Thread: DM769 Central Tanana Flats any bull

Default DM769 Central Tanana Flats any bull

Ok here goes nothing. Has anyone done this hunt in the last year or two? Is it better to go by boat or get flown in? Maybe even have your 4 wheeler ferried across the Tanana River and go from there? Just looking for ideas to help with the process. If you don't want to write in the thread a PM is fine. It's an any bull tag and they did give out 275 permits so I'm sure my partner and I won't be lonely out there.

Our group got 4 of those tags. 2 of us got them last year, and we usually get at least 1 every year.

Getting inland is your best bet. The river gets hit pretty hard, and the boat traffic pushes the moose inland. Flying out is an option, but there are only so many placed you can land out there. There is some dry country, but a lot of it is very wet and swampy. Lots of dead fall from the fires over the last decade which makes running wheelers very difficult. The moose move around out there, so it helps to be able to spend the time if you can. Lots of mid 40" 2 brown tine bulls running around. Find some nice size fields and look for sign in the thicker forests bordering the fields. One other thing to keep in mind is that it is very easy to get turned around out there. GPS your camp, boat, and kill site.

If you plan to ferry a 4 wheeler over the river, make sure you have the equipment to pull a boat off a sandbar with the added weight. We are putting in the days to get into some new areas out there because we want to get away from the crowds. It's not easy, but I'm hoping it will pay off in the long run.

Thanks Jerod I appreciate the info. Will send a PM

Jerod can't send a pm your box is full

Jerod- That's really interesting. When I've hunted over there I've hunted the rivers and done okay but when you look at the map I know it's such a huge area and I've always wondered if people got back in by....for example Clear Dome (or is it "Clear Butte") and some of the other hills further south. You are right it is easy to get turned around back in there and it sure is easy to get a boat stuck the further afield you get

Also I don't know anything about plane landing strips in that area but I haven't done the research yet.

So i'm curious....when you are talking about getting further back, how far south are you really talking? A quarter of the way down the hunt map? Half the way etc?

In general, I'm talking about getting inland from the river. I won't disclose my area, but I don't bother with the Clear Creek off Salchaket Slough. Too many boats and hunters for my liking. I've run that creek before and don't like all the blind corners. There are reasons people go there though, I think the moose densities are a little higher. We generally don't see a lot of moose where we've been going, but after 4-5 years of learning the area, we've got it down pretty good and always bring home at least one.

Cool. I hear ya. After I posted I realize that I should have clarified by saying that I am not hunting that area this year and chose to do Tier I Caribou. I want to do a hike in mountain hunt this year and I think Tier I will provide that (plus the guaranteed permit). I appreciate your reply and wouldn't ask you to disclose your area and apologize for not clarifying in my earlier post. I do enjoy hunting the Salchaket and Clear Creek and have had some success there but also come home empty handed as well.
    I am really curious if anyone pounds deep into the hunt area at all during the fall.....it just seems so dense. It seems to me that maybe 90% of the hunt area sees no pressure....with the majority of the pressure occurring on Salchaket, the north end of Clear Creek, the north end of the Wood River and the little sloughs off the tanana but I could be way off. I've often wondered how far south into the unit people get. Maybe with airboats.... Anyway...already excited for hunting season and every year is a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    In general, I'm talking about getting inland from the river. I won't disclose my area, but I don't bother with the Clear Creek off Salchaket Slough. Too many boats and hunters for my liking. I've run that creek before and don't like all the blind corners. There are reasons people go there though, I think the moose densities are a little higher. We generally don't see a lot of moose where we've been going, but after 4-5 years of learning the area, we've got it down pretty good and always bring home at least one.
    I second this I hunted that permit a few years ago and walked out to a clearing every morning and evening off of clear creek lots and lots of boats, lots of blind corners, haul a camp and hunt the clearings stay off river

Thought I'd bump this to the top to see if anyone has anymore info. If not carry on. Thanks all

I've hunted this area for 26 years,for years it was open to any bull and no cow hunts the hunting was out of this world. Now with the cow hunt and the permits for any bull it has gained popularity and even people from anchorage are putting in for it such as yourself, I think you should under stand that this area is a shadow of it's former self.

Example. Before the cow hunts and the bull permits on an average ride in my boat to my hunting camp I would jump at least a half a dozen Moose on the river/creek. Many times we would shoot a bull on the way to camp. Now I am lucky to see one moose every two or three trips and may not see a bull for four or five days of hunting. It has turned into a zoo in my opinion. I still made a couple of mid week runs to my favorite spots,the last few years. but as of last year I have moved on and hunt moose elsewhere now.

Fish and Game seems to have a knack for screwing up hunting areas.

I guess I should thank ADF&G I have found a new spot that I hunt with family only, and its loaded with Moose and no people.

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I've hunted this area for 26 years,for years it was open to any bull and no cow hunts the hunting was out of this world. Now with the cow hunt and the permits for any bull it has gained popularity and even people from anchorage are putting in for it such as yourself, I think you should under stand that this area is a shadow of it's former self.

Example. Before the cow hunts and the bull permits on an average ride in my boat to my hunting camp I would jump at least a half a dozen Moose on the river/creek. Many times we would shoot a bull on the way to camp. Now I am lucky to see one moose every two or three trips and may not see a bull for four or five days of hunting. It has turned into a zoo in my opinion. I still made a couple of mid week runs to my favorite spots,the last few years. but as of last year I have moved on and hunt moose elsewhere now.

I guess I should thank ADF&G I have found a new spot that I hunt with family only, and its loaded with Moose and no people.
    Yeah my partner and I used to hunt the Kenai peninsula but with the change in the laws a couple years ago its almost not worth it to hunt anymore. Last year we hunted the Healy area with no success. I was hoping getting this any bull permit would help our chances at least a bit. I guess the only way to know is get out there and hunt. Thanks for the info, it does help. A scouting trip sometime this summer is in store.

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post

I have to agree I got the chance to hunt any bull 1 year think it was one of the last years available, and we seen 3 bulls from the boat, and lots of cows