Thread: Gulkana / Klutina

Default Gulkana / Klutina

For those of you who just have to know the fishing is picking up on the Gulkana and Klutina Rivers. The Water Level is low for this time of year on the Gulkana. Extremely good Caddis Hatch is still going with a spackling of Stone Flies. Rainbow and Grayling are very active from Sourdough down to the Richardson Bridge, but as with all years when the Kings are in heavy change over to egg patterns, and yes Smolt out is not bad either.

Kings are staging in most holes on the lower river however fishing from Sourdough down for some distance for Kings is slow at best. I can see the fishing picking up arond Sourdough down by Sun / Mon, but on the lower section of the river i.e. first 8 miles.

If your considering Sourdough contact Doug at Fish-On Charters.

Tight Lines

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Default Gulkana

Thanks for the update, planned on heading down this weekend, but sounds like its too early for the forks. They show like 24 fish have gone through the upper wier above the forks. Could be another week or so for the forks, ya think?

Default Fish_On charters

Do you have a phone # or website for Sourdough or Fish-On. Thinking about heading that way and couldn't find a lot on the net about it.

Thanks
    Ak_BigO

Red face Gulkana Fish ON / Forks

Doug Herron--Fish On River Guides Authorized Guide: Doug Herron Jet boat out of Sourdough 907-460-0244.

Doug runs a first Class operation and has a very good catch rate. Cell phone reception is slim out there, but Doug does check his messages daily.

Fishing the Forks is a solid 6-8 days away don't get me wrong there are fish available you just ahve to hunt and chase them down. Long days if you know what I mean.

If your looking for a 4-6 hour run on the Lower River i.e. below the Gulkana River RV park I have two guides working rafts down there willing to double up on the day i.e. run two trips verses one per day. Launch times are 0600 in the AM or 3:00PM depedning on the clients needs.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info Blue Moose. I think I'm gonna take the wife down next weekend for our anniversary (actually her idea!). Couldn't ask for any better trip. Haven't fished Gulkana much, we usually go on down to the Klutina. Looks like the reds are in Gulkana pretty thick right now, so that's defiinitely a bonus.

AK_BigO