Thread: UAA Feasibility Project - ORV Park

Default UAA Feasibility Project - ORV Park

Hello Everyone,

I am currently completing a feasibility project for my UAAEnglish A212 Course. I would greatlyappreciate everyone's input.

Please go to my Board on the AKAOHV forum, answer the polls located there, anddiscuss different aspects to each question. Check back often for new questions and to update your input to includechanging your answer as the discussion makes more progress.

Link to polls:

Many areas around the country and the world are having issueswith unsafe and illegal OHV use. OHV Park feasibility studies have beencompleted around the world. These studies conclude that having an organizedarea for users to socialize, learn, and practice creates safer users andprevents illegal OHV use.

Alaska has been following the actions of many of the other 49 states. Currentlythere is a large amount of pressure to close areas throughout the MatanuskaBorough. One of these areas is in the mountains around Sutton. MatSu TrailsCouncil and Alaska Association of Off Highway Vehicles (AKAOHV) have beenworking to get grants to create separate trails for hikers and for motorizedusers. The Sutton area has had a large amount of illegal riding occurring whichhas created advocates for closing the trails to motorized use. The evidencedemonstrates the need for an area where drivers can practice, learn and receivetraining.

The question is if it is feasible toconstruct and maintain a ORV park that would satisfy this need.

Thank you for your time,

Mike Flowers
    UAA Student

Palmer, AK

The key is that down south they are just looking to go ride. Up here we are looking to access areas of a state miles from the road for subsistence and recreation. Outside of private property there is very little illegal ohv use. There is plenty of people who feel that it any atv use should be illegal. Moose, bears, fox and native Alaskans have traveled the existing trails for thousands of years. The natural foot trails crisscross this state from top to bottom. If you want to walk on foot trails just get off the road thirty feet and find a moose trail then start walking it. The problem is hikers are scared of walking on narrow moose and bear trails. They want the big beaten down trails that ATV's make, they just don't want the ATV's on them.

Big Lake

I have an answer for the feasibility study. I see bankruptcy in the future for a private ORV park. The closest thing I've seen is Moore's camp and that's just paid access to state land. They're not making any money but they are having fun.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Eagle River,AK

Here is the problem with the ORV Park idea: IT starts out being a "training area" with the goal of creating safe, responsible riders that will go out and take care of the trails and ride legally. After a while the greenies talk the state into making it the official riding area as they close down remote riding areas and trails one by one. You are playing right into their hand by creating this park. And of course, the fees for riding in the park will go up year by year once they have limited everyone to riding only there. We will have to pay the price and be staisfied with it. We all need to see it for what it is: pure poison for ATVing in Alaska.