Thread: Drew a 14c sheep tag. Thoughts?

Default Drew a 14c sheep tag. Thoughts?

I was lucky enough to draw DS 131, which is a blessing and a curse. Everyone and their brother's buddy is envious, but the reality is that there are not many sheep in that area (none harvested in the last two seasons). The up-side is that if I can find one... chances are it will be a big boy. This hunt is all about being ready to put in miles, and hope the winter stays as mild as it's been. ANyone ever draw this tag before? Anything above and beyond the regular I should know? I'v heard that the guides really run the rams deep into the valley, as do the 'day hikers' and 'hunting haters'.

Several rams come out of that area every year. I don't know which tag it was but I am pretty sure a buddy of mine was in on a harvest back there in 2012. If you hike it all regularly then you should be able to find ways to cover lots of ground and get into the sheep. They are in there for sure.

The sheep are deep in Peters Creek valley. They are always on pioneer peak have fun with that. Twin peaks they seem to know which side of the drainage to stay on. Not an easy hunt or a sure thing, but thousands spent 5 dollars for a crack at it. I don't think many know how tough an area, or how busy an area it is.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

were talking middle season peters creek?????? i'm pretty sure there have been several sheep taken....wish i had time to look for ya,,,,i;m headed in on ds130 with a friend,,,,,and have been lucky enough to have hunted that area 2 different times in the past, good area with plenty of sheep....thats my story and i'm sticking too it.
    I ♥ Big Sheep

bear.... twin peaks is not part of peters nor is pioneer.....wish they were.....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    bear.... twin peaks is not part of peters nor is pioneer.....wish they were.....
    Not sure why I was quoted here ...lol

Xcrnr don't get held up on statistics they are in there.. My advice is to hike in to just before the y about 17 miles and on your left there is a valley that goes up to a big bowl. From there you can get on the ridge and see the left side of the y, part of the right side of the y and across the main valley looking towards eagle river. Good glass will let you know if the sheep in the distance are worth chasin. There is also a good bowl on the right side of the y up towards the end of it that may hold some sheep.. Also from this staging point you can access the ridge you share with the bow area and also thunderbird creek area... Have fun with it

This is a 131 ram

That was my thought as well. From what I can make out, the left side of the P. Creek valley will yield better chances. The right side (E. River, Mt. Magnificent) is going to be heavily travelled and most sheep will probably stay back toward Mt. Bellicose and the glacier. WHen did you get that ram? I plan on using up to 10 days if I need it, but if I scout the area well... it might not take that long.

I'm glad you reinforce that this can be a good hunt. Leave the big ram for me when you leave, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    That was my thought as well. From what I can make out, the left side of the P. Creek valley will yield better chances. The right side (E. River, Mt. Magnificent) is going to be heavily travelled and most sheep will probably stay back toward Mt. Bellicose and the glacier. WHen did you get that ram? I plan on using up to 10 days if I need it, but if I scout the area well... it might not take that long.
    Its a hunters ram and it was several years ago. I used to do a little work in the park. Number are down but no reason to get discouraged. I would hunt that tag in the blink of an eye....

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361214938.076714.jpg

Here's a map
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

sorry...back in the day twin peaks and pioneer were part of the hunter creek permit area.....{bear} i meant to say beavers....sorry again
    I ♥ Big Sheep

I was lucky and pulled this same tag in 09 and though I didn't get a monster I pulled out one of my favorite sheep.Also helped a buddy last year walk one out.There are some big sheep in there,I'd be stoked to say the least to hold that tag again.I'd be spending my summer in there watching sheep.There was a monster in a band of 3 sheep we stalked.First time sheep hunter couldn't make it happen.Just hope he finds a way to make it this winter and survive the first two tag openers so I can take my brother(who drew the tag this year)in there this fall and look at how big he really on the ground this this fall.Good luck to ya!!

I've noticed the statistics are way low for success.I wonder why?Scouted in there a bunch and can allways find rams.Seen at least 8 legal last fall.I think most people take this hunt as it has to be easy,it's in the anchorage bowl?I think it's one of the toughest terrain wise that I've been on twice!Can't wait to be involved in another park hunt,love those hills!

Not the best report but here is my 09' write up.http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-09?highlight=

[QUOTE=Kotton;1249142]I was lucky and pulled this same tag in 09 and though I didn't get a monster I pulled out one of my favorite sheep.Also helped a buddy last year walk one out.There are some big sheep in there,I'd be stoked to say the least to hold that tag again.I'd be spending my summer in there watching sheep.There was a monster in a band of 3 sheep we stalked.First time sheep hunter couldn't make it happen.Just hope he finds a way to make it this winter and survive the first two tag openers so I can take my brother(who drew the tag this year)in there this fall and look at how big he really on the ground this this fall.Good luck to ya!!

If you're willing to tell me... which area did you opt for? Peter's Creek or Pioneer Peak. Not saying it will help me either way, I'm just curious which you did solo. I plan on weekly scouting trips in both areas as I live in Palmer. I can't wait to see all the country and hopefully bag a trophy size ram. Miles and climbing are not a giant issue as I'm in pretty good shape. I have a good friend willing to be my pack mule, and I have time. Your comment about how your wife got to hate all the sheep talk rings true. Mine is already spent and it's only Feb. Wait until July... ha.

xcrnr,

I am new to this website but I am also a lucky one that has the 131 tag. I have some questions for ya, as I do not wish to trample on the area that you might be in. Please email me at bfrenchy1@gmail.com and we can chat. Thanks

Never had this tag but I've been in that country enough.

Glaciers are your friend. Find the ice and look up. Good glass and patience, maybe a climbing rope.

Get a biggun!
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today