Thread: Unit 13 caribou update

Default Unit 13 caribou update

Had a blast with the oldest yesterday. She has had the tag all fall but as she found out with school and work, it gets harder to get out into the field the older you get. We seen about 40 plus animals and had a blast with each other stalking a few of the groups. This one here we hiked down a hill after spotting them and stayed out of sight until we got to a group of trees to hide behind. Then one by one they came out onto the lake. Mostly cows and calves but just like in the fall, the bulls where last in line. They sure look goofy with no antlers. Those of you that still need to fill a tag and have a snowmachine, we took off onto the Eureka trail from the Wolverine Lodge at Lake Louise and went exactly 23 miles before we were seeing groups of caribou everywhere. Go a little further (26 miles) and you will climb in elevation for some great glassing. We were near John lake, about 1/2 way to Eureka. The trail was groomed to where we stopped and was an excellent ride. Watch for a HUGE prego cow moose on the trail about 3 miles in. Good luck!

Congrats to your daughter! Glad you got it done. My neice still has a tag, so we are hoping to get out again in March to try to knock one more down.

Congratulations! That sounds like a nice quick trip. It's nice to see that you connected.

Congrats and I like the update. I dont have a tag so I dont necessarily need the update info, but I definitely appreciate it. Helping others out with info is the way it should be, rather than some of the sarcastic replies one gets when asking for help on here. Congrats again, glad it was a good time.

Nice job! I always love seeing former students on here. Tell your daughter that I said congratulations.

For others thinking of heading further north, I just got back from a couple of days on the Denali Highway. We saw a few groups of caribou anywhere from 3 miles out of Cantwell to just on the other side of the Susitna River bridge. I wouldn't say they're thick, but there are definitely caribou to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nice job! I always love seeing former students on here. Tell your daughter that I said congratulations.

For others thinking of heading further north, I just got back from a couple of days on the Denali Highway. We saw a few groups of caribou anywhere from 3 miles out of Cantwell to just on the other side of the Susitna River bridge. I wouldn't say they're thick, but there are definitely caribou to be had.
    Yep just spent a couple days up there. Caribou being caribou and knowing we had a tag along with us meant we had to go 40+ miles east on the Denali from Cantwell and then a couple miles south off the road before we saw our first on on Saturday. Saw about 30 caribou and only one for sure bull which my buddy was able to take. (Brian you might have saw some blood left in the driveway ) Saturday after my buddy left I went out again and saw a dozen even before we got past the road closed sign. Then a dozen more on the Nenana River (granted both in AHTNA areas) and still a dozen more near Seattle Creek. They are out there for sure.

Steve,

Congrats on getting your daughter a caribou to fill the freezer with. Sounds like a great time and judging by the cloud cover it might not have been too cold either!!! Thanks for sharing the pic/story.