Thread: Dc481 air transporter recommendation

Default Dc481 air transporter recommendation

My daughter drew the DC481 hunt. I want to have a good hunt with her. Can anyone recommend a good air transporter out of Talkeetna to get us back into that area?

not sure what area it is...need to say the area not just the tag number. but i'm guessing since your asking about talkeetna, i'd just say alaska bush float plane service, some of the best around.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The western foothills of the Talkeetna Mountains. Maybe 80 miles out of Talkeetna.

See pic below

I would agree with BRWNBR - I've flown numerous times with Alaska Bush Float Plane Service. http://www.alaskafloatplane.com/

ya i'd stick with akbush float plane, still the best around for working that area. not alot of dirt strips out there and in sept or aug they'll all be full most likely.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

You could also go in from the Glenn highway. Meekin's Air service www.meekinsairservice.com/

If the draw hunts were like last year, giving you the option to hunt wherever in unit 13, you might not need to fly out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If the draw hunts were like last year, giving you the option to hunt wherever in unit 13, you might not need to fly out.
    I wouldn't count on that happening again this year. Last year was to address a situation they did not expect. If at all possible, they will want to avoid doing that to help spread out the hunting pressure. This year, they knew the situation ahead of time and added more permits to each area to help account for it.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I wouldn't count on that happening again this year. Last year was to address a situation they did not expect. If at all possible, they will want to avoid doing that to help spread out the hunting pressure. This year, they knew the situation ahead of time and added more permits to each area to help account for it.
    Could they have not awarded the extra 4500 bull permits and confined hunters to the original hunt boundaries? It was indeed a grand cluster on the Denali last August but surely they knew that ahead of time. What is the hunter participation rate for 481? I have to think it's low compared to the other three areas/hunts.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Could they have not awarded the extra 4500 bull permits and confined hunters to the original hunt boundaries? It was indeed a grand cluster on the Denali last August but surely they knew that ahead of time. What is the hunter participation rate for 481? I have to think it's low compared to the other three areas/hunts.
    I doubt it. My guess would be that they are looking for a take of 5,000+ animals this year just based on the fact that they are still about 1000 short of their goal from last year and it has been a pretty mild winter (thus high survivor rate of calves from this year). They gave out a bit short of 7,000 Tier I permits, so would still need to give out a lot more than 500 draw permits to achieve such a high take. I think by upping the number of permits given, but maintaining the sub-unit boundaries, they should be able to get the desired result. With a long season, they could always fall back on an EO to relax the boundaries for the winter season if they see the need based on the fall hunt numbers.