Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 Weatherby

Default 300 Weatherby

I may have a 300 weatherby in the works. i have a few questions. First off this rifle will be a Remington 700 with 24" barrel. I have heard the 26" is better for a case of this size but I don't like anything over 24". So I will deal with the handicap. Right now I have H4350, IMR 4350, H4831, RL15,17, and 19 on hand. Will any of these powders work good with this length barrel and a 180-200 grain bullet? Also, has anybody had any experience shooting the Speer 200 gr Hot Cor to Weatherby velocities? Will it hold up? I have only ever shot it out of a 30-06. Thanks for any help.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I have shot 180 gr E-Tips out of a 300 WSM (24" barrel) @ 3200 fps with RL17 and out of a 300 RUM (26" barrel) @ 3400 fps with Retumbo, using a whole lot less powder with the 300 WSM. I tried RL17 in the RUM and also got 3400 fps with it but only 85% case capacity. The 300 WBY is in between, closer to the RUM, so, RL17 might work OK. IMO, 4350 and RL15 will be a bit fast. Never tried RL19 but should be slower than 17 but probably not as good velocity. On your list, I would say RL17, H4831 and RL19 in that order with 180 bullets. For 200 bullets, Probably 4831 and slower, like H1000 and Retumbo.

No experience with the Hot Cor bullets.

As it happens, I have a NIB SS Sub MOA 300 WBY Vanguard (24" barrel). with a 3 shot factory target measuring .4" listed for sale on ARMSLIST for $850. It has a pillar bedded B&C stock.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

You can get those powders to work but you probably won't get the best out of the Wby. case. Nosler has data for 4831 and 4350 with 180gr bullets but only gives it 3k fps or so. The 24" barrel is another handicap to the case but not that big of a deal.

IMO- I don't think the Speer Hot Cor is the right choice at full throttle Weatherby velocity. If there were ever a cartridge that really calls for the mono-metal and tough controlled expansion bullets- the .300Wby is it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Well imr4350 used to be the weatherby go to powder so I am sure (as hodgeman pointed out) you will be able to find plenty of load data for that powder. I also tried h4831 but didn't work out for me but may for you. I do also agree on bullet selection I would only shoot top quality bullets.. I use 200 gr bullets and I believe 84 grains( don't quote me)of imr7828

Looking at different data it looks like 7828 and RL22 seem to be real popular with this cartridge. I've had good luck with the Nosler Accubonds in other calibers might have to find some in .308. My old Lyman book shows 79.0 grains of IMR4350 as a max load. That is about 5 grains hotter than what Nosler has.
    Does the double radius shoulder on the Weatherby case add or detract from case life? Or does it make a difference in that department?

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Looking at different data it looks like 7828 and RL22 seem to be real popular with this cartridge. I've had good luck with the Nosler Accubonds in other calibers might have to find some in .308. My old Lyman book shows 79.0 grains of IMR4350 as a max load. That is about 5 grains hotter than what Nosler has.
    I've had good luck with the Nosler AB in the 3k fps MV range- quite a few dead critters that were punched clean through at ranges from 80 to 330yds. I like them a lot. Nosler data seems pretty conservative across the board- I use their loaded ammo in my .300WSM and it's 100-150 slower than other loads but just drives tacks.

Weatherby factory is about as hot as it gets. I believe Alliant is coming out with a very slow powder specifically for the big cased magnums- (RL-33?) although i've not seen data or specs for it yet.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You can get .308 cal 180 and 200gr AB's,and the 200's have been fairly popular LR bullets in the past. 7828 and RL22 have also been popular powders but other powders in that class have come out to produce a little better results. The weight of bullet in this cartrdge will have a say in the best powder, not to mention the "personality" of the rifle, especially chamber and throat specs. Other than RL17, I would be looking at the Hodgdon extreme powders in the slower range. RL 22 and 25 are known to be top performers in velocity but also known to be very temp sensitive.

RL17 is a whole different technology and RL33 is the same technology in a slower burning powder for larger volume cases, especially developed for the 338 Lapua. I can't say for sure but probably too slow for the 300 WBY.

