. I guarantee no one will use your rods.
    I can fish it either way, but I prefer to reel with my left and pump with the right. I roll the same way with my spinning reels, bait casters, and fly reels. Give me a basketball or football and I am right hand dominant. I have become quite proficient at tipping a pint with either hand.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I can fish it either way, but I prefer to reel with my left and pump with the right. I roll the same way with my spinning reels, bait casters, and fly reels. Give me a basketball or football and I am right hand dominant. I have become quite proficient at tipping a pint with either hand.

Reminds me of some people I've fished with. They prefer to fish with bait and use a rod holder, that way they can have a beer in each hand.

A couple years back my youngest son broke his left arm, for the second time. I figured while he was on the mend he'd be better off pumping the rod with his right hand and reeling with the left so I got a left handed avet sx. He didn't have much reeling to port so I sold the reel. Funny thing is when he started shooting he'd aim with his left eye (though he's right eye dominant and I broke him of that bad habbit) and he surfs goofy footed so you'd think he'd be sorta mixed dominant.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast