Thread: Big and Little SU access

Default Big and Little SU access

Winter time planning:

Anybody have some advice on accessing the Little Su and Big Su via the Port of Anchorage? I have a 20ft Wooldridge inboard jet boat. I have been down close to the mouth of the big Su before and know it is really braided up. I have seen the mouth of the Little Su from the inlet side, but have not been closer than 2 or 3 miles away to really know how it is.

General consensus is that it is best approached by loading the boat on a trailer and towing it to Burma or Deshka landing...

I've been all way down big sue into inlet once and will never never never did I say never do it again.....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I've been all way down big sue into inlet once and will never never never did I say never do it again.....
    I am really really really inclined to agree with you. I have been down there with a wee little boat and it was sketchy. I don't think I want to stick the inboard.

How about the mouth of the Little Su. Any better?

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Winter time planning:

Anybody have some advice on accessing the Little Su and Big Su via the Port of Anchorage? I have a 20ft Wooldridge inboard jet boat. I have been down close to the mouth of the big Su before and know it is really braided up. I have seen the mouth of the Little Su from the inlet side, but have not been closer than 2 or 3 miles away to really know how it is.

You can acsess the Su from the Inlet no problem, But only at high tide. It only takes about and hour from Anchorage and is the quickest way to get here. It is best to learn the way from someone before you try it. You can GPS the route and at high tide should be no problem. Just make sure you have the right boat and right equipment, it can turn nasty real fast out there!

I've crossed upper Cook Inlet going to the Big Su lots of times. But not with an inboard jet. I've run it with outboard props and jets...
    With a prop you definitely have to hit the Mouth of the Big Su at high tide and kinda feel your way up into the river. High tide at the Big Su is not the same as book time at port of Anchorage. If you have ANY wind (strong breeze) coming out of Turnagain FORGET IT. if they are predicting strong winds for the Anchorage area FORGET IT. If you leave port of Anchorage a good hour - hour and a half before high tide (book time) AND you know where the current main channel in the Su Delta is, you'll do fine. If your a little late getting started, your going to end up setting out all alone in the mud flats waiting for the next high tide.. small planes will fly over, and wag their wings at you. Elmendorf may (or may not) launch a helo to check on you.. If they do, cover up your cribbage cards or the ****ed prop wash will scatter your cards all over... (don't ask).. Good Luck

If they do, cover up your cribbage cards or the ****ed prop wash will scatter your cards all over... (don't ask).. Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Was you ahead?