As far as case life, I doubt you'll find any data to confirm or deny either way that the double radius has any affect. In my 300 RUM, primer pockets are gone in about 4 - 6 firings. Necks and shoulders are not a factor. The brass manufacturer and your loads will determine case life more than the shoulder shape.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I use 168 grain TTSX bullets with Varget or H1000 with great results in my Rem .300WBY 26" barrel. I used to shoot 180 grain noslers over H4831 but switched due to the exeptional results with the 168 Barnes. This also reduced recoil to make it fun to shoot again. If you go cheap on your brass it won't last as long as going with Nosler custom, Lapua or Norma. I don't shoot it all the time so I enjoy the better brass for a bit more money. These are flat shooting velocity guns that do a number on anything in Alaska you want to hunt. Get a good bullet that won't fall apart and you won't have any issues
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

The first loads I worked up after I got my Winchester M-70 in 300 Weatherby many years ago was the 200 grain Speer Hot Core with IMR4350, CCI 250s and Remington brass. I have never had any reason to try any other bullets, or powder.

Have used h4831 on many loads from 150-180 had very good results, had slightly better with imr4350 pushing 220's

H4831 was my old mans go to powder, he pulled off some amazing shot's! After the bet's me and my brothers packed out a few elk.

Why the 300 over the big 358? Just wondering. Do you look to change accuracy, long range shooting, recoil? Or, did you just want another gun to play with, because that is just fine too.

If you want accuracy and/or long range shooting then you are asking how to compromise. Usually, long range/accuracy does not do well with just making do with what ever you may have on hand. You might get lucky, but usually you need to go with the premium stuff. Get the most efficient powder with the best temp sensitivity for the 300wby and get some premium bullets that will hold-up at close range at 3200fps.

Seems like I remember another thread where you were looking to shoot that big 358 500 yards. Is the Wby for 500 yards too? Oh the joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Why the 300 over the big 358? Just wondering. Do you look to change accuracy, long range shooting, recoil? Or, did you just want another gun to play with, because that is just fine too.

If you want accuracy and/or long range shooting then you are asking how to compromise. Usually, long range/accuracy does not do well with just making do with what ever you may have on hand. You might get lucky, but usually you need to go with the premium stuff. Get the most efficient powder with the best temp sensitivity for the 300wby and get some premium bullets that will hold-up at close range at 3200fps.

Seems like I remember another thread where you were looking to shoot that big 358 500 yards. Is the Wby for 500 yards too? Oh the joy.
    Am I missing something? I love my wby but don't think you will see 3200fps out of her, if you go lower than 180 you will but that's not what he's asking.

Whats wrong with wanting to get the best out of a rifle? The wby will reach out and touch stuff so why not

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Am I missing something? I love my wby but don't think you will see 3200fps out of her, if you go lower than 180 you will but that's not what he's asking.

Whats wrong with wanting to get the best out of a rifle? The wby will reach out and touch stuff so why not
    Ya, maybe that post did not capture what I was getting at. I was remembering 358's other long range questions and was wondering if this rifle was an answer to the 500 yard question. I actually really like this topic and love to see what people have to say about the hopped up magnums. Not intentionally disrespecting the wby or you 358.... Just trying to make conversation. Thanks for keeping it real.

By the way, Hornady and Nosler both show load data for 180g bullets at the 3200fps mark with the 300 wby, and the powders listed in the original post are listed, so maybe it will all work out.

Well I'll be darned, I just looked at hodgdens site and checked real quick it showed much less, how much 4831 are they showing maybe time to update the library

I be seen a few 180 grain bullet loads on some other sites that were claiming they were pushing 3300fps.... If true that's smokin...

I can push 180's @ 3200 with RL17 in a 300 WSM. The WBY should easily do better.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Ok I guess it's finally time for a chrono, been meaning to get one but now I can tell the wife I have to now

I'd push all those powders to the side and go directly to the RL25 if you looking for velocity in that big case. Critters are impressed when hit via 180gr at 3400 fps out of my RUM, even more so with a 200gr at 3200! Include the generous BC of the bullet, could probably shoot to the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Mostly just another gun. Kinda always wanted a .308 magnum of some sort. I was going to go with a 300 winnie but found a bunch of R-P 300 Weatherby brass and dies at a recent gun show. Should be a fun one to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Mostly just another gun. Kinda always wanted a .308 magnum of some sort. I was going to go with a 300 winnie but found a bunch of R-P 300 Weatherby brass and dies at a recent gun show. Should be a fun one to play with.
    You know you are a "gun nut" when you buy a rifle because you found a good deal on reloading components for it.

Then, never mind. Shoot what you have and what you want. Have fun eh.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast