Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Musk Ox Hunt Cost

Default Musk Ox Hunt Cost

For those of you folks who have drawn a musk ox tag, what is the cost of the transporter? After 13 years of applying I didnt draw the tag, again, and it is the last AK animal I haven't harvested and I would love to get one. Reason for the post is I can go guided in the NWT for less than 6K and if it is comparable I will pull the pin for 15. Fishing for lakers, char and 100percent on ox. I know I sound like a kid demanding a soda at the store but hey, it's time!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Will 6K get your muskox back to the U.S.? If so, it might be worth it.

I drew the area up around shishmaref back about 2004 or so. Can't remember exactly. I do remember that at the time it was 2500 to hire the guide in shish plus about 750 in plane tickets to get to shish plus the cost of shipping your hide, horns, and meat back to anchorage. To save a few bucks I flew into nome, rented a snow machine, and then a buddy from nome and myself departed on our adventure in the middle of a blizzard. Really bad decision on our part and without going into the details of snow machine repair costs, wrecked freight sleds, and all that good stuff let me just say that the hunt cost me abut 4500 at that time. It was a helluva adventure for sure and every time I look at my life size mount I still think back on that trip and smile about how lucky we were.....

the current transporter cost is 3000 addtional person helper 600, tag is 500 another 1000 for hotel stay weather delays in bethel , extra baggage, tips.
    I was able to use ak airline miles for travel. I think the cost of hunt in canada is resonable but airfafe and baggage would add up quick along with cites permits to get stuff back in us alien hunting licence and tags. I'll let you know in march after I chase them around nunivak.

Gooch, the costs are comparable. Go to the NWT. You might be able to do it for cheaper but not allot cheaper. I know you want to get the Ox in Alaska but at least you can get an Ox. Another thing is to look up the auction list. See what organization is auctioning off a tag. Looks like this year the Ruffed Grouse Society, Anchorage Chapter have the tag for Auction in April.

(http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li..._2013_2014.pdf)

Do Both, Get one in 2014 and 2015.

Did my hunt with a partner in 2010 and our costs were about $5,200.00 each after all was said and done. The transporter fees have risen since and I'm sure some other associated costs. If you're hard-pressed for an ox, I'd look at Canada as well. I was looking at Canada as well and then I got drawn! Best of luck to you.

There will be paperwork to get your animal parts back in US. I don't think Ox are on the CITIES list tho.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

+ 1 ...What they all said...by the time you pay all the extras...you are easy into 6K for Nunivak...I am sure you can do it cheaper but how much is your time worth...Weather delays, hotels, trespass fees, extra observer all adds up...6K is a pretty good deal...

I think I was $6k into it, with the taxidermy on a shoulder mount. If you are into the trophy aspect of the hunt, the NWT bulls are significantly bigger from a B&C standpoint.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Gooch,

Do you want the big animal and horns or just to say you shot one in Alaska? We can talk offline but there are ways of doing this on the low priced side if you really want to stay in Alaska. As fshgde said, the guy in Shish is $3,000.

Randy

Here is a breakdown I provided from my March 2009 hunt.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=Jerod Pictures are on the bottom of page 2.

Costs are as follows:
    Transporter - $3,000
    Tag - $500
    License - $62
    Round trip flight from Bethel to Mekoryuk on Grant Aviation - $420
    20,000 frequent flier miles plus $10 for first attempted flight
    30,000 frequent flier miles plus $20 for second flight with friend
    $100 bed and breakfast in Bethel
    $100 charge after refund on 2 Hageland tickets
    7500 frequent flier miles plus $10 for third flight. They had a glitch and only charged half.
    $100 land use permit. (new fee starting this year according to Abe)
    Extra weight on Grant with musk ox at $1.00 per pound = $247
    Change fee on Alaska and extra overweight bag fees = $225 (she cut me a deal and knocked the amount in half)

Total cost out of pocket was $4374 plus I had some food and misc. supplies I had to buy for the hunt, so call it $4500. If I would of had an observer along, it would have run an extra $500 for the transporter plus $420 for the flight. I would have saved a little on extra bags and cargo fees though, so probably would have cost an extra $800 to have somebody tag along. I had asked him if the price would be less for 2 hunters, but it is $3000 per hunter regardless if you go together or separate.

Some other notes:

Grant was cheaper than Hagelands on both ticket price and extra weight. Hagelands wanted $1.75 per pound over 100lbs. and Grant charged $1.00 per pound over 100lbs.

