Thread: M1 Carbine

Default M1 Carbine

I have always been interested in this little rifle since it was the first center fire gun I ever shot ( I think). Dad had an all original Winchester early model that was as new when he got it in 1955-ish. I'm not sure of its heritage in that he had this friend that was just home from Korea, worked at the armory at FT. Sill and.....
    Anyway I've owned a few of these and currently have a very nice National Postal Meter, a Rock-Ola and dad's old Winchester. Funny thing happened at the last gun show. I'm always looking for carbine and Garand parts at those tables with all the mil-surp parts and such and I stumbled onto a table with few carbine receivers and a gazillion other parts. the receivers were offered at $50 and I found one that was marked " IRWIN-PEDERSON ". Well I didn't know much about that company but have since learned that they started with a contract but were too slow (making them too good I think) and the contract was taken away and given to Saginaw Steering gear of General Motors. This was the second "SAGANAW" marked plant. But these " IRWIN-PEDERSON " parts were very few and very good, rare it seems, and valuable. So I think I'll pick up a couple more parts and put one of these together. I need a stock, maybe a nice cherry wood Rock-Ola stock and a bolt. Anybody own one of these little rifles?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I had an Inland, a Winchester and a Postal Meter. Both of which I had to sell back when I was married to Satan's sister. The Postal Meter was interesting because they had double stamped the serial number.

For a few years I worked for a dept that let us carry our own rifles and we discovered that an M-1 carbine fit perfectly into an standard M-870 police cruiser shotgun rack. It is amazing how much wood a 110 grain ball round will penetrate.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Irwin Pedersen made approx 1,000 carbines, or .02% of total production. So 2 out of every 10,000 will be an IP. The only one scarcer would be one marked Commecial Controls. IP's are 2 to 3 grand when you can find one.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Irwin Pedersen made approx 1,000 carbines, or .02% of total production. So 2 out of every 10,000 will be an IP. The only one scarcer would be one marked Commecial Controls. IP's are 2 to 3 grand when you can find one.
    So....what's my upper worth? I only have one IP marked part, besides the receiver.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I would imagine in excess of a thousand, but I've not seen just an IP receiver offered. Only complete rifles.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I have one marked "Quality Hardware & Machine". It was also a Korean war bring-back. Paratroop stock original. Very fun little shooter.