Thread: Trout Bead recipe's

Default Trout Bead recipe's

If it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if anyone is willing to share some of their "recipe's" (nail polish, trout bead color combo's) for rainbows and silvers for the month of Sept. Will be floating the Kenai a couple of days and DIY the rest of my week long trip. Thanks for your time...

JM-

Default Kenai...

I hear alot about pink and orange beads, 6mm and 8mm, being painted with a sheer polish to add realism. Pearlescence, sheer, you get the point. There is a fishing shop in Soldotna, Coopers Landing, or Sterling that has all you need. I have heard about it, but not yet been. The name of the shop is Troutfitters. They will sell you what you need. Also, they have a guiding service so if you were interested, they would be a good choice for a one day guided trip. That may be what you need to get started in the right direction. As for silvers, check with the guys at Troutfitters. I hear they like pink, pink, and pink. Bunny flies being a mainstay. Pink mauraders, starlight leeches, purple egg sucking leech with pink head, would all be a good start. The colors are pink usually, but I hear alot about fuschia being a better choice than the pale, normal looking pink. Also, check out www.bristolbayflies.com they have some nice flies for silvers. The Psycho leech is a great one. They may sell the marauders also. Check out their website. All the flies for silvers are between size 1 and 2/0. Pink, fuschia, and chartreuse are popular colors. I highly suggest two books, "Topwater" by Troy Leatherman and "Alaska Fishing" by Gunnar Petterson. Tons of info in both those books on all of Alaskas gamefish. I got more info from those two books, than all the others put together. Find them on www.Amazon.com . Research Crescent and Carter Lake. They are nice hike in lakes for grayling located near Moose Pass on the way down to Seward. Some bead head zug bugs and prince nymphs in size 10-14 would do well. My first choice would be olive bead head woolly buggers in size 6-10. Black also. Take some dries for summer months. Adams, Irrasistables (msp??) , tan elk hair caddis, and royal wulffs all in size 12. Except the Irrisistables (still msp??) could be size 6-10. Read up on Quartz Creek and Resurection Creek near the town of Hope.

Default Kenai...

I hear alot about pink and orange beads, 6mm and 8mm, being painted with a sheer polish to add realism. Pearlescence, sheer, you get the point. There is a fishing shop in Soldotna, Coopers Landing, or Sterling that has all you need. I have heard about it, but not yet been. The name of the shop is Troutfitters. They will sell you what you need. Also, they have a guiding service so if you were interested, they would be a good choice for a one day guided trip. That may be what you need to get started in the right direction. As for silvers, check with the guys at Troutfitters. I hear they like pink, pink, and pink. Bunny flies being a mainstay. Pink mauraders, starlight leeches, purple egg sucking leech with pink head, would all be a good start. The colors are pink usually, but I hear alot about fuschia being a better choice than the pale, normal looking pink. Also, check out www.bristolbayflies.com they have some nice flies for silvers. The Psycho leech is a great one. They may sell the marauders also. Check out their website. All the flies for silvers are between size 1 and 2/0. Pink, fuschia, and chartreuse are popular colors. I highly suggest two books, "Topwater" by Troy Leatherman and "Alaska Fishing" by Gunnar Petterson. Tons of info in both those books on all of Alaskas gamefish. I got more info from those two books, than all the others put together. Find them on www.Amazon.com . Research Crescent and Carter Lake. They are nice hike in lakes for grayling located near Moose Pass on the way down to Seward. Some bead head zug bugs and prince nymphs in size 10-14 would do well. My first choice would be olive bead head woolly buggers in size 6-10. Black also. Take some dries for summer months. Adams, Irrasistables (msp??) , tan elk hair caddis, and royal wulffs all in size 12. Except the Irrisistables (still msp??) could be size 6-10. Read up on Quartz Creek and Resurection Creek near the town of Hope.

rootbeer 6mm you can use orange all you want just don't put it by fish on the russian cause you'll spook em. Whens the last time you've seen an orange sockeye egg floating in the water? Purple works way good too
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default beads

Didn't think you could fish a bead on the russian.

Thanks for the reply... This was exactly the kind of info. I was looking for. I appreciate the help.

The peach pearl ones work great for rainbows late in the year. if salmon are present use a smaller bead 6mm to 8mm. If you are fishing after the salmon have gone then try a 10mm to 12mm.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Beads work well on the Russian, but you have to "match the hatch".

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    You can if its a) Melted to the hook or b) after august 20
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Like this