Brown Slough Bed and Breakfast is a really nice place to stay.

Mekoryuk airstrip is quite a ways from Mekoryuk, so make sure you have warm clothes on for the snowmachine ride into town. It felt like it was a couple of miles.

Martentrapper ( great guy) would know for sure, but I think the days of flying into Nome and renting sleds from him for a "local" DIY hunt are over for now. I was lucky enough to do this a few years ago and got a nice bull with my bow. I didn't care about the trophy value which was good since this is a subsistence hunt. The meat is the best Alaskan game I have eaten. A good taxidermist could fix the cut horn requirements and give you the trophy if needed. My costs for that hunt were under $1000 using airmiles.

No more hunting the Sew. Pen. unless you live there. Draw hunts are over. No more guide for Ox in Shish. All unit 22 will likely be tier II. All of it except 22E is tier II this year.
    If you don't live in 22 and want an alaskan ox, put in for the Nunivak draw.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Good god! That is expensive meat!

Oh Canada....

If you search the archives, you can find a detailed cost I wrote up for Rose's Nunivak hunt in 2005. Add at least 1000 to that.
    My Shish guide in 2009 was 3500 for me and 1000 for boy.

I'm too drunk in Maui right now to remember any more details. Talk to you when you get to Anc.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

My father in law is going to Greenland and the estimated cost for his Muskox is around 14K. I don't think that includes taxidermy. Expensive animal, but will be worth the cost and memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    For those of you folks who have drawn a musk ox tag, what is the cost of the transporter? After 13 years of applying I didnt draw the tag, again, and it is the last AK animal I haven't harvested and I would love to get one. Reason for the post is I can go guided in the NWT for less than 6K and if it is comparable I will pull the pin for 15. Fishing for lakers, char and 100percent on ox. I know I sound like a kid demanding a soda at the store but hey, it's time!
    Well, no draw tag pretty much narrows down your choices. We went in 2010 to Nunivak using Abe and pretty much spent the same as Jerod in 2009. We did the fall hunt tho... I was just in Bethel and hotel was $190 unless you hit a ***** hole but what's $50 at that point.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I'm too drunk in Maui right now to remember any more details. Talk to you when you get to Anc.
    LOL! I was just there, and according to wifey I was drunk more than sober. Was drinking tequila when the draw results were emailed. Debated to myself back and forth should I open email now or the morning when I could actually read them, LOL.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies. It's been a dream of mine since moving to Ak years ago to get an ix. Why I don't know but man does it have me excited.

Kusko - the hunt itsself is 5K or so, you can drive the Dempster to Yellowkinife from what they said and it is all inclusive from there. I figured 6K for driving etc. Or at least that's what i'll tell the wife ;-)

Safari - sounds like an adventure! I had a trip lined out for this winter last year but they closed down the registration. Oh well, probably would have been a disaster.

Polardds - Alaska isn't the important thing for me as much as a good time chasing arctic critters. I have been blessed recently with getting to do some great hunts around NA and I just enjoy to hunt! Doing 2 maybe more than I need, I like to hunt deer yearly but truth be told a lot of critters are a one time shot for me.

Tlingit, trophies are secondary to the experience for me, just want to chase them! Big is nice though I did see they are bigger there.

Randy, if you go to the GASS hit me up, would love to chat with you. I would love to hunt AK but I know I might as well do it while I have the time and $. Being in the business I'm in my falls and summers are shot for hunting so I need to do things basically in October and December-April.

Jerod - thanks brother, great info there.

Milo- you old hound, lay off the Mai Tai's! I will see you in a few weeks, you are looking good for bear down here this spring, no snow. Bring a steelhead rod all the rivers will be accessible.

Thanks again fellas I have a bunch to think about. I have my hunts already for this year thanks to the wife, going after 4 different deer which will be fun (if anyone has a Coues lead why not 5 ;-) Good luck to everyone this year hopefully you got the tags you wanted.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I just returned from Nunivak with my Ox two weeks ago and here are my cost,
    500.00 for tag
    470.00 Ak air
    536.00 Grant
    3000.00 transporter
    450.00 shipping meat and horns MK to anch
    250.00 tip
    5206.00 total W/Out taxidermy
    I luckly did not have to spend any days in Bethel but the trip was worth every penny and well worth it for the experiance and adventure.
    this bull also was my last Ak big game animal to have harvested all of them